Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #1

Water pooling on slide awning?

We finally got our 280DS out for her maiden voyage and all went well but we did have a fairly heavy rain one morning. When we were leaving the next day, I brought the main slide in and water off the awning just rolled off in sheets. Thank heavens I'd shut the windows first! The small slide with the bed, had no water on it's awning.

Is that normal or should the awning have more tension on it?

If that's normal, I guess it'd be a good practice to retract the slides after a rain and dump the water.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We finally got our 280DS out for her maiden voyage and all went well but we did have a fairly heavy rain one morning. When we were leaving the next day, I brought the main slide in and water off the awning just rolled off in sheets. Thank heavens I'd shut the windows first! The small slide with the bed, had no water on it's awning.

Is that normal or should the awning have more tension on it?

If that's normal, I guess it'd be a good practice to retract the slides after a rain and dump the water.
It sounds like the tension needs adjusting on that slide topper. The procedure is straight forward and in the manual for the toppers. If you don't feel comfortable doing it on a ladder, have your dealer do it when it is in for inspection or warranty work.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
WDK

Karen, may I ask, why did you choose the 280DS, did you check any other models that size?
WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:32 PM   #4

We always adjusted one side down that way if it rained the water won't pool. Another good tip is to never leave your awning extended overnight. Two things can happen. One, a gust of wind could rip it right off. Two, you can forget about it and take off with it extended like I did. So, from now on ours is retracted when we are not outside.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
We always adjusted one side down that way if it rained the water won't pool. Another good tip is to never leave your awning extended overnight. Two things can happen. One, a gust of wind could rip it right off. Two, you can forget about it and take off with it extended like I did. So, from now on ours is retracted when we are not outside.
You need awning hold down poles. We deploy ours if staying over for more than one night and never take it in until we are getting ready to leave. High winds and rain are not a problem. SYE can vouch for this.
Old 03-29-2014, 04:49 PM   #6

Not sure how the weather is in your area, but here in OH it can get pretty crazy. Last year when we had a permanent site, we saw two coaches with the awnings turned into pretzels. One had the poles you speak of. The other one had a sunshade anchored to the ground. Oh, and one trailer had one of those permanent aluminum awnings that was flipped right on top of the trailer.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You need awning hold down poles. We deploy ours if staying over for more than one night and never take it in until we are getting ready to leave. High winds and rain are not a problem. SYE can vouch for this.
I think the OP is talking about a topper not his main awning............I do not think your poles will help that at all. He said when he brought his slide in. It's okay we know you have CRS...... Hitting the stuff kinda of early, what are you putting in your coffee?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
Not sure how the weather is in your area, but here in OH it can get pretty crazy. Last year when we had a permanent site, we saw two coaches with the awnings turned into pretzels. One had the poles you speak of. The other one had a sunshade anchored to the ground. Oh, and one trailer had one of those permanent aluminum awnings that was flipped right on top of the trailer.
There are always times when 'common sense' needs to come into play.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I think the OP is talking about a topper not his main awning............I do not think your poles will help that at all. He said when he brought his slide in. It's okay we know you have CRS...... Hitting the stuff kinda of early, what are you putting in your coffee?
Was answering alparmmer, not the OP. Need new glasses or are you DRUNK again/still?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:05 PM   #10

To the OP, now that I realize you are speaking of the slide's awning, ours do the same thing on both sides.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Karen,
Here is a video on adjusting the tension to a slideout topper. Be careful as these awnings have a fairly heavy spring. How do I Adjust the Tension on an RV Slideout Topper Awning?

Id you prefer, there is an aftermarket device that fits between the slideout and the topper. I've not used it so can't recommend one way or the other but it seems to get some decent reviews on sites from other users ... RV Awning Airwedge.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:15 PM   #12

The original post concerned the slide topper. I wasn't up on my terminology then! LOL!

We did have the tension adjusted when we went back to the dealer for the one year-get-it-fixed-before-warranty-ran-out visit. There weren't but a few minor things but that was on the list.

WDK>

We started looking at Class Cs when we wanted something bigger than our B+ and found a few floor plans we liked. When we went to look at some at a dealer, the salesman suggested that we look at a Class A. Well ...that did it for the Class C!

We started looking online at different floor plans in shorter lengths and found the 280DS. It looked great on paper and we were really happy it looked as nice when we found one to look at. We just really liked the floor plan with the floor space in the front. We liked the wardrobe in the bedroom too and all the cabinets & storage space in the kitchen.

It's still for sale but we're okay if it doesn't. The only problem will be hauling the HUGE amount of stuff back into it when we start camping! I could not believe the stuff we had in there.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:31 PM   #13

I have a Windjammer that does the same thing on the larger living room slide. My solution is to put a kids swim ring between the slide roof and the topper. I blow it up only enough to make contact with the slide awning and not distort the topper too high. I push it through to the middle of the slide. It keeps the water from pooling in the middle.
Windjammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:36 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post
Karen,
Here is a video on adjusting the tension to a slideout topper. Be careful as these awnings have a fairly heavy spring...
Not too much tension if you close the slide, it is fairly easy then. Did it a couple of times until I got enough tension on it. Ended up with an additional 6 turns, did 3 at a time.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #15

If we have had rain we will raise the front of the coach as high as it can go and wait until the water stops coming off of the toppers. Then level and then pull the slides in.

2012 Georgetown 378XL
Toad 07 Lexus RX350
intercept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Was answering alparmmer, not the OP. Need new glasses or are you DRUNK again/still?
In other words you decided to HIGH JACK THE THREAD Where is our new Moderator Tubo on this one. You see he's not afraid of OLD Men with CRS.... I know people who fill there coffee cups with other stuff so people don't know what they are drinking.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning