Old 01-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
Water heater Reset light

We have a Georgetown 335. On occasion, nothing predictable, the water heater reset light on the inside panel will light, and stay on. If it stays on long enough, we lose hot water when this happens. Sometimes the light will stay on all night, other times it goes out after 10 - 15 minutes (like a heating cycle - but the heater isn't on). Turning it off and back on seems to have no effect.

Hitting the reset switch(s) on the heater may or may not have an impact.

I am aware that it lights when the heater kicks on.

Called service out, but of course it worked perfectly when they were here.

It is an intermittent problem, so I can't get a handle on what is happening. I am assuming that we will need to wait for something to fail completely before we know for sure what is happening.

Any ideas what is happening?

Jim Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:23 PM   #2
Site Team
Jim, if you have the Suburban water heater, here is how it is supposed to work. This doesn't apply to a tankless heater, so if that's what you have you can ignore the rest.

When you turn on the inside switch to turn on the Direct Spark Ignitor (DSI), the Reset light (sometimes also labeled as a fault or flt light) initially comes on until the DSI completes the lighting of the propane.

Once the propane ignites, then the light goes off.

However, if the propane fails to ignite, the light stays on to alert you to a problem. Depending on which model suburban water heater you have, then the DSI can go thru two more automatic ignition cycles trying to light the propane. If the propane lights during the second or third attempt, then the light goes off.

However, if the propane fails to light after the third series/attempt, then the whole process goes into lockout mode. The propane valve closes and the DSI will not attempt again to light the propane.

You have to reset the lockout, but turning off the DSI switch inside your coach for a few seconds, then turn it back on. The process begins anew. Three tries to ignite.

If it's not lighting, then you have a problem somewhere. You could have spiders webs in your flue, a faulty gas valve, faulty regulator on your cylinders, etc. You can also have the gap misaligned on your ignitor.

Hold on and I will get you some links.

This FAQ may help also:

Suburban's electric switch and much more
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I've just ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon.... I will keep you posted.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

heater, light, water, water heater