Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #41

There is a flexible tube that screws onto the oil quart and lets you pour the oil way easier and without spilling. It even has a shut off valve. Don't remember the cost but think it was less than $5 at Wallyworld. At first I had my oil changers done at a Ford truck dealer but I discovered in year two that they never greased the number 9 fitting that hides under a plastic cap near the stearing box. The other factor that contributed to doing my own service was not the cost. It was having to drive to/from and wait at the service center. It was just more convenient to do it myself. Got all the tools and worked as a mechanic as a young man. But that fill tube is a pain if you don't have a flexible fill device. Miss the days when all you needed was a timing light and dwell tachometer to do your own tunes.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:05 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargo444 View Post
Well I started the thread and it has nothing to do with saving money -- it has to do with knowing the job is done right -- proper filter & on right, and the proper 7 quarts of quality motor oil. I suppose paid the same as you for my Georgetown (so nothing special there). Likewise in years past I rebuilt motors (including heads), rear ends, brake jobs, etc etc in my garage many times so I don't take a back seat to most people as far a wrenching is concerned. My only complaints are: 1) the dip stick is poorly designed and 2) it is that it is nearly impossible to pour the fresh motor into the crank because there is not enough room to tip the container. The pump will solve that and I solved the dipstick problem as well. As to changing oil in the Georgetown except for the refill part it could not be simpler - 30 minutes tops. But please feel free to take your Georgetown to a dealer or whatever you want to do for oil changes.
Well said!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #43

Quote:
Funny I just noticed that 0W20 grade oil yesterday and wondered about it! Now I know!

P.S. Depending on the year the motor in the professor's Buick Electra 225 ("deuce and a quarter") could have been a number of sizes starting at 401 cu in in the early '60s to 425 ci and then finally to 455 ci in the early '70s. I can't remember the years for the changes anymore.
I bought a fitting to replace the oil pan plug that has a simple lever to drain using a hose to to the waste oil container ensuring there's no spill. So, this will be the only time I use the pump to drain from the dipstick tube.
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
There is a flexible tube that screws onto the oil quart and lets you pour the oil way easier and without spilling. It even has a shut off valve. Don't remember the cost but think it was less than $5 at Wallyworld. At first I had my oil changers done at a Ford truck dealer but I discovered in year two that they never greased the number 9 fitting that hides under a plastic cap near the stearing box. The other factor that contributed to doing my own service was not the cost. It was having to drive to/from and wait at the service center. It was just more convenient to do it myself. Got all the tools and worked as a mechanic as a young man. But that fill tube is a pain if you don't have a flexible fill device. Miss the days when all you needed was a timing light and dwell tachometer to do your own tunes.
Thanks! I just KNEW there had to be something like that flexible cap you describe out there SOMEWHERE

And yes exactly right on the inconvenience factor!

Only one of the 4 or 5 Ford dealerships in Cincinnati area will service an RV. Fuller Ford is a great dealership but they are near downtown area off I-75 (always under construction) and my RV is stored 35 miles away -- setting up and getting the G-town in for an oil change on the appointed day and then getting it back to its parking pad in Batavia, OH is a real HASSLE -- it is an all day affair.

I do plan to grease the steering also while I am waiting for the oil to drain out.

As to simpler days -- YES! Working on motors was fun because I knew exactly what I was doing -- it became much less like fun starting about 1980 or so..............
Old 08-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #45

Quote:
Thanks! I just KNEW there had to be something like that flexible cap you describe out there SOMEWHERE

And yes exactly right on the inconvenience factor!

Only one of the 4 or 5 Ford dealerships in Cincinnati area will service an RV. Fuller Ford is a great dealership but they are near downtown area off I-75 (always under construction) and my RV is stored 35 miles away -- setting up and getting the G-town in for an oil change on the appointed day and then getting it back to its parking pad in Batavia, OH is a real HASSLE -- it is an all day affair.

I do plan to grease the steering also while I am waiting for the oil to drain out.

As to simpler days -- YES! Working on motors was fun because I knew exactly what I was doing -- it became much less like fun starting about 1980 or so..............

I like your post. Aah, the simpler days..
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #46

I know the electronic ignitions etc are more efficient but very little under the hood is familiar anymore!
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 08:14 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMFl View Post
I know the electronic ignitions etc are more efficient but very little under the hood is familiar anymore!
Exactly! These days with microprocessor control there are very few static compromises - from ignition timing, to valve lift, to the suspension everything is on-the-fly adjustable and and thus maximized for the road situation at hand. You have to really go to school to be a mechanic these days. The intense competition in the auto-industry has honed the technology to a fine edge and it is as durable and redundant as it is functional. Add to that kinetic energy recovery and hybrid technology....it all pretty impressive IMO. Changing oil is still pretty much the same though! LOL