Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #1
Canadian Georgetown 369XL

Water in the system at freezing point

We are looking to go camping here in Canada with our 350DS and the weather has been below normal

Question for you all is that we are at a little below freezing point, is it safe to fill the tank and water lines with water.

My thoughts are I should be safe if I leave my heater on.

Just do not want to freeze or crack any lines

Anyone have any experience with this on the Georgetowns
Schwing2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwing2008 View Post
We are looking to go camping here in Canada with our 350DS and the weather has been below normal

Question for you all is that we are at a little below freezing point, is it safe to fill the tank and water lines with water.

My thoughts are I should be safe if I leave my heater on.

Just do not want to freeze or crack any lines

Anyone have any experience with this on the Georgetowns
Do you have an Arctic Pak? Are you going to be at a site with power? If so that you can leave your heater on you should be fine. If you have power you may want to place a string of rope lights put in the area where the pump is just so there's no risk of freezing there. I'm sure others will have additional advice.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My rule of thumb, unless it will be below freezing for 24 hours, then don't worry. It takes a while for the camper to cool, if it is in the sun, and even longer for the water to freeze. Think about putting water in ice trays and then in the freezer at 20 degrees or colder, , (yes, some people don't have ice makers), it doesn't freeze for several hours. Will take longer in a camper that is warmer to start. Just my opinion, and what works for me North Carolina.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
My rule of thumb, unless it will be below freezing for 24 hours, then don't worry. It takes a while for the camper to cool, if it is in the sun, and even longer for the water to freeze. Think about putting water in ice trays and then in the freezer at 20 degrees or colder, , (yes, some people don't have ice makers), it doesn't freeze for several hours. Will take longer in a camper that is warmer to start. Just my opinion, and what works for me North Carolina.
X2 here for us. Well put Windrider.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #5

Even in Florida last winter, it froze several times and only the hose connecting to the motor home froze. The heat in the RV took care of the water lines and tanks. I did put a light with a 60 amp bulb in the compartment with the release valves so they wouldn't freeze. Because we were going to have a hard freeze during a few of the nites, I left my gray water tank open and left the water drip (little stream) all nite. That kept my hoses from freezing. we have done that in several RVs that we have owned and it works.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
ME

Nice to hear that nobody has been in Illinois in January and had to put up with 12degree weather! We camped with water and sewer and nothing froze! NO ARTIC PACK either! I mentioned this to the service guy at the RV dealer and he felt that was a little "testing the limits" but stated if you have the heat on then NOTHING should freeze even if you don't have the artic pack!

PS

He did say to make sure it was winterized properly after our trip!