Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2018, 10:31 PM   #1

Water pump compartment

I am going to be replacing the water pump in my 2016 335DS. Any idea what purpose the black plastic panel just inside the access door serves? Going to have to take it off to get to the pump due to the entry portals being so small. I’m thinking of leaving this panel off especially since there is a door that makes it critter proof. Plus it will be much easier to winterize. Any thoughts?
David658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:27 AM   #2

One of the first things I did was to remove those black plastic covers to gain access to all those compartments. I am not sure why they installed them in the first place.
jfp2673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David658 View Post
I am going to be replacing the water pump in my 2016 335DS. Any idea what purpose the black plastic panel just inside the access door serves? Going to have to take it off to get to the pump due to the entry portals being so small. I’m thinking of leaving this panel off especially since there is a door that makes it critter proof. Plus it will be much easier to winterize. Any thoughts?
The only logical reason I could come up with was there is wiring coming through that compartment on mine. Used as a barrier to try and protect it.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfp2673 View Post
One of the first things I did was to remove those black plastic covers to gain access to all those compartments. I am not sure why they installed them in the first place.
X2 the teeny tiny holes are impossible to do anything!!!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #5
Kanadian Kamper

The black plastic panels found inside any number of compartments is just to protect wiring or plumbing from any cargo items you might forcefully toss in to store.

Remove them as you like for access to the areas behind, and just be careful loading items.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
The black plastic panels found inside any number of compartments is just to protect wiring or plumbing from any cargo items you might forcefully toss in to store.

Remove them as you like for access to the areas behind, and just be careful loading items.
There was only one panel in the pump compartment and there really isn't room for throwing cargo items in there. The water pump was the only thing that was wired.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schvarak View Post
There was only one panel in the pump compartment and there really isn't room for throwing cargo items in there. The water pump was the only thing that was wired.
I have my emergency road safety Triangles box in there.
Narrow enough between black divider and door
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	177347  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:57 PM   #8

Actually, i was thinking they were there to help with keeping things warm(er) in the winter. They act as an additional barrier to the outside world. If you think about it, those panels are only in places where there is some plumbing (with the obvious exception being the hookup area.

I had thought about removing mine, but then realized, any additional barriers to the cold when it is really cold is a good thing.

Just my thoughts....
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:04 PM   #9

All of the above are good reasons to keep the panels. Also it keeps your stuff away from the wiring, pump and water tank as you are driving down the road. It doesn't take long for a piece of metal or wood to vibrate thru the plastic walls.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogman View Post
All of the above are good reasons to keep the panels. Also it keeps your stuff away from the wiring, pump and water tank as you are driving down the road. It doesn't take long for a piece of metal or wood to vibrate thru the plastic walls.
I don't store anything else in there to keep away from the wiring, pump, or fresh water tank. I have plenty of storage room in the rest of the compartments.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:18 PM   #11

I have been wanting to install a battery monitor for a few weeks now but have been struggling on how to route the wire from the existing panel (new battery monitor) back to the battery. Removing that black panel cleared it up for me. I can now see the other wires going back to the panel and have a plan on running my wire. I can also now see my water tank and how much water is in it. One more thing.....I can see that my low point drains are not the low point. They put the exit hole in the water tank about an inch above the bottom of the tank. There are still several gallons in the tank once I drain it with the low point drains.

Tags
pump, water, water pump