Old 12-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
Weird one

We are on the road fm Cdn to Florida. Yesterday morning filled up my water tank, drove 500miles stop over for the night at flying J. The wife took a shower like usual while not hooked up to city water she was managing water. To our surprise we ran out of water before the end. This never happen before, look at the tank an it was empty not one drop left. Look everywhere for a leak could not find any trace of water. Where did my water go? Used water during the day no more no less then usual. Usually we last 2 full days on a full tank. Anybody had this happen to them before?

tilap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
If there is not even a drop left in your fresh water tank then it is most likely leaking out the bottom. Either from a drain valve or from a crack in the tank itself. Did you refill and see what happens? Another possibility is the pump was left on and a faucet opened enough to cause you to pump all your water down the drain. I'm sure others will have more suggestions if neither of these are it.

Seasonally in the Grand Marias, MN campground
On the beautiful shores of Lake Superior

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
Site Team
I have also read where you can actually get a siphoning effect on your fresh water tank. Here are some Georgetown threads on it:

Fresh water tank spills out

Water Supply Siphon
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I've just ordered a chicken and an egg from Amazon.... I will keep you posted.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
Retired US Army CW4
I had the same problem. Checked the drain valve and it was secure. Eventually discovered that when I filled the tank all the way up and started driving the water started siphoning out of the fill vent on top of the tank. Installed a PVC shutoff on the line and solved the problem. Just remember to open the shutoff when you stop.
2014 Georgetown 329DS
Towing a 2011 Jeep Wrangler JKU w/ReadyBrake
Yorkie guard dog on the dash
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
What was your water display before the shower? It could be that you just used more than usual. I am not exactly how it is set up but when you over fill your water tank it should be that like a bath tub in that there is an over flow hole and that might create a siphoning effect to a point....water will also flow out of it as you drive because of the sloshing....stop quickly, pull out a little too quickly on a hill etc you will loose water down to a certain level.

WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
If you fill the water tank too far it will reach the drain tube at the top of the tank and will then siphon out. This is a problem with I had with several motorhomes with Forest River. The tube is there to prevent overfilling the tank but you can't get max utilization out of the tank. This is a real downer for dry camping.

Last trip I filled it 3/4 full and then departed. The sloshing of the water started the siphoning and when I arrived at a site that night the tank was nearly empty. I have raised this issue to Forest River for warranty work but don't know what they are going to do.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
scivilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #7

This scenario of "where did the water go" has been written about under more headings that one can count, but it's always the same. Tried filling up the on board water tank to the max for our trip..........and now there is none or hardly any.

Fill your tank to the top (or really near the top) and it will siphon out. The only solution is put an in-line tap on the overflow pipe. Make sure to open it when you try to use the on-board need air behind water to flow properly.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
I have a 2014 and while I know it will siphon some when I fill it to the brim but when all the leaking/siphoning is said and done my gage still reads full though I know am down a good 20 gallons and that's at least one extra shower but that's much better than nothing at all so maybe they have tried to correct the problem on my model.

WDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
I believe it is the siphon effect that everyone is talking about. If you loo at the clear vent hose on the fresh water tank you can install a cut off that once the FW tank is full just turn the valve off and this will stop any water exiting the FW tank. I have filled mine to the brim and have never had an issue. I have read others have and this I believe was one of the items that individuals installed to correct the problem. Looked at my clear hose and it runs up and over the tank then to the exit under the MH, not sure if yours runs the same. might be worth a look.
Andrew & Donna Reyes
2012 Georgetown 378XL
2015 Ford Taurus
Our Baby Dachshund
ramair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
One time I over filled my tank and the water came out the overflow and just kept coming. We don't dry camp very often if we did I would try to put in some kind of shut off.

2012 Georgetown 378TS Fire Mist
2008 Honda Fit
ReadyBrake™ Surge Brake System integrated with ReadyBrute™ Elite RV Tow Bar
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote