Old 12-25-2015, 11:18 AM   #1

Cool Water heater

I...no...my husband.... just dewinterized our Georgetown, filled the fresh water tank, fired up the water heater and OOPS forgot to fill the hot water tank. Now it will only heat with ele. What did I ruin? Forgetfull

Old 12-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju View Post
I just dewinterized our Georgetown, filled the fresh water tank, fired up the water heater and OPPS forgot to fill the hot water tank. Now it will only heat with ele. What did I ruin?
You usually only ruin the electric heating element when using it without water in the tank. Are you sure you haven't crossed what is and what is not working? Is the electric working and the propane not, or is it actually the propane that is working and not the electric? I am assuming you have the Suburban brand water heater. If so, then the following applies:

If as you stated it is working off the electric heating element (which it sounds like you didn't ruin), but is not working off of propane, then a few things could have happened.

The first thing to check is of hi-limit temperature ECO switch, which may have either tripped (it is resettable) or burned out possibly.

There are two ECO switches. one for the propane/DC side and one for the electric heating element side. They are underneath a rubber cover on the face of the water heater. Go outside and just press these, to see if the propane ECO one tripped.

Hold on and I will edit this post with pics.

If you access the water heater from the access panel on outside of the RV, you will see a rubber cover like in the pic below. You can just press the round part to reset the high temperature ECO switches to see if they have tripped due to a high temperature in the water heater. If I recall correctly the left one is for the electric heating element and the right one if for the propane/dsi side.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:24 AM   #3

Does your gas try to light?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 12-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #4

I tried the ECO switches already. They don't appear to be triped.
Old 12-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013leprechaun319dsf View Post
Does your gas try to light?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Nope
Old 12-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
Site Team

The second thing to check (if it is actually the propane/dsi side of the water heater that is not working) is to make sure your are not in lockout mode.

You have to turn the propane/dsi switch off for a little bit...then turn it back on. If for some reason the propane didn't ignite correctly, after the system tried three times, it went into lockout mode. You have to fully turn off the inside switch, and back on again to reset the lockout so the propane can try to ignite again with the Direct Spark Ignitor (DSI)

You may go into lockout mode due to propane delivery problems too. Turn on the stove burner for a little bit to help purge the air from the propane lines.

Then try to use the propane/dsi switch and see if it works.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
You usually only ruin the electric heating element when using it without water in the tank. Are you sure you haven't crossed what is and what is not working? Is the electric working and the propane not, or is it actually the propane that is working and not the electric? I am assuming you have the Suburban brand water heater. If so, then the following applies:

If as you stated it is working off the electric heating element (which it sounds like you didn't ruin), but is not working off of propane, then a few things could have happened.

The first thing to check is of hi-limit temperature ECO switch, which may have either tripped (it is resettable) or burned out possibly.

There are two ECO switches. one for the propane/DC side and one for the electric heating element side. They are underneath a rubber cover on the face of the water heater. Go outside and just press these, to see if the propane ECO one tripped.

Hold on and I will edit this post with pics.

If you access the water heater from the access panel on outside of the RV, you will see a rubber cover like in the pic below. You can just press the round part to reset the high temperature ECO switches to see if they have tripped due to a high temperature in the water heater. If I recall correctly the left one is for the electric heating element and the right one if for the propane/dsi side.

Elec works. Propane doesn't. I tried the resets. Propane reset is not triped. If I ruined the propane switch how hard is it to replace?
Old 12-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #8
Site Team

It's not hard to replace, you just rmove the rubber cover, remove two wire connections and unbolt it.

however, let's check the easy first, have you made sure you purged possible air in the propane lines first. have you used the stove as I mentioned in a post above?

Old 12-25-2015, 11:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
It's not hard to replace, you just rmove the rubber cover, remove two wire connections and unbolt it.

however, let's check the easy first, have you made sure you purged possible air in the propane lines first. have you used the stove as I mentioned in a post above?
Ok, I just lite the stove. Tried the propane reset switch again.....it won't reset. I can feel it depress but just comes back out.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:00 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju View Post
Ok, I just lite the stove. Tried the propane reset switch again.....it won't reset. I can feel it depress but just comes back out.
Have you turned off the switch INSIDE your RV. I may have not been clear that this is the switch that you have to turn off then back on again to reset the lockout (if it occured)?

Tags
heater, water, water heater