Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #1

Water System mods - 351DS

Hi!
Over the winter I saw this modification on another RV board and decided we needed to try it for our GT - it involves using brass elbows and brass quick connects on all of your water hoses.

We bought 3 brass elbows and connected them to the water inlets for fresh tank, city water and black flush, and put a brass quick connect on the bottom of each one. We took both our freshwater hose and the one we use for black tank flush and put a brass quick connect on either end. We then put them on our brass Y fitting we use at the water faucet. (see attached photos)

We went out this weekend and it was the first time we had set up using this - it was SO much faster than having to screw the hoses into those hookups in the MH, and because of the elbow, it actually leaked less water in the compartment when we were disconnecting than we've seen in the past. The lack of water when disconnecting was particularly helpful as it was freezing cold (about 38!) when we were unhooking, so having wet gloves/hands would have been seriously no bueno.......

Totally worth the investment - the brass fittings are from Camco and I got them on Amazon.

I wanted to share our results with FRF, since I've gotten so many good modification ideas from reading here.

Thanks!
Garren
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170319_120100_resized.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	132330   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170319_120108_resized.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	493.4 KB
ID:	132331  
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
RIP Sophie, the sweetest cat ever.
ChrisAndGarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:41 PM   #2

I have the same hookup but used the plastic quick connects. You're right about how simple and easy it makes it.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrapperman View Post
I have the same hookup but used the plastic quick connects. You're right about how simple and easy it makes it.
Yeah, my DH was not liking the plastic ones (although we use them at home for the yard) so I found the brass ones. Price wasn't much different.

The time savings was amazing - especially when we went to set up it was pouring down rain so we were trying to get them done as fast as possible.

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAndGarren View Post
Hi!
Over the winter I saw this modification on another RV board and decided we needed to try it for our GT - it involves using brass elbows and brass quick connects on all of your water hoses.

We bought 3 brass elbows and connected them to the water inlets for fresh tank, city water and black flush, and put a brass quick connect on the bottom of each one. We took both our freshwater hose and the one we use for black tank flush and put a brass quick connect on either end. We then put them on our brass Y fitting we use at the water faucet. (see attached photos)

We went out this weekend and it was the first time we had set up using this - it was SO much faster than having to screw the hoses into those hookups in the MH, and because of the elbow, it actually leaked less water in the compartment when we were disconnecting than we've seen in the past. The lack of water when disconnecting was particularly helpful as it was freezing cold (about 38!) when we were unhooking, so having wet gloves/hands would have been seriously no bueno.......

Totally worth the investment - the brass fittings are from Camco and I got them on Amazon.

I wanted to share our results with FRF, since I've gotten so many good modification ideas from reading here.

Thanks!
Garren
Nice share the link for the elbows and quick connects
Old 03-24-2017, 10:39 AM   #5

Guess I am not the only one did this. I bought mine from Walmart.
Narkomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayouownbeer View Post
Nice share the link for the elbows and quick connects
Brass Elbow (need 3)
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-22505-D...ds=camco+22505

Quick connect (need at least 2, but more if you have lots of hoses)
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-20135-B...fittings+camco

Quick connect multi pack (I did buy one of these, but the price has dropped on the one above to $5, so it's actually cheaper to buy 3 of the singles)
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-20136-B...fittings+camco

Brass Y - (need one)
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-20123-B...=brass+y+camco

You could also get them at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes etc, but I'm too lazy to drive looking for them when Amazon will ship them to me.

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
Old 03-24-2017, 06:12 PM   #7

We did it also - very very nice and easy!
chucknviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:33 PM   #8

I just did this mod and I really like it. I have an injured left hand and it is much easier to handle the hoses now. I do have a question - did you plug the quick connects with something when they are disconnected? Wondering if the openings to the black flush and fresh water could be a place for bugs to enter tanks through the new connections?

Thanks!
Darugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darugs View Post
I just did this mod and I really like it. I have an injured left hand and it is much easier to handle the hoses now. I do have a question - did you plug the quick connects with something when they are disconnected? Wondering if the openings to the black flush and fresh water could be a place for bugs to enter tanks through the new connections?

Thanks!
We haven't yet - I was thinking of getting some sort of rubber or vinyl cap, but I haven't got ambitious enough yet to go buy them......I'm not terribly concerned as they are in a compartment and there were little screens on the hookups on the RV before I put the elbows on.

Garren
Edgar & Carlos (felines)
Old 03-31-2017, 08:06 AM   #10
Fireman

Send a message via AIM to dutch
Yes we did the same thing a while ago made all our water fittings quick disconnect. It really works nice when its raining outside.
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:08 AM   #11

I use elbows, but not quick disconnects. The existing caps fit them nicely.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water