Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2017, 05:02 PM   #1

Wet parking

Well Kentucky deer season is here next week, suppose to rain 4 of 9 days before we arrive. Our normal boondocking parking is in a field on top of hill, flat area to pull off road and is mainly hardpack and have not had issues in the past. I am trying to figure out how do I know if the field is hard enough to pull in. I surely do not want to sink my 329 in the field. Nearest camp ground is 30 miles, and hampers hunting traveling back and forth.

Any ideas, I am pretty sure the responses are, don't chance it
Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #2

To be honest, and I don't mean to be rude, let someone else try it out before you go. Once the trailer starts to go down you won't be able to back out, getting stuck with an rv is no laughing matter, trust me.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:09 PM   #3

Well the way I used to test for a 26000lb plus drill rig was walk in on my heals and if I sank in it was normal too wet and soft
Jmkjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #4
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmkjr72 View Post
Well the way I used to test for a 26000lb plus drill rig was walk in on my heals and if I sank in it was normal too wet and soft
Great advice!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Once the trailer starts to go down you won't be able to back out, getting stuck with an rv is no laughing matter, trust me.
X2--> I got stuck on my first trip out and once the trailer starts sinking your gonna have trouble. Just keep your wits about you if this occurs and don't do anything that will make your situation worse. Remember that you have leveling boards with you (I hope) and if an issue occurs you can use them for dry ramps. Disconnecting the truck and trailer, pulling forward, placing the leveling boards under where the wheels will be, then backing onto the boards, and reconnecting the camper worked really well. Next time though if I question the area to drive/park I'll disconnect and go in the area without the load first. I've also added a tow strap to my supplies cause ya just never know.

My getting stuck was a long story but basically I was stuck twice within 20 minutes. Ironically and fortunately I felt the truck sinking first and headed for harder ground before the truck wheels started to spin. Notice that I said harder ground not solid ground.

To make this even worse I also experienced the shackles flipping during this same trip when the wheels were both lifted off the sloped ground that happened to be the only dry enough area to park.
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:42 PM   #6

Tow straps are good to have. However, snatch straps are probably better & safer for pulling stuck vehicles.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 06:52 PM   #7

I am a coward when it comes to towing. When in doubt, I don't. Pretty simple rule.

Once committed, go for it and hope it works. Not as good as the above.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #8
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secarider View Post
Well Kentucky deer season is here next week, suppose to rain 4 of 9 days before we arrive. Our normal boondocking parking is in a field on top of hill, flat area to pull off road and is mainly hardpack and have not had issues in the past. I am trying to figure out how do I know if the field is hard enough to pull in.
If you see a few deer laying around having a couple beers nearby where you park, don't go in there.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parking