Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #21
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
The posted weight is the individual weight not the combined weight,.
Yep, and the posted weight is 5-tons. In my communications with the Maryland State Highway Administration, even when I'm traveling in my dually non-commercially by itself (12,300 lb. GVWR), I'm supposed to stop.

That said, there was also an undertone of the emails that basically said, "yeah, you're supposed to, but we won't come after you". I don't stop when towing and certainly am not stopping with the truck alone.

BUT- this is one of those "spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law". The spirit is commercial only. The letter is, everyone over 5T GVWR.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:15 PM   #22

Depends on the state you are in. As stated in some states over 10,000gvw ( think a 42' MH qualifies) and towing (Toad) with a passenger vehicle or specialty vehicle (RV) you are then required to pull through the WS.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #23

I think I'll go with the spirit of the law. Or...ask forgiveness not permission. A lifelong code.
rhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:22 PM   #24

There is always the chance you "might" be overweight or have a safety item. Do you have the mandatory fire extinguisher/ Is it's location labeled? Best to leave them alone. Toy hauler, have any fuel improperly stored? The list goes on.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:39 PM   #25

My husband was DOT for 34 years. He said they'd more than likely wave you through.
lindalees818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #26

Also, if you pull in and they DO weigh you, it's possible that if you are overweight they may do something about it. It's like driving with lights not working...a trooper can pull you over for being unsafe. If you let them weigh you and you're over what your weight should be, you may be considered unsafe to them. So if you pull in and you've got an unsafe problem you may be asking for trouble.
lindalees818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #27
Done with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalees818 View Post
Also, if you pull in and they DO weigh you, it's possible that if you are overweight they may do something about it. It's like driving with lights not working...a trooper can pull you over for being unsafe. If you let them weigh you and you're over what your weight should be, you may be considered unsafe to them. So if you pull in and you've got an unsafe problem you may be asking for trouble.
Yep. One light out on a bad day for the LEO's could result in a bad day for the operator. Like I said, don't ask for it.

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #28

You will not get a gross weigh of your rig on their scales anyway, just axle weights that do a quick calculation to ensure the truck is not over gross
Allisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:20 PM   #29

To DOT or not to DOT??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
No.

Private rig, not for hire, not under DOT authority.
Well in most states you are correct, BUT more and more states are ADDING not just rv's but anything over a certain weight or registration type. I know for a fact EVERYTHING in FL has to go through the scales, now if you are an rv you have a separate line, and also in CA it is the same.

So as more and more states change the registrations and drivers licenses and the need for an endorsements for rv's'

So as a driver it is always the drivers responsibility to read ALL signs to know what you are suppose to do or not to do. SO please drive carefully and just watch the signs as they will tell you if you NEED to pull in, as if you drive past it could be a big ticket or worse, as the cops pulling you over will DOT police and then they could make things very unhappy (if you a drive by)
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Schings View Post
I didn't plan on it, but was curious. Now you have me more curious...

Why "WILL" they find something wrong? 99+% of the trucks that go through have no problems and THEY ARE being checked for legality. If I do get weighed, the DOT guy has no other authority to check my rig, or search it etc. You sound a little paranoid.....

I had a Freightliner with a 14ft RV Cab and 53 foot double decker Featherlite trailer that I used to haul our race cars from shop to track and back. While I was "not for hire" per se', I got stopped in NC and Ohio by troopers who insisted I had to go through the scales. (nicely enough). So I did. Without a DOT number etc, the scale guys told the troopers they were crazy and they just passed me through both times.. Again nice enough.. So, I just wonder why you think they are going to get me for something. I am figuring they get a puzzled look and weigh me or... tell me to get the hell off their scales...

I think now that I am going to try it. I will let you know.
You know for a fact that the DOT guy has no other authority. What if someone saw something fall of of your rig and followed you to the scales and told the DOT guy what they saw.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #31

My brother worked NYS DOT truck safety inspections for 30 years, 20 of them supervisor. They did not have any legal authorities other than "safety items" for commercial trucks. That is why they always worked in tandem with local or state law enforcement.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #32

Thanks for answering my question, I never stopped at those scales but always looked to see if the cops were coming after me for not stopping. Glad I never stopped at the scales and pissed them off. LOL
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight