Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #1

Weird

Has anyone had a problem with their CO2 detector going off for no reason. Two nights ago my wife woke me up at 2am telling me the alarm was going off (superman type hearing!). It was, so I opened the ceiling vent and turned on the fan and after 15 seconds all was good. Back to my dreams, elbow to the side 10 mins. later it was going off again! Same routine, but open a window and leave open all night. Good to go, for two nights. This am it starts again, same routine but predicting rain so I can't leave a window open. Open bathroom door all the way and open vent (MaxAir) all the way. Home from work, alls good. I have not opened the propane valve yet, shut off for winter, and it's basically sitting in the drive plugged in but winterized and not used, sad, yet. Weird.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:50 PM   #2

Could be it's going off due to house battery gassing off. Or it's time to replace it. Do you have a dog? When our dog would lie by our detector and let one fly it would go off.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Could be it's going off due to house battery gassing off. Or it's time to replace it. Do you have a dog? When our dog would lie by our detector and let one fly it would go off.
I haven't laughed today until I read about your dog letting one fly and setting off your detector.

Did it take more than once to cure him/her of doing that?

Thanks for the laugh.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #4

My 6 month old Rockwood Roo does the same thing occasionally. True story: had a friend sleeping in the bed nearest the detector this past weekend and it alarmed at 2 am and woke us all up. Opened a vent and it did not alarm again until......my friend came up with a theory. He said he had a bad case of gas that night and was letting it fly loose about the time the alarm went off. He later confirm the theory when he cut one loose by the detector and guess what happened? Juvenile I know but I have not laughed that hard in a long time. Next time my friend needs to bring a tent.
jrackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #5

We have the combined propane/CO detector. One evening this winter, while we were in Florida, it went off. It sets close to the floor by the steps and entrance in our 5w. No appliances on and furnace was off. No propane smell. Our rv is only a year old. Opened the door, pushed the reset button and it shut off. Haven't heard it since. If it happens again, I will get it replaced. Can't imagine waking up to that blasting.
Hijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Almost certainly the batteries gassing. After the rig has been plugged in for several hours, open the house battery compartment and feel the batteries. They should only be slightly warm to the touch. My guess is one or both are somewhat hot. Also, check the fluid level in the batteries - my guess is that one or more cells are low - another sign it is gassing.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #7

We had the same identical situation as the Trempert's. Had to replace the house batteries. Still happens when I initially start the MH but stops after pushing the reset button a couple times.
buddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:05 PM   #8

Isn't it weird they always false alarm in the middle of the night?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #9

This thread is worth it just for the laughs this AM provided by Wiscampsin and Jrackley! Definition of LOL! Anyway, I am glad to hear a couple of reply suggesting the house batteries gassing, as that was my guess. However, I also thought how can that be when they are essentially outside the rig with airflow under it. I have noticed under the door where the house batts sit there is some spillage from the them. I filled them with distilled water prior to putting them back in after winter storage.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:44 AM   #10

My detector used to go off but only when plugged to shore power. Replaced the coach batteries with sealed batteries. End of problem. Hydrogen gas is lighter than air and will rise up through sides of steps. Sensor is close to steps. post hoc ergo proctor hoc.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 AM   #11

We had the same thing happen this winter while in Florida. I suspected the batteries too, but slowly the problem worsened until the combined co propane detector was going off every 45 minutes. Had the unit checked for leaks, then had the detector replaced. End of problem.. The CO detector in the bedroom also failed a few weeks later. Replaced that one too. No more problems.. The RV repairman said failures of these units are pretty common. They have a lifespan of 5 years, but don't seem to last that long
Old 04-15-2014, 09:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Gonna have to replace mine before our first trip this year. Kept going off in the shed late last fall, so I finally disconnected it.

As for blaming the pup...our Aussie will lay in the middle of the floor and cut one that will make you sick. As soon as she does it, she will look at me and my wife. My wife tells her she is nasty. That hurts her feelings and she goes to the other room. I could see some of hers setting off the fire alarm too...
2001 Centurion Elite Bowrider direct drive
"Old water skier"
Jesus Christ my Saviour
kerrlakelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #13

Way more information in this thread than I need this early in the morning.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #14
Happily Retired Member

The unit in my bedroom also failed after about 8 months. The factory unit ( can't remember the brand) had a history of early failures(according to Google) I replaced it with a sealed 5 year lifespan unit. All is well.
Mickeystamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #15

I don't know if this thread will get any replies, but figure I'll try. I originally asked posted about my CO detector going off and most replies were in reference to that. In fact it is my LP Gas detector that's causing us sleep less nights! Funny, with cooler night heavier air the darn thing goes off. I would think there is a propane problem but it is quite intermittent, almost only at night, and started before I turned on the propane valve after winter. Has anyone had problems with the LP detector? Heading out for Memorial Day weekend, bad weather and home issues have caused delays to the start of the camping season. DW is worried but I reassure her we are fine with windows and ceiling vents open.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Honestly it may be a bad detector

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #17

Same here. Major pain in the...Goes off in cooler weather and middle of the night. Trailer battery is outside in front so doubt it is the cause but who knows. Sometimes we think the furnace set it off but it goes off without anything running. If we open vents the trailer it helps but somtimes we want the vents closed. Guess I better warranty it.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:33 PM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Hair spray pets certain chemicals will set these off as well.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #19

I originally thought the problem was caused by the odor from the spearmint/peppermint sachets of mouse repellent I spread throughout the rig during winter storage. Though the rig has been aired out since bringing it home in early April (wish full thinking at that time to get a jump on the season), I wonder if there is some residual odor I can't smell but the detector is picking up. Almost immediately after turning on the bathroom vent fan the detector will turn off. I'm hoping that using the rig and driving with windows open will really circulate and exchange the air. If it persists during this weekend, I'll either have to take it in to be checked out, or see if I can replace the detector.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:27 AM   #20

We've had the same problem with ours and I think I've got it narrowed down to Florida humidity. It will light off, in the middle of the night, when it is cool enough that the a/c is not running and that will allow the humidity to build inside the coach and then settle causing the detector told go off. It also happens when the door has been opened and closed a lot with folks going in and out. As we head west on our journeys we hope to find less humidity and maybe less alarms! In the meantime we aim the tower fan we have in the living area at the detector when we go to bed at night and the detector has not gone off since we started doing that.

P.S. I called the manufacturer and they said "maybe humidity would trigger it".
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote