Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 08:58 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoil7 View Post
Thanks Bubbles, but no, the propane is turned off as well. I am not actually trying to start it, just wondering if it is normal, or in other words, was there any harm done when someone left that indoor switch on. I'll be de-winterizing in a few days, so I'm sure I'll find out anyways
Thanks all.
Well then, the reason the light is on is because it couldn't ignite (normal operation with propane off) and there should be no issues when. You can open the propane valve and try your system (even though there is no water in tank) to make sure it will ignite and the light goes out. It may take a few times of switching the wh on and off till propane reaches wh as evidenced by light staying out with burner ignited. Just don't leave wh on very long without water in tank.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:38 AM   #22
WDK

Water heater panel light??

The exact nomenclature is important true enough though you could call what is inside the furnace as well a burner as well. A furnace can be created by a bellows blowing in a flame....put a pot over it...it boils water.....put a fan behind it then it's a heater.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:02 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Well then, the reason the light is on is because it couldn't ignite (normal operation with propane off) and there should be no issues when. You can open the propane valve and try your system (even though there is no water in tank) to make sure it will ignite and the light goes out. It may take a few times of switching the wh on and off till propane reaches wh as evidenced by light staying out with burner ignited. Just don't leave wh on very long without water in tank.
Awesome, thanks Bubbles. That's exactly what I was asking. Happy camping!
USAF Vet
bigoil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirwriter View Post
Well I'm really confused. I have a 2014 Puma, which has the Puma light/button near the sink on the wall. My red hot water light stays on all the time. If I turn it off, the hot water goes off. If I run out of propane on a cold night, the light is still on but the water gets cold. I turn the light off for about 10 seconds and turn it back on, and the water starts heating again. Now, after reading all your posts I'm wondering why my red light stays on all the time. The Puma "Control Center" is cheaply made and the only thing that works on it is that red light for the hot water heater. The sensors on the tanks are a joke, and even though I use the water softener/Dawn trick, which does make it smell good, all 3 tanks show full all the time.
You are fine on your system the light is on to show it (the propane) is working (Mine is the same way) Different set up. If you turn the Switch (light) off you are turning the water heater off. There should also be an on off switch outside (somewhat hidden) to use the water hater on electric,

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:34 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDK View Post
The exact nomenclature is important true enough though you could call what is inside the furnace as well a burner as well. A furnace can be created by a bellows blowing in a flame....put a pot over it...it boils water.....put a fan behind it then it's a heater.

WDK
Right
... and I'm guessing that when you cook a hamburger on a propane grill, you call the grill a furnace since it has a flame in it. That is, if you can get your "ingnighter" to fire up your hamburger cooking furnace.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:22 AM   #26

My old rig, an Allegro, whether the water tank was on propane, electric or both, the lights stayed lit on either switch to let me know that the water heater was on. On my Georgetown the propane light only stays on during ignition. I wished it did stay on so I would remember to turn off when breaking camp. Of course many GT's have that crappy little switch outside behind the water heater door for electric.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:39 PM   #27
WDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
My old rig, an Allegro, whether the water tank was on propane, electric or both, the lights stayed lit on either switch to let me know that the water heater was on. On my Georgetown the propane light only stays on during ignition. I wished it did stay on so I would remember to turn off when breaking camp. Of course many GT's have that crappy little switch outside behind the water heater door for electric.

Had to add that switch behind the door to my check list to remember to turn it off though others have brought that switch inside with a light that I will probably do later. I suppose it's no real harm when you plug back in at home unless you start flushing tanks and bleed them dry. I tend to switch back and forth between electric and propane on each outing to exercise the functionality. Would hate to be running low on propane and need it more for heat or cooking and find out the electric side is not working or vice versa when I can't plug in it don't want to use the generator.

WDK
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:47 PM   #28

That "Crappy little switch outside" is not exclusive to G-town. It's the water furnace manufacturer.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #29

That may be true about the "crappy little switch", however what would it have taken for GT to wire it to the panel or somewhere convenient during the build process.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 11:01 AM   #30
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Right
..."ingnighter"
And what is an "ingnighter"?
Old 04-01-2015, 12:08 PM   #31
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
And what is an "ingnighter"?
I think I can guess. I 'borrowed' it from a post above!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #32

Big oil - what was the verdict? Did your water heater work ok or no? Curious - because same thing happened to me last weekend on my first trip since dewinterizing. I haven't pulled it out of our shop to check it out yet...hoping you have good news to share? Spouse is optimistic bur after reading things posted on this topic, I am thinking I should jist order that element and keep on stand by.

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
That may be true about the "crappy little switch", however what would it have taken for GT to wire it to the panel or somewhere convenient during the build process.

Learned the hard way that is you forget to turn the switch to off and then drain your WH, the element won't last long.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by handbuilder View Post
Big oil - what was the verdict? Did your water heater work ok or no? Curious - because same thing happened to me last weekend on my first trip since dewinterizing. I haven't pulled it out of our shop to check it out yet...hoping you have good news to share? Spouse is optimistic bur after reading things posted on this topic, I am thinking I should jist order that element and keep on stand by.
Mine was fine because the black switch outside was off. I just dewinterized a few days ago, filled the water heater and turned checked everything out. I turned on the propane, and then the water heater switch on the inside panel, and I heard the heater start and the heat coming from the exhaust. I'll be honest, I haven't used the electric side of the water heater, but understanding how it works I'm sure everything is ok.
USAF Vet
bigoil7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 07:48 PM   #35

Thanks Bigoil!

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, light, water, water heater