Old 03-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #1

Water pump

I have the attic package on my 2007 Georgetown and the water pump sits on the heating pad. When I went camping couple weeks ago it got down to 8 degrees and pump froze up. What can you do to keep the pump from freezing when camping in freezing conditions? Should the heating pad keep it from freezing?

Old 03-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #2

Those are brutal temperatures for most campers, especially if they go on for many hours. Heat pads can't protect everything, so unless the furnace is heating the underbelly, there's plumbing that isn't being warmed. Could it be that plumbing leading to/from your pump froze? I'm in northern Minnesota and have camped into the teens, but don't trust Rockwoods to remain thawed, so carry antifreeze for prompt winterizing if I chicken out. It's unfortunate that most manufacturers don't insulate pipes.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
itch'n to road trip

We too have an Arctic package... heated tanks too. The water line from the fresh water tank runs OUTSIDE and then back inside to the pump. Lines froze. Had to get out the hair dryer.
We are looking into getting 12v heat tape for that line which is NOT insulated.. we did add pipe wrap but didn't help. We live in north Georgia and LOVE winter camping. We stay nice and warm...just no running water. :/
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:39 PM   #4

I assume you never have a problem with the water pump freezing just that line?
Old 03-13-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
itch'n to road trip

nope pump ok... just the OUTSIDE line... got the Arctic package with duel pane windows, extra spray on insulation, tank heaters. The design is so stupid. Two feet of the water line is OUTSIDE the unit, while all the other lines runs inside the wheel well. So it freezes. Trying to figure what the easiest fix will be.

Run a new line INSIDE from the pump to the tank or get 12v line heater.

UltraHeat 13.5VDC 18" Long 1-1/2" Pipe Heater - Tank and Pipe Heaters - Holding Tank Accessories - Black Water Tanks - Plumbing

http://www.ultraheat.com/owners_manual.html
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 08:47 PM   #6

Thanks 😃
Old 03-14-2015, 01:52 AM   #7

When we were in Idaho it has been down below O and what I have done was added a small 450 watt heater inside the FW tank area (also where water pump is) and one in the wet bay area. Even at those temps the areas in question remained 50 degrees. Just run an extension cord to the 2 heaters and plug into pedestal or in you compartment that has the 110v outlet. I have a 2012 378XL and doing this has keep everything from freezing. Also at those temps did have the HW line in freeze and had to place a drop light in behind the hot water heater. If you unscrew the access hole you will see the in water line and place the drop light under it. Just make sure it is not touching anything. Doing what I stated I can if needed camp in ZERO degree weather. But I won't be doing that no more.
&
Our Baby Dachshund
Cammie
ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #8

I had to make a quick trip to the frozen North (e.g., single digit temps) due to a home emergency. Even the arctic pack on the motorhome was not up to the task resulting in a frozen water pump.There were no heaters of any kind in the big box stores due to widespread record cold temps. Here is my solution to heating the utility bays to prevent freezing. The iron was picked up from a thrift store for $4. The ThermoCube temperature switch is $12 from the local Tractor Supply. Zip tying the iron to a plywood/tile sandwich prevents contact which could melt the plastic walls of the utility bay. The Ikea night light is a visual signal when when the cube has activated. On the "cotton" setting, the setup so far has prevented freezing down to 6 degrees.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rjohnso3a/16194586464/

Tags
pump, water, water pump