Old 04-20-2011, 09:40 AM   #1

Water pooling on slide awning?

We finally got our 280DS out for her maiden voyage and all went well but we did have a fairly heavy rain one morning. When we were leaving the next day, I brought the main slide in and water off the awning just rolled off in sheets. Thank heavens I'd shut the windows first! The small slide with the bed, had no water on it's awning.

Is that normal or should the awning have more tension on it?

If that's normal, I guess it'd be a good practice to retract the slides after a rain and dump the water.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenS144 View Post
We finally got our 280DS out for her maiden voyage and all went well but we did have a fairly heavy rain one morning. When we were leaving the next day, I brought the main slide in and water off the awning just rolled off in sheets. Thank heavens I'd shut the windows first! The small slide with the bed, had no water on it's awning.

Is that normal or should the awning have more tension on it?

If that's normal, I guess it'd be a good practice to retract the slides after a rain and dump the water.
It sounds like the tension needs adjusting on that slide topper. The procedure is straight forward and in the manual for the toppers. If you don't feel comfortable doing it on a ladder, have your dealer do it when it is in for inspection or warranty work.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #3
WDK

Karen, may I ask, why did you choose the 280DS, did you check any other models that size?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:32 PM   #4

We always adjusted one side down that way if it rained the water won't pool. Another good tip is to never leave your awning extended overnight. Two things can happen. One, a gust of wind could rip it right off. Two, you can forget about it and take off with it extended like I did. So, from now on ours is retracted when we are not outside.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
We always adjusted one side down that way if it rained the water won't pool. Another good tip is to never leave your awning extended overnight. Two things can happen. One, a gust of wind could rip it right off. Two, you can forget about it and take off with it extended like I did. So, from now on ours is retracted when we are not outside.
You need awning hold down poles. We deploy ours if staying over for more than one night and never take it in until we are getting ready to leave. High winds and rain are not a problem. SYE can vouch for this.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:49 PM   #6

Not sure how the weather is in your area, but here in OH it can get pretty crazy. Last year when we had a permanent site, we saw two coaches with the awnings turned into pretzels. One had the poles you speak of. The other one had a sunshade anchored to the ground. Oh, and one trailer had one of those permanent aluminum awnings that was flipped right on top of the trailer.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You need awning hold down poles. We deploy ours if staying over for more than one night and never take it in until we are getting ready to leave. High winds and rain are not a problem. SYE can vouch for this.
I think the OP is talking about a topper not his main awning............I do not think your poles will help that at all. He said when he brought his slide in. It's okay we know you have CRS...... Hitting the stuff kinda of early, what are you putting in your coffee?
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 06:01 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparmmer View Post
Not sure how the weather is in your area, but here in OH it can get pretty crazy. Last year when we had a permanent site, we saw two coaches with the awnings turned into pretzels. One had the poles you speak of. The other one had a sunshade anchored to the ground. Oh, and one trailer had one of those permanent aluminum awnings that was flipped right on top of the trailer.
There are always times when 'common sense' needs to come into play.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I think the OP is talking about a topper not his main awning............I do not think your poles will help that at all. He said when he brought his slide in. It's okay we know you have CRS...... Hitting the stuff kinda of early, what are you putting in your coffee?
Was answering alparmmer, not the OP. Need new glasses or are you DRUNK again/still?
Old 03-29-2014, 06:05 PM   #10

To the OP, now that I realize you are speaking of the slide's awning, ours do the same thing on both sides.

Tags
awning