Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #41
USN Desert Storm Vet

Send a message via Skype™ to bfhammer
I've never had any issue getting the discount at home depot or lowe's. They are both great at the discount. I have the service connected VA card.
bfhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:38 PM   #42

The discount can vary by area.

Lowe's gives all retirees and active duty a 10% discount in any of their stores and do not have a cap to my knowledge.

Home Depots located near a Lowe's will normally give 10% on some items to compete with Lowe's and do have a cap.

Home Depots not near Lowe's usually only give the military discount on some holidays.

This has been my experience. All in all it is worth asking.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #43

many good answers already but i'll add my experience. I need to get to 110 psi on my fifth wheel tires. we recently moved to a smaller town and I went to all the gas stations and tire shops to see if they could go up that high. none of the gas stations could. the tires shops were iffy. so i went all through the internet and ended up getting a viair rv air pump kit. i have used it and i works fine. that helps came with an extension air hose and that helps get to the tires. it cost $300 but i now have piece of mind in that i can care for my tires myself. I've just read way to many articles about tire failures due to underinflation and i will do all i can to avoid that experience.
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #44
Commercial Member

I have a couple of Blog posts that might help you make a more informed decision on the need for a compressor to carry along.

One raises the question of Do you actually need a compressor?

There is also a post with suggestion on how to "Top-Off" your tire when you need a couple of psi.

Both point out the need to be aware that there are serious safety concerns if you find you need to add more than 20% air back into one of your tires.
Attempting to inflate a tire that has been run while significantly low on air can result in injury or even death. There is equipment known as "safety cage" that can help control the results of a tire explosion.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:14 AM   #45

I use my tire pump when the TPMS is say the pressure is approx 5-7lbs low.. If it is way off then there is a reason for it and it needs to be found first.. I also carry a plug kit for emergencies but if it is a sidewall issue you are done till auto service arrives.. I have only had to add at the beginning of the season
Old 05-11-2016, 03:04 PM   #46
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVnut View Post
I use my tire pump when the TPMS is say the pressure is approx 5-7lbs low.. If it is way off then there is a reason for it and it needs to be found first.. I also carry a plug kit for emergencies but if it is a sidewall issue you are done till auto service arrives.. I have only had to add at the beginning of the season

I hope you are running a +10 psi cushion above the minimum pressure needed to support the confirmed measured max load on all your tires.

AND that you have your TPM set to warn if/when you hit the minimum pressure to support the load.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires