Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2010, 08:40 AM   #1

Water Remaining in the Tank

Checking out the 391 for our weekend trip I looked at the water tank with the access panel completely removed. Despite opening all the drain lines about an inch or so of water remains in the tank. The drain line enters the tank too high to allow a path for those last gallons. I think I see why FR does it so they don't weaken the tank.

Any ideas about getting the last drops out. If my rig sits idle long enough, the water is going to get pretty funky.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:50 AM   #2

You can try to blow out your lines with air, or put some bleach in it. If it sits for awaile, sanatize it before use.
bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tilt the camper towards where the drain line comes out. After that, drive it around a bit with the drain line open. That should pretty much get rid of most of the water.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #4

There are fittings available that can be installed into your water tank. You drill a hole into the tank and these fittings are designed to be installed without inside access. I used one quite successfully in my last TT (a Roo 26RS). I hung a much larger water tank to the bottom of the trailer and needed to change the location of the outlet to suit my needs. I found the fitting at a local RV dealer as a stock item.
You could use one of these fittings to either create a new low point drain or a new outlet to better utilize the water in the tank.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #5

Drain Line

Thanks Mike I will keep your advice in mind. I'm going to try the keep the drain lines open while driving technique first.

I'm headed to Camping World tomorrow about 60 miles and I'll check to see if the tank gets emptied by sloshing.

I'm going to get a quote on replacing the carpeting with some sort of wood or wood-like flooring. Three dogs and a carpet don't mix.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfive View Post
I'm going to get a quote on replacing the carpeting with some sort of wood or wood-like flooring. Three dogs and a carpet don't mix.
Not to hijack your thread, but there are several good thread on RV discussing self installation of Allure flooring bought at Home Depot. Have not tried it myself, but it may be an option in a few years.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:18 PM   #7

Flooring

Hijack away. Before I spend thousands, I'll ask for and listen to advice. I went to the RV.net site but all my queries for allure or flooring failed. Can you give me a specific thread.

Thanks.

p.s. If anyone else is thinking about flooring or has done it, I'll start a whole new thread.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawfive View Post
Hijack away. Before I spend thousands, I'll ask for and listen to advice. I went to the RV.net site but all my queries for allure or flooring failed. Can you give me a specific thread.

Thanks.

p.s. If anyone else is thinking about flooring or has done it, I'll start a whole new thread.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Allure Flooring

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Allure Traffic Master - input please

If you use the search function you can find some more threads.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:50 PM   #9

Flooring

I met a superviser at Camping World today and he estimated about $13K to install new wood or wood like flooring. It was $1,500 per slide to remove and install to do the work.

I went to an RV body shop that does extensive stuff and they came back with about $10,000 plus materials to do the job. Ouch!

Can you spell throwrug?