Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #1

Water pressure

I have a low water pressure problem in my RV. It seemed ok when we first got to this RV park 2 years ago but recently has got bad.

I replaced the shower head but that didn't fix it. I have a water pressure regulator on the outside of the RV where the water comes in. I'm thinking about taking that off and see if that fixes the problem. I'll also check to see if it's clogged.

I'm kind of wondering if I'm settled into one RV park and not experiencing high water pressure if I really need this regulator on. I can see having it on if you are travelling around not knowing what to expect in terms of water pressure.

What do you think?
georgetown50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:45 PM   #2

The water pressure is fairly poor on both the shower and the kitchen. It's probably worse in the shower but is bad both places.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Have you replaced your inline water filter ???

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #4

I put a house regulator on mine an know it it works fine
jutojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Anacortesians

Maybe you should get an adjustable pressure regulator. A while back, we lost our water supply at the stick house. The plumber that came out said "It's a pressure regulator problem". I told him that the builder had said we didn't need a regulator because the city supply was only around 45 psi.

He went to a fire hydrant at the corner (3 lots away) and measured 96 psi! After 20 minutes digging, he unearthed the remains of a regulator designed for crawl-space installation that had been buried in the dirt. It was jsut a pile of rust. Fortunately, it had failed closed, rather than causing a big geyser in the front yard.

He installed an all brass and stainless steel adjustable regulator (Watts, I think). We can now adjust things to get the pressure and flow rates we want. We've set it at about 55 psi, as the showers in both bathrooms are fixed flow rate.

A regulator like that, but not in the fancy materials for buried in the ground installation, would at least let you adjust the inlet pressure to get the flow you want at the various outlets. With an inlet pressure gauge, you could tell whether the CG water pressure is good.

By the time we were through, I was out about $450 for the plumber and the regulator and then another $400 for a replacement impeller for the hot water recirculation pump. Isn't home ownership a blast? I'd much rather have been able to call the landlord and say "Come and fix it."

The possibility of plumbing blockages in your rig is still high, as you say the pressure has deteriorated over time. Maybe an investigation to see what pressure/flow relationships exist at major outlets like the shower would help to track down a blocked or collapsed pipe.

At least plumbing is a bit easier to investigate than electricity and you'll only get wet, rather than electrocuted.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:42 AM   #6

I had the same problem with low water pressure after only a few months. I changed out the regulator and it took care of the problem for a short period of time. After going though three "cheap" non-adjustable water pressure requlators I finally bought a good adjustable one with a gage. Haven't had a problem since. Although not cheap, the adjustable regulator was less expensive than the three I put in the trash.
peskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by peskin View Post
I had the same problem with low water pressure after only a few months. I changed out the regulator and it took care of the problem for a short period of time. After going though three "cheap" non-adjustable water pressure requlators I finally bought a good adjustable one with a gage. Haven't had a problem since. Although not cheap, the adjustable regulator was less expensive than the three I put in the trash.

Could you post the info on the regulator you purchased- where it was bought, model no., cost.
Thanks.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #8

Water regulaters don't seem to last that long. We have had to replace them ever 1 1/2 years or so. Also, check your inline screens that are in the hose lines including the one at the MH water hookup. Our seems to get clogged every couple of months or so. I usually can tell when our water pressure is not so great is when we flush the toilet. When we have a water pressure problem, I start at the campground connection, and move toward the MH checking all the parts.
betndavrv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #9

I have a gage I screw on the campground hook up and if its below 50PSI I do not use a regulator. Never had a problem doing this in 25 years of camping.
bill and theresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #10

Got this at camping world for about $ 60.oo. Works great
Old 12-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #11

Where do you get one of these gauges?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #12

Thanks to all for posting replies. I talked to my neighbor at the RV park and he said he wasn't using a regulator and didn't have a problem. He has being camping for 6 years and said he only puts one on if they warn him the pressure is too high. It works for him although a bit unscientific. I like the idea of checking it myself with a gauge first. So far I've taken off the regulator completely and the pressure is significantly better. Thank God. So I guess that's telling me I don't really need to replace the water filter. I do think I will get an adjustable water regulator next time I get out to Camping World.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #13

Just ordered one on ebay for $49.99 + $7.50 shipping. This was just about the best price I could find. Here's the link to the item (hope it works).

RV MotorHome RV Adjustable Pressure Water Regulator - eBay (item 370466244383 end time Dec-23-10 00:08:49 PST)

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Just ordered one on ebay for $49.99 + $7.50 shipping. This was just about the best price I could find. Here's the link to the item (hope it works).

RV MotorHome RV Adjustable Pressure Water Regulator - eBay (item 370466244383 end time Dec-23-10 00:08:49 PST)
I've been to several Camping Worlds and none of them carried the adjustable regulators. That is a good price above. I paid $10.00 more than that last year.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #15

Got mine at Camping World in Kississmee Fl.

Tags
georgetown