Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #1

Water heater

I own a 2010 378, and will be full timing for a few months. Normally when I go out for a weekend trip I turn the hot water heater on prior to using the shower and wait for the water to get hot. Now I will be going to work in the morning and will be crunched for time. My question is, if it is turned on the night prior does it sit idle until the hot water is turned on, or is it burning propane the entire time it is on.
alsimmon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsimmon11 View Post
I own a 2010 378, and will be full timing for a few months. Normally when I go out for a weekend trip I turn the hot water heater on prior to using the shower and wait for the water to get hot. Now I will be going to work in the morning and will be crunched for time. My question is, if it is turned on the night prior does it sit idle until the hot water is turned on, or is it burning propane the entire time it is on.
My experience with 6 gal gas heater, it only cranks up a few times at night to keep the tank hot, not much gas. Have you considered the elect. conversion kit if you don't have it? Believe CW carries a kit.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #3

Are you sure that you don't have electric option in your hot water heater? Take the outside cover off and look for a small rocker type switch on the lower left corner. You really have to look hard for it.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #4

Another clue is to look at the AC breaker panel and look for a 110 breaker labeled WaterHeater, or WH.

I thought mine was gas only until I discovered the breaker and found the element was fried.

While the element was bad, I used the propane and left it on a few nights. I don't think it used much gas.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #5

Thanks for the info, I will check for that electrical option.
alsimmon11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #6

We camp full time and leave the HW on all the time. 30# of gas will last about one month if only using for water and cooking. Went using to run furnace a 30# tank will last one week.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #7

While we are on the topic of water heater, I have a switch inside that says water heater. When I hit that switch to on what am I doing? Turning on the electric portion or gas portion. Looked, but the book does not say.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #8

In my motor home, the switch on the panel where the tank level indicators are is the gas WH switch. The electric is on the AC breaker panel...But, you may not have electric...

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
While we are on the topic of water heater, I have a switch inside that says water heater. When I hit that switch to on what am I doing? Turning on the electric portion or gas portion. Looked, but the book does not say.
In my camper the inside switch controls the DC portion of the propane fired circuit to heat the water.

The 120 volt AC element is controlled by a black switch OUTSIDE under the water heater cover.

Some units have both switches (AC and DC/Propane) inside.

The RESET light indicates the DC/Propane side of the heater is calling for heat. If it stays lit, the propane did not light for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside picture of Water Heater.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	20055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocker Switch.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	20056  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suburban Water Heater Repair and Operation.pdf (3.60 MB, 43 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769

In my camper the inside switch controls the DC portion of the propane fired circuit to heat the water.

The 120 volt AC element is controlled by a black switch OUTSIDE under the water heater cover.

Some units have both switches (AC and DC/Propane) inside.

The RESET light indicates the DC/Propane side of the heater is calling for heat. If it stays lit, the propane did not light for some reason.
Well said Lou, covered all the bases. I note an anomly in the center pic, the anode is out, heater is dry, the electric switch is on!
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Well said Lou, covered all the bases. I note an anomly in the center pic, the anode is out, heater is dry, the electric switch is on!
Great observation. Lets hope the owner of the camper used in that photo noticed it too!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #12

To make sure I understand. When I place the switch on water heater box to on, It will work off of electric, If I want a faster hot water recovery or use propane ,I should turn on the internal switch. If I do not want to use propane, leave the internal switch off.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
To make sure I understand. When I place the switch on water heater box to on, It will work off of electric, If I want a faster hot water recovery or use propane ,I should turn on the internal switch. If I do not want to use propane, leave the internal switch off.
Make sure there is water in there before you turn anything on. Trying to run the water heater without water will burn up your heating element in about 3 seconds and will trip your high limit thermostat if you try it on propane.

Other wise you have it exactly right. Since the propane is far more efficient at heating the water quickly, I use the propane always and only turn on the electric as a booster if there are guests in the camper.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
If we are looking at the same center picture, the electric switch is not on - it has the pin though it.

I think it is difficult to determine from the top picture what the position of the electric switch is, but am I not seeing what you are seeing in the center picture?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
If we are looking at the same center picture, the electric switch is not on - it has the pin though it.

I think it is difficult to determine from the top picture what the position of the electric switch is, but am I not seeing what you are seeing in the center picture?
They are different campers and I was using those as "best examples" of what I was trying to convey. The photo with the anode out does indeed have the power sitch in the "ON" position. Not my camper and if the power is on he is buying a new heating element for sure.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #16

If you're staying in a campground where you're paying for hookups, and you have an electric hot water tank option, use it. If you are paying for electricity, use the propane option, it will always be cheaper.
Hankster 2007 Georgetown 359TS
Hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankster View Post
If you're staying in a campground where you're paying for hookups, and you have an electric hot water tank option, use it. If you are paying for electricity, use the propane option, it will always be cheaper.
Hankster 2007 Georgetown 359TS
The following applies to both 50 amd 30 amp services; but it is VERY important to 30 amp users.

ALWAYS do a voltage check if you do. Water heater elements run on Watts. The Suburban water heaters are 1000 watt elements at 120 volts ~ 8.33 amps.

Since the resistance of the element is fixed, as the voltage drops the efficiency of the water heater to heat water drops as well. V=IR so to find that resistance we divide 120 by 8.33 and discover the resistance to be 14.4 ohms.

At 108 volts (typical summer voltage) the 1000 watt element will actually use far less amps than at 120 volts. V=IR or I = 108/14.4 or 7.5 amps

While this may sound like an inconsequential number, 7.5 amps times 108 volts is 810 watts or a 19% LESS efficient heating element.

The upshot is the water heater will most likely run constantly and as far as recovery while showering; forget it. Additionally, since your air conditioner is an inductive load and not a resistive load, you might just need those amps to get your air conditioner to turn over since in an inductive load the Watts are FIXED. You NEED the watts to spin the compressor.

Depending on the actual voltage, the current required to spin up the compressor may exceed 30 amps on a 15K air conditioner momentarily and needs 14.5 amps (per airconditioner) to run once the fan and compressor are up to speed.

This can trip the breaker at the camper's panel (if it is weak) or at the pole if you are already using the pole's 30 amp breaker to run your fridge (~3 amps) and water heater (~8 amps) on AC.

It also will not leave very many amps available to watch TV or charge your phone.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
The following applies to both 50 amd 30 amp services; but it is VERY important to 30 amp users.

ALWAYS do a voltage check if you do. Water heater elements run on Watts. The Suburban water heaters are 1000 watt elements at 120 volts ~ 8.33 amps.

Since the resistance of the element is fixed, as the voltage drops the efficiency of the water heater to heat water drops as well. V=IR so to find that resistance we divide 120 by 8.33 and discover the resistance to be 14.4 ohms.

At 108 volts (typical summer voltage) the 1000 watt element will actually use far less amps than at 120 volts. V=IR or I = 108/14.4 or 7.5 amps

While this may sound like an inconsequential number, 7.5 amps times 108 volts is 810 watts or a 19% LESS efficient heating element.

The upshot is the water heater will most likely run constantly and as far as recovery while showering; forget it. Additionally, since your air conditioner is an inductive load and not a resistive load, you might just need those amps to get your air conditioner to turn over since in an inductive load the Watts are FIXED. You NEED the watts to spin the compressor.

Depending on the actual voltage, the current required to spin up the compressor may exceed 30 amps on a 15K air conditioner momentarily and needs 14.5 amps (per airconditioner) to run once the fan and compressor are up to speed.

This can trip the breaker at the camper's panel (if it is weak) or at the pole if you are already using the pole's 30 amp breaker to run your fridge (~3 amps) and water heater (~8 amps) on AC.

It also will not leave very many amps available to watch TV or charge your phone.
Way too complicated.....on 50 amps it's electric hot water all the way! That's with two a/cs running. Never a problem. Now on a 30 amp pole, we do the power managment trick.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:27 AM   #19
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
Way too complicated.....on 50 amps it's electric hot water all the way! That's with two a/cs running. Never a problem. Now on a 30 amp pole, we do the power managment trick.
Obviously, delivered power is campground wiring and temperature dependent.

Newer campgrounds or older campgrounds with upgraded power lines can deliver 120 volts all summer long regardless of temperature.

Older campgrounds with aluminum 30 amp service rated wire runs have degraded voltage as the temperature incresases due to the decrease in current carrying capability in hot weather (just when you need it the most).

Search here for extensive coverage of the "why" aluminum service is "bad" in July.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-26268.html
Old 10-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #20

Don't forget that the switch controls heating using 120VAC. If the generator is not running and the coach isn't plugged into shore power, then there's no power available for the electric heating element.

It's easy to flip the switch to the ON position to take a picture and it won't effect the heater in the tank. I also like the cotter pin arrangement to prevent accidentally turning on the switch. It's a great safety when storing the coach.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote