Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2015, 10:15 PM   #1

Water heater propane vs electric

Hi,

Have a 2015 350xl and we have always used the propane with the water heater. If we want to use the electric option, what do we need to do? I opened the water heater cover the other day and saw a black switch with white tape over it. Is this where I turn on the heater in electric mode? Any further instructions/suggestions

Thanks

2016 Georgetown 350XL

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
sirozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:20 PM   #2

First...make sure the water heater is full....then turn on the switch...thats it. Gas will recover quicker than electric...but you have already paid for the electric with your campsite fee...so you might as well use it. We usually use propane when we first set up, to get the water hot fast. Then switch to electric. Remember not to turn on the electric unless the water heater is full. Otherwise, you'll burn out the element.
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:20 PM   #3

Switch is on the bottom left as you look at it. Mine indicates on/off. If it is taped over, previous owners may have burned it out by not having water in it.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #4

Got it! We purchased it new and have always used the propane. I'm just worried with the location of the switch I may forget to turn it off. By the way I also found a YouTube video dedicated to this specifically 2 minutes after the posting. Felt dumb for asking after seeing the video right after, but thanks again.

2016 Georgetown 350XL

sirozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #5

So after I turn on the HTR button inside my 2013 Greywolf, I go outside and turn on the one inside the access panel and it will automatically use electric instead of propane?
gartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #6

I have a pheonix 33ck 5er. I use the electric almost exclusively, like was said before, you' ve already paid for the electricity. I use propane only in the fridge when not plugged in and my 30# has lasted all summer.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

If there us water in your he tank... You can just turn the electric on. You do not need to also run the propane from the inside switch if you do not want. We run both though.

I keep the switch on and flip the breaker in the panel... To lazy to keep going outside.

Edit : electric only works on shore power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #8

We do the same as doc73; leave the outside switch on and turn electric on/off at the breaker panel. Inside wall switch is for the propane only, and if on concurrent with electrical on, then both at work. We sometimes use both if taking long back to back showers, but then turn off the propane. Otherwise, seldom use propane except when boondocking. If we turn on the electric when starting a meal, usually hot enough to wash dishes when meal is finished.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:15 PM   #9

I use the breaker also. I'm thinking about installing a switch on the kitchen cabinet where the WH is located.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:18 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gartan View Post
So after I turn on the HTR button inside my 2013 Greywolf, I go outside and turn on the one inside the access panel and it will automatically use electric instead of propane?
No, there is nothing automatic. If you only have the one switch inside, then it's for the propane, and the switch outside is only for the electric. They are independent from one another on the Suburban brand water heaters. One doesn't have to be turned on/off to affect the other.

This FAQ link may help, and explains it in better detail. The operation of the Suburban water heater with the two switches is often a source of confusion, hence the FAQ we made in the link below.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:57 PM   #11

If both the electric and propane switches are on, one or both may come on, depending on how much hot water you use. If you want to avoid using propane, you need to turn off the switch on the convenience panel.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #12

I only use the power option when we are plugged into 50 amps or dont need A/C
RVnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #13
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We leave ours on electric (switch under the water heater cover outside). When I use the shower or a lot of hot water for dishes or whatever, I'll turn on the propane (inside switch). It recovers quicker and allows you to use the shower longer than the 2 minute navy shower.
Turn it off when you're done (switch on the control panel inside) and the electric will maintain it. You don't have to turn the outside switch off.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:42 PM   #14

This was very helpful. I wish I'd found it at the beginning of the year. Better late than never at all. Thanks especially WMTire for a great tutorial.

I love this forum. Everyday is an opportunity to learn more!

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #15
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Just remember... on certain units (mine included) there are TWO INSIDE switches at the control panel. One for propane operation and another for electric... THEN... you ALSO HAVE A THIRD electric operation switch on the water heater itself.

The idea with this set up is to turn on the third switch at the WH and just leave it on.
You can then control how you want the WH to heat with either of the inside switches. (or both)

If you have concerns that kids might inadvertently start flipping switches and turn on the the inside electric switch before you would fill the WH, then you'll need to leave the outside switch off until you are sure the WH is full so it doesn't burn out the element.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #16

At one of the RV shows in my area the FR rep recommended to use both electric and propane and now you can take a longer shower .
Old 10-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirozz View Post
Hi,

Have a 2015 350xl and we have always used the propane with the water heater. If we want to use the electric option, what do we need to do? I opened the water heater cover the other day and saw a black switch with white tape over it. Is this where I turn on the heater in electric mode? Any further instructions/suggestions

Thanks

2016 Georgetown 350XL

we always use the electric when plugged in, then after using hot water (if washing dishes or showering for more than one person) and need the water hot again we turn it to gas (can leave the electric switch on) until after we are finished with the showers and dishwashing). it heats the water quicker then when we are all finished with the showers for the day turn the gas to the water heater off.
ValMelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:06 AM   #18

Does anyone have a picture of the switch on the water heater? I must be having a brain freeze as I am unable to locate anything that resembles a switch. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:28 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browns-Camden View Post
Does anyone have a picture of the switch on the water heater? I must be having a brain freeze as I am unable to locate anything that resembles a switch. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
There are some in this FAQ link:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html

Now remember, this applies only to the Suburban brand water heater (not Atwood).... and then it has to be the Suburban water heaters with the dual heating sources (electric and propane). If it's a Suburban that is propane only, then there will be no switch for a non-existent electric heating element.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Here.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, heater, propane, water, water heater