Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #1

Water in Fridge

In our 2008 378TS we have Dometic RM 1350 fridge and we seem to be constantly mopping up water from behind the crisper trays in the fridge. It doesn't seem to matter if it's hot or cold outside, the water seems to be there daily. I have noticed that we aren't getting much of a temperature fluctuation on the display, so am somewhat baffled as to the cause. I have blown out the drain both ways, and have adjusted the inner tray so that runoff goes out the drain hole. Any suggestions?
CVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Lottery Non-Winner

You said you cleaned out the drain, so it should be draining. But the fact that it is collecting enough to keep you "constantly mopping" has me thinking perhaps the seal doesn't seal and the cool walls are condensing the moisture in the air. Check your seal. But I have no idea why the drain line isn't draining seeing how you have already cleared it.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #3

Still stumped

Seals seem to be good. No excess humidity noted in fridge. Defrosted fridge just to be on the safe side and noted no real change, still getting water on bottom of fridge. Also the collection tray is icing up. Installed a fridge fan to circulate cold evenly....no real change.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #4

Try closing the door on a dollar bill in several different areas. There should be a lot of resistance when you try to pull it out. If there is little resistance the door seal is suspect or the door is out of adjustment. Also check to make sure the top of the seal has a good contact surface. If the door has sagged it may only be catching a small part of the frame. Also check the top portion of the fresh food section, if the insulation under the freezer floor has become saturated it will make the top of the refrigerator very cold and a lot of water can condense and drip.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by backin15 View Post
Try closing the door on a dollar bill in several different areas. There should be a lot of resistance when you try to pull it out. If there is little resistance the door seal is suspect or the door is out of adjustment. Also check to make sure the top of the seal has a good contact surface. If the door has sagged it may only be catching a small part of the frame. Also check the top portion of the fresh food section, if the insulation under the freezer floor has become saturated it will make the top of the refrigerator very cold and a lot of water can condense and drip.

it would have to be an American dollar. We only have the loonie in Canada.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:17 PM   #6

BETTER USE AT LEAST A $100 BILL ON THE DOOR SEAL TEST. THE $1 BILL HAS GOTTEN SO SMALL YOU WILL HAVE TO USE TWEEZERS TO HOLD IT! IF THIS WERE NOT TRUE IT MIGHT BE FUNNY!
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 AM   #7

water in bottom of refridgerator

On the double doors the seal flap is sticking open. After closing the first door reach in a pull the flap out, then close the second door.
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #8

I don't know whether to thank you or curse you Havasu, but...yes, the flap is not closing completely. It seems to be catching on the bottom moulding. I'm not sure of the cause: door sagging, flap attached too low, bottom moulding in need of a little trimming, or what. It will take a while to sort and resolve. I will keep all posted.
Chuck
Old 09-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #9

water in fridge

I had the same problem with water collection in bottom of refrigerator. On humid days it got so bad water ran down and shorted the gas detector located below the unit. I finally noticed the flap sticking and now, by habit, check to see that it is in place before shutting the right door. Never a water problem since!
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVan
I don't know whether to thank you or curse you Havasu, but...yes, the flap is not closing completely. It seems to be catching on the bottom moulding. I'm not sure of the cause: door sagging, flap attached too low, bottom moulding in need of a little trimming, or what. It will take a while to sort and resolve. I will keep all posted.
Chuck
I have the same problem, did you find a solution?
tetsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsurvivor View Post
I have the same problem, did you find a solution?
hate to say this and not sound rude but if you read any of the posts above you would have gotten the solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
On the double doors the seal flap is sticking open. After closing the first door reach in a pull the flap out, then close the second door.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherdep View Post
hate to say this and not sound rude but if you read any of the posts above you would have gotten the solution

I think he ask for a (Solution) not a (Band Aid)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #13

I took the black fitting on the bottom ledge of the fridge off and found it full of water. I adjusted it and put sealant around it to keep it from filling up with water. I continue to ensure that the left door flap has closed properly since it fails to close occasionally when the door is full of heavy items. The only other minor thing i did was put a small piece of tubing on the tray spout so that it fit in the drain hole better.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:56 AM   #14

CVan, I think you may have solved the problem with the flap. I never thought that too many heavy items in the door would cause the bottom of the door to drag enough to keep the flap from closing properly. I will ask the DW to put only light stuff in that door and see how that works. Thank again for a SOLUTION!
tetsurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote