Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #21

Lostdog, thanks for the reply! Good idea on the fan. I think I'll go to WalMart and pick one up before we head out for the weekend. Are you thinking of replacing the detector? Seeing that your rig is also a 2011, I would assume we have the same model/manfac. of the LP detector.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #22

Thought about replacing the detector but have you priced them? Way over a hundred bucks with the companion gas valve. It seems the detector that we have has an outdated valve and a new detector requires the new valve. Planned that way, maybe?
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
Thought about replacing the detector but have you priced them? Way over a hundred bucks with the companion gas valve. It seems the detector that we have has an outdated valve and a new detector requires the new valve. Planned that way, maybe?
I know nothing about these units. What gas valve? Can your unit turn off the gas if it detects leakage? Don't think mine is wired like that but I guess I should look into it. (Rockwood 2306)
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #24

Both of the guys are in Class A m/h which have a ANSI tank fixed to the chassis. It must be fitted with an auto shut down when detector senses a leak in the cabin.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #25

OK, got it. Thanks. Figured it was something like that.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #26

I also have had the co2 unit go off, mine it is the battery's gassing off. Good luck!
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #27
Site Team

Mine went off when wife busted a jar of pickles. And again while repairing PVC pipe under drain with PVC glue. Apparently they detect any strong smell.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
I know nothing about these units. What gas valve? Can your unit turn off the gas if it detects leakage? Don't think mine is wired like that but I guess I should look into it. (Rockwood 2306)
It does turn off the gas when it goes off. Look in your propane area and you will see a valve on the gas line that will have wires to it. If your battery switch is on then the valve will be really warm.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:21 PM   #29

What is the cost of a complete new unit, they have a life span of app 5 years!
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:02 PM   #30

May have to replace mine

Mine has been screaming off/on for a few days. I have the TT plugged into the AC in the shed. No gas is turned on, nothing going on inside or out. Thought I'd check the battery on the tongue. Turned the power off, put a meter on the +/- terminals and it read 11.38. I figure the battery is dead or dying. So, I'll probably replace it with a deep cycle battery soon. The durn thing came brand new with a car battery! Didn't know any better until I started reading up on FRF that I had the wrong battery! Guess I got snookered by the dealer on that one.

Well, I pulled the alarm away from the wall and saw that it had a Rapunzel bunch of wires connected to the red/black wires of the alarm. Of course, if I were to replace the alarm, I'd hook it back the way it is now, with a big wire nut. But, can anybody say what/where all the other wires go to?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	510.8 KB
ID:	53021  
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timex View Post
Mine has been screaming off/on for a few days. I have the TT plugged into the AC in the shed. No gas is turned on, nothing going on inside or out. Thought I'd check the battery on the tongue. Turned the power off, put a meter on the +/- terminals and it read 11.38. I figure the battery is dead or dying. So, I'll probably replace it with a deep cycle battery soon. The durn thing came brand new with a car battery! Didn't know any better until I started reading up on FRF that I had the wrong battery! Guess I got snookered by the dealer on that one.

Well, I pulled the alarm away from the wall and saw that it had a Rapunzel bunch of wires connected to the red/black wires of the alarm. Of course, if I were to replace the alarm, I'd hook it back the way it is now, with a big wire nut. But, can anybody say what/where all the other wires go to?
Since you don't have a fixed tank and shutoff valve, the back of your alarm became a junction box for 4 other circuits. All the wires grouped like that are in parallel, only one is the power supply and return, the others are loads. Without a wiring diagram its hard to tell what they are, maybe a safety light for steps things like that. You can get crimp wirenuts or just screw type. If you don't want to disturb a good connection, just cut off the old meter close to the source and pigtail the new meter with wirenuts into the the old leads.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #32

If I am understanding you right, just clip the red and black wires off the old alarm and tie wires from a new alarm to them. No need to disturb the splice. Correct?
Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:55 PM   #33

Correct, maintain same polarity.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:54 PM   #34

Update, made it through Memorial Day weekend (great!) without a peep (knock on wood). Has not gone off since so here's hoping it was residual mouse stuff odors.
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:27 PM   #35

Looks like some help is coming. Read through the whole thread.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lem-61061.html
Old 05-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #36
Citrus County, Fl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman12 View Post
I don't know if this thread will get any replies, but figure I'll try. I originally asked posted about my CO detector going off and most replies were in reference to that. In fact it is my LP Gas detector that's causing us sleep less nights! Funny, with cooler night heavier air the darn thing goes off. I would think there is a propane problem but it is quite intermittent, almost only at night, and started before I turned on the propane valve after winter. Has anyone had problems with the LP detector? Heading out for Memorial Day weekend, bad weather and home issues have caused delays to the start of the camping season. DW is worried but I reassure her we are fine with windows and ceiling vents open.
The LP detector in our 99 Terry would go off for no reason. I discovered it was picking up odors from dry dog food in the nearby crate. Easy fix was to put a toggle switch on it and just turn it off when needed to avoid being annoyed.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #37
Site Team

Mine went off while setting up Friday night. Reset 4 times. It finally cleared and shut up after about 30 mins.

Sent from my XT907 using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:30 AM   #38

We had the same problem. Finally figured out it was the Scentsy warmer, fine during the day when doors and windows get opened but at night it would go off around 3 am. So no more Scentsy for us and no more problems.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
Dennis and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote