Old 04-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #1

Weird

Has anyone had a problem with their CO2 detector going off for no reason. Two nights ago my wife woke me up at 2am telling me the alarm was going off (superman type hearing!). It was, so I opened the ceiling vent and turned on the fan and after 15 seconds all was good. Back to my dreams, elbow to the side 10 mins. later it was going off again! Same routine, but open a window and leave open all night. Good to go, for two nights. This am it starts again, same routine but predicting rain so I can't leave a window open. Open bathroom door all the way and open vent (MaxAir) all the way. Home from work, alls good. I have not opened the propane valve yet, shut off for winter, and it's basically sitting in the drive plugged in but winterized and not used, sad, yet. Weird.

sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #2

Could be it's going off due to house battery gassing off. Or it's time to replace it. Do you have a dog? When our dog would lie by our detector and let one fly it would go off.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Could be it's going off due to house battery gassing off. Or it's time to replace it. Do you have a dog? When our dog would lie by our detector and let one fly it would go off.
I haven't laughed today until I read about your dog letting one fly and setting off your detector.

Did it take more than once to cure him/her of doing that?

Thanks for the laugh.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #4

My 6 month old Rockwood Roo does the same thing occasionally. True story: had a friend sleeping in the bed nearest the detector this past weekend and it alarmed at 2 am and woke us all up. Opened a vent and it did not alarm again until......my friend came up with a theory. He said he had a bad case of gas that night and was letting it fly loose about the time the alarm went off. He later confirm the theory when he cut one loose by the detector and guess what happened? Juvenile I know but I have not laughed that hard in a long time. Next time my friend needs to bring a tent.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:57 PM   #5

We have the combined propane/CO detector. One evening this winter, while we were in Florida, it went off. It sets close to the floor by the steps and entrance in our 5w. No appliances on and furnace was off. No propane smell. Our rv is only a year old. Opened the door, pushed the reset button and it shut off. Haven't heard it since. If it happens again, I will get it replaced. Can't imagine waking up to that blasting.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Almost certainly the batteries gassing. After the rig has been plugged in for several hours, open the house battery compartment and feel the batteries. They should only be slightly warm to the touch. My guess is one or both are somewhat hot. Also, check the fluid level in the batteries - my guess is that one or more cells are low - another sign it is gassing.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:57 PM   #7

We had the same identical situation as the Trempert's. Had to replace the house batteries. Still happens when I initially start the MH but stops after pushing the reset button a couple times.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:05 PM   #8

Isn't it weird they always false alarm in the middle of the night?

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #9

This thread is worth it just for the laughs this AM provided by Wiscampsin and Jrackley! Definition of LOL! Anyway, I am glad to hear a couple of reply suggesting the house batteries gassing, as that was my guess. However, I also thought how can that be when they are essentially outside the rig with airflow under it. I have noticed under the door where the house batts sit there is some spillage from the them. I filled them with distilled water prior to putting them back in after winter storage.
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:44 AM   #10

My detector used to go off but only when plugged to shore power. Replaced the coach batteries with sealed batteries. End of problem. Hydrogen gas is lighter than air and will rise up through sides of steps. Sensor is close to steps. post hoc ergo proctor hoc.