Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 07:14 AM   #1

Water pressure very low to both toilets - Any ideas?

Hi All,
We have a bath and 1/2 model and are suddenly not getting much more than a trickle of water into either of the toilets when we flush. Sinks, shower, washer, etc are just fine but both toilets? I don't even know where to begin to look. I don't see any leaks in or under the RV.
Any information would be appreciated.
JuleyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:46 AM   #2

I suspect the toilets use more water to operate than a restricted shower or faucet, I'd start by changing the water filter. You may have just enough sediment to slow the flow.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:07 AM   #3

At the end of the year, we noticed that our camper suffered from low water flow and know that our exterior single use water filter had done its job. We just lived with it and know that high pressure will return next year when I use a new filter.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:07 AM   #4

Sounds as though you may have the dreaded blockage of the input port at the toilet. Deposits will accumulate in the toilet valve input screen. Disconnect the input hose and clean out screen inside the connection cavity with a tooth pick (sometimes the deposit will expel when the hose is disconnected). Water will have to be turned off and pressure in the lines relieved. Be prepared to soak up residual water on floor. Could be your issue. Might also check your faucet aerators.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:02 AM   #5
RJJ

Could be either answer, whole house filter or input port to the toilets. If you haven't changed your filter in a while, I'd start there, it's the easiest of the two. :-)

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
RJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:41 AM   #6

Time to check the toilet water strainers.
Shut off the water and disconnect the water line from the toilet valve.
It has a small strainer inside that catches a lot of stuff from the building of the rig.

I just searched the internet and no where can I find any info on this strainer.
I guess they want you to buy a whole new valve. LOL

All you need is a small pick to pull this small metal strainer out to clean.
You could then clean and reinstall or just leave it out because any large junk will be flushed out into the toilet.
This may just be a quick fix for anyone needing immediate help.

Here is a picture of my water valve and if you look in the side with the arrow you will see the small strain inside to remove.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	122202  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:55 AM   #7

It looks like this but they has no rubber ring just metal screen and a bit smaller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403-0704-2.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	122203  
Old 10-05-2016, 10:24 PM   #8

Not close to my coach to check, but my other unit has a little bulb filter just before the pump with a clear cap that screws off to show a metal screen filter. I've had this one get goop in it that restricted flow.
Trapper Creek Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper Creek Jack View Post
Not close to my coach to check, but my other unit has a little bulb filter just before the pump with a clear cap that screws off to show a metal screen filter. I've had this one get goop in it that restricted flow.
Yes that is the filter if you use water from your tank.
JuleyT is having issues with just the 2 toilets all the time.
Everything else runs fine.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:20 AM   #10

Thanks Everyone!

Thank you all for your input. I'll start by changing the filter because we were just in a place with a high mineral content and it's been in for quite a while. If that doesn't do the trick I'll check the filters in the toilets. I'll report back!
Thanks again!
Old 10-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #11

Solved!

So I went out to change the water filter and discovered my replacement was not the correct filter. Since the old one was really dirty I put the housing back together without the filter. I have an inline filter hooked up temporarily.

This did not fix the pressure problem so I shut the water off again and checked the mesh filters in the toilets valves. They were completely full. We just spent a month at a relative's house where they use salt to remove the minerals in their well water. The derbies I removed from the valves was white and felt gritty like salt or sand. They are clean and functioning properly now.

Thanks again! I don't know what I'd do if you weren't here to answer my crazy questions.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:38 PM   #12

Great news.
While you are at it I would also remove and clean all the sink aerators. They are probably clogged also
Old 10-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Great news.
While you are at it I would also remove and clean all the sink aerators. They are probably clogged also
Thanks Iggy! I'll do that.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #14

Replace your hot water anode. That is the source of the grit. When you remove it you will see what i mean.
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #15
2011 Georgetown 374TS

Is there also a filter or screen inline for the shower? Not looking for one in the nozzle but further inline. We've cleaned all the others but not sure how to go about shower.
rtime2roam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtime2roam View Post
Is there also a filter or screen inline for the shower? Not looking for one in the nozzle but further inline. We've cleaned all the others but not sure how to go about shower.
I think the shower has a filter where the hose leaves the valves in the shower or just where the hose attaches to the shower head. Just can't remember where I saw it. Anyway it's easy to check.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #17

I experienced the same problem of reduced water pressure in the toilet. Looking behind the flush valve I found that FR connected it to the HOT water line and not the cold! Therefore, all the junk from the water heater gets trapped by the little screen within the flush valve. Can't remove the screen and almost impossible to get inside to clean it without removing the whole valve or toilet. I used a q tip to pull the gunk out. Why did FR not use the cold water line? Solution? I went to the hardware store and bought plastic connectors and a screen to place between the flush valve and the water line . Now I can remove and clean the new screen periodically.
GHrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuleyT View Post
Thank you all for your input. I'll start by changing the filter because we were just in a place with a high mineral content and it's been in for quite a while. If that doesn't do the trick I'll check the filters in the toilets. I'll report back!
Thanks again!
If your shower and faucets flow properly, changing the water filter will not fix the problem with the toilets.

My toilet valve (the one Iggy posted a picture of) gets gunked up. It's fairly easy to remove and clean.
nicholsonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #19

Easy to remove and clean - unless you have a Georgetown 270! Then you have to remove the entire toilet to get to the back of the valve. But it did fix the problem. I'm thinking the shower screen is next.
Sandy B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, water