Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #1

Water Pressure Test during PDI

Hello everyone,

I will pick up my new RV on Friday, I will go through the PDI as advised from many of you RVers.

I have one question:

How do you perform the water pressure test to check on leak and such. What do I have to prepare tools wise and how to do it?

Many thanks in advance.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #2

I had the dealer connect the hose to it and I ran everything. I also had them water down the camper so I could look for leaks with the slides out and then the slides in.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingDownTheHighway View Post
I had the dealer connect the hose to it and I ran everything. I also had them water down the camper so I could look for leaks with the slides out and then the slides in.
Thank for your response, but I still not sure...
Connect the city water hose to the RV is one thing, but how do you pressurizing the system?

Do you just simply close all of the faucets and put a pressure gauge between the city water line and monitor the pressure changes? this would not show any different if there is a small leak, right?
Old 07-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
Thank for your response, but I still not sure///
Connect the city water hose to the RV is one thing, but how do you pressurizing the system?

Do you just simply close all of the faucets and put a pressure gauge between the city water line and monitor the pressure changes? this would not show any different if there is a small leak, right?
I just checked for leaks, not the pressure. Though, the pressure coming out may vary depending where you're camping. I've been at some CG, where they had weak pressure then at some where it could've blown my pipes if I didn't have a pressure regulator hooked up

RV Water Pressure Regulator | eBay
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:03 AM   #5

Put water in the tank and turn on the pump. The the pump build pressure and shut off. The pump should not come on unless a faucet is open. If the pump does come on start looking for leaks.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
Put water in the tank and turn on the pump. The the pump build pressure and shut off. The pump should not come on unless a faucet is open. If the pump does come on start looking for leaks.
Now that is what I am looking for... that is just a simple test but makes sense and effective.

Many thanks for your help. Have a wonderful day.

Tam Le
Old 07-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingDownTheHighway View Post
I just checked for leaks, not the pressure. Though, the pressure coming out may vary depending where you're camping. I've been at some CG, where they had weak pressure then at somewhere it could've blown my pipes if I didn't have a pressure regulator hooked up

RV Water Pressure Regulator | eBay
Thank for your help. I will perform the visual leak check as well. However, due to the complex plumbing of the RV, some part of the connector may not be so visible for the leak check, it would be best to pressurize the system and check for the pressure changes. If the pressure holds for a certain amount of time, then the system perform good, if not, then there is a leak somewhere. This would be a better and more effective way to check for the leak.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #8

I wish I had done that for our Rockwood 2304KS. Found out on our maiden voyage the bathroom hot water faucet fitting wasn't tightened. The leak was venting under the fridge, and there (was) a plywood spacer hiding the mechanics in the vanity cabinet.
It was an easy fix, at least after I traced it down and removed that stupid blocker.
But it would have been a LOT easier On me and my panicked wife) for them to find and correct it before we took possession. You can show this to you walk through agent to stress the importance of a water test.
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:48 PM   #9

tamdle, once they put water in the holding tank and you turn on the pump, go around and run water out of each faucet (don't forget the outside shower too). Run both hot and cold to completely fill the lines and water heater tank with water. Then do the rest of the PDI with the pump still on and the lines pressurized. If you hear it cycle, then there is a leak somewhere. Otherwise
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddupton View Post
X2 - also this will allow you to test all the plumbing (don't forget the toilet )

Make sure you test using the city water as well and not just your FWT.

Also don't skimp on your water pressure regulator - I have used this one for many years and love it - the fact that it is adjustable is really important IMO:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is another PDI trick: run several gallons of water into your gray & black tanks. Since it is a new RV, and this is "just water," the dealership should not have a problem with you "dumping" your black and gray tanks. Sewer test completed

Final suggestion: unless this dealer is local, I recommend you spend the first couple nights after you buy it at a campground really close to the dealership. You can PDI all you want, but actual living in the camper it the real litmus test!

Our dealership agrees with this and has even installed a 6 pad RV "camp" on their property just for this purpose.

Good luck and happy camping! (Photos and let us know how it goes are appreciated!)
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B Travelers View Post
tamdle, once they put water in the holding tank and you turn on the pump, go around and run water out of each faucet (don't forget the outside shower too). Run both hot and cold to completely fill the lines and water heater tank with water. Then do the rest of the PDI with the pump still on and the lines pressurized. If you hear it cycle, then there is a leak somewhere. Otherwise
Thanks DB, you guy are great!

Have a great day...
Old 07-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #12

X2 on the regulator. I always use one and it is adjustable. When flushing the black water tank, I open the drain and turn on the water - hot and cold from the outside shower which I connect to the flush inlet. I then adjust the pressure to unrestricted by using a screwdriver to maximize the pressure. When finished, I adjust it back down to 30 psi. or a little less.
johnruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnruff View Post
X2 on the regulator. I always use one and it is adjustable. When flushing the black water tank, I open the drain and turn on the water - hot and cold from the outside shower which I connect to the flush inlet. I then adjust the pressure to unrestricted by using a screwdriver to maximize the pressure. When finished, I adjust it back down to 30 psi. or a little less.
Thanks John for your advice, a water pressure regulator with a gauge is already in my tool kit.

Tags
pdi, pressure, water