Old 09-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Click image for larger version

Name:	View_of_Driver_s_Area.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	3366

This is our coach with the Barrel Chair and yes it does have a seat belt. It rotates around as well.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #12

Hi Nitehawk
Your observations about the 19" Jensen are right on. I just checked our buildout sheet and FR charged 710.50 for the bedroom TV. I can't comment on the Quality of Jensen vs others as I'm no expert. I do Know that it operates on either AC or DC and that is a worthwhile feature if you do much boondocking. Jensen lists the TV at $400 and states that it is HD and 1080p resolution. I dont know what is entailed to get the HD resolution in your coach but the TV is supposedly capable.
Like you I am disappointed in the sewer outlet configuration and dont know why they have it designed as it is. I would have liked it to terminate inside the coach compartment and have briefly looked at how I might be able to modify it to achieve that. If you can get FR to do that that is a definite improvement as it eliminates the bending over and searching underneath to make the hose connection.
Lloyd

Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #13

Thanks cfsoistman for the picture. The chair looks better than I expected except I can't tell from the picture if it is leather or fabric. I really need about 8 seat belts and with the barrel chair I think that makes 7. I will have to try to add one more to the dinette which I believe has only 1 belt. I wonder if I could order the rig with extra belts directly from FR.

The comments about the side view cameras are welcome. I was planning to get them just because ... I think they are cool. I have driven a large full size van most of my adult life and mirrors are second nature but was wondering which way I would look when making a turn. I had not thought about those close quarter situations when backing up into campsites and such.

I was unaware that the tvs were AC/DC. It would certainty make them more useful in the environment of an RV. Is there a DVD player and/or some type of video switch box in the rig somewhere?

Thanks again for all the comments, they sound of experience and common sense. I am sure lots of other people looking at the Georgetowns will enjoy them as well.

Mike
Old 09-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #14

Sounds like there are a lot of options on the 2011 Georgetowns. Ours is a 2008 and it came standard with all of the options, two tvs, 2 a/c, convection oven, electric seat and artic package. We added washer and dryer, the dual pane windows, upgraded the front A/c to a 15,000 and added an oven with the stove. We also added the satellite dish and cable for HD signals. We have the fireplace so the heat strips are not missed. We also don't have the side cameras, but I am used to using the mirrors after towing a tt and a 5th wheel for 30 years. We chose not to get the full body paint as it added extra weight to the coach.
Since we have had the coach for a couple of years now, we have added extra 110V outlets on both sides of the coach and extra outlets in the living room. We towed a saturn 9,000 miles out west and saw the pacific from oregon to Calif and she never gave me a bit of problem. What little problems we had at the first were minimal compaired to several friends that have both gas and diesel pushers. FR makes a good product.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:13 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst2 View Post
Hi Nitehawk
Your observations about the 19" Jensen are right on. I just checked our buildout sheet and FR charged 710.50 for the bedroom TV. I can't comment on the Quality of Jensen vs others as I'm no expert. I do Know that it operates on either AC or DC and that is a worthwhile feature if you do much boondocking. Jensen lists the TV at $400 and states that it is HD and 1080p resolution. I dont know what is entailed to get the HD resolution in your coach but the TV is supposedly capable.
Like you I am disappointed in the sewer outlet configuration and dont know why they have it designed as it is. I would have liked it to terminate inside the coach compartment and have briefly looked at how I might be able to modify it to achieve that. If you can get FR to do that that is a definite improvement as it eliminates the bending over and searching underneath to make the hose connection.
Lloyd
According to the MSRP that is on the RVDirect website the 19" BR TV is a $455 option not $710.50. I don't know where you got that figure unless your dealer made up his own MSRP, something they are not above doing. If you ask RVdirect for a quote you will find out that FR charges the dealer $325 for that TV which is not that far out of line. We want a larger TV than that in the BR, so i've got figure out how to get that one out and put in a 25" we already have. As far as the sewer connection, I think you could saw off the sewer pipe inside the compartment and glue a new connection on the pipe. After all its just black PVC just like the use in a house.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:30 AM   #16

Both our TVs front and rear have component cable run for them as well as Coax. We do have HD with that although it's not as good as HDMI. I wonder if they quit putting in the component cable?

On our 378 a surround sound DVD system with subwoofer came standard. It also came standard with an AVS100HD audio video HD selector switch. Don't know what the new ones have. Sounds like the 2009s might have been the last ones before they started pulling out some of the "standard" features to save money.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:55 AM   #17

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelHawk View Post
To work up specs to order a Georgetown 280DS, I talked with a couple of Forest River people plus my dealer, who also talked with FR. What I learned...

The standard Jensen brand TVs are overpriced for what they are. Better TVs can be bought for less from Costco. The question then is, what about in-coach wiring and mounting?

The Jensen 19" bedroom TV is claimed to be HDTV 1080i but the specs posted by Jensen indicate it's just barely better than SD, not fully HD. But that barely matters because the connection from front TV location to the bedroom TV is a RF coax cable (not HDMI or component or even composite video/audio). If that coax is used to send the RF output of a satellite receiver from front to back, it will be SD no matter what kind of bedroom TV is installed. The only benefit of an HD bedroom TV is if it is fed from a bedroom DVD and/or a bedroom-installed satellite receiver.

The bedroom is said to be wired for TV even if it is not ordered. Supposedly this means a bedroom TV can be added later without major surgery on the coach. This seems to mean a coax cable runs from front TV to back TV, and the bedroom TV AC power outlet is in place, along with a backboard to mount the TV in the normal place. But these statements were always accompanied by "I think" -- even from the factory folks.

Note that adding a TV requires both the TV and mounting brackets, and perhaps some cables. Jensen's web site sells TV mounts, possibly useful even if a different TV is purchased (it can be difficult to locate a source of flat-TV mounts suitable for an RV).

A better bedroom TV can be bought for less than FR charges, though do-it-yourself is required to install. If bedroom TV specs is not critical and/or the RV owner must pay for someone to install it, the package TV from FR is easier and might be acceptable.

I don't know if the front TV can be omitted to buy a better one. FR said it just upgraded the 280DS to a 32" TV, not obvious because it is standard equipment, not an option. The risk with omitting the front TV is if FR also would omit the crank-up antenna and/or in-ceiling/wall cabling.

Full-body paint can add about 10% to the cost of the coach, and being dark it can make the interior warmer. Some say it looks better for more years, but since a coach can be repainted, it's mostly a matter of taste vs. budget. FR is just releasing new Georgetown full body paint schemes and styles.

Ordering Full-body paint requires also accepting the power awning, which some do not like because it can't be adjusted to deal with different sunshine angles. My experience with a prior 39' DP is that I was only sitting outside morning and evening, otherwise I was out and about. But the power awning was only useful for mid-day sun. So I never used it. Therefore, why pay more than necessary?

Too bad the A/C doesn't have a heat pump mode, so I'd get heat strips as better than nothing, and way better than burning propane.

Dual pane windows insulate sound and heat, very desirable, but they can fail over time, developing seal leaks that fog the glass, expensive to repair. Tough decision.

I agree that side cameras aren't needed for normal driving, lane changing, turning -- I see what I need to in mirrors. But... For slow movement and backing in tight campgrounds and parking lots, cameras can provide a view that is difficult or impossible to get with the mirrors without climbing out of the driver's seat -- posts and pipes and rocks and trees that must be missed, sometimes by inches.

The rear camera is useful, but understand it is not a road-behind view, it is a coach back-side view. The camera normally points almost straight down, to see the coach rear and whatever is just behind it (including the front of a towed vehicle). This helps backing, and monitoring the towed. Some owners eventually add a second camera pointed back down the highway to function as a rear-view-mirror.

In some models, adding Arctic Pack also adds an enclosed water compartment, otherwise it's just a drain pipe and valves behind the door, no compartment. I want a compartment to add a Sani-Con macerator, which I got used to (and love) with my prior coach.

However, to make Sani-Con installation easier I will be asking FR to route the sewer pipe differently to terminate inside the compartment instead of have it poke out the bottom (oddly ignorning that there's a compartment); FR promises to comply with the special request. I think my request should be standard design when there's a compartment, the same as Winnebago, Fleetwood and DPs already do -- it's actually less work/cost for FR and more useful to the owner to have the sewer pipe remain in the compartment so the hose is easier to connect, and even can remain connected (as is standard with Sani-Con).
I see no reason why you can't get an HD picture through RG6 coax. I know for a fact I get an HD picture through coax from my antenna to my 42" Samsung HD TV and it runs the length of my coach to the TV. What would be the difference than running from a receiver back to the bedroom? It may not be as good as thru an HDMI cable, but it is HD and much better than annalog. I do have an HDMI cable running from my surround sound DVD player to the TV and It has a little better picture than using audio/video RCA jacks but not all that much. This is all on my Big Horn fifthwheel, we don't pick up our new Georgetown till Monday, but I know the 20011's still use the same switch setup so I expect it to be the same as NWJeep's since they'd have to be using A/V RCA jacks. That stuff is all still standard, but the BR TV is extra.
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:23 AM   #18

We have a 2011 Georgetown with bunks
There are two seatbelts in the dinette (forward facing) and
two seatbelts in the couch (one at either end not one in the middle. For a total of 6 seatbelts (add driver and passenger seats). I would also like more. I would add 2 rear facing in the dinette There are already attachment points under the couch for adding a third set of seat belts there. The problem we have with the belts is that they do not adjust small enough for the car seats. Additionally they loosen while being used to the point where every 1/2 hour or so I have to unhook and readjust them. I'm looking to replace the existing ones as well as add more seating positions.

The problem with the seatbelts on the couch is that in order to get it adjusted to hold a car seat (or smaller person) you have to get underneath the couch. This means to remove that seat (say if you wanted to use the couch as a bed) you'd have to similarly remove the front panel and crawl underneath to get the seat belt unhooked. So what ends up happening is that car seat lives on the couch hooked in place and we have not used the fold out couch.

The bunk beds have been working out great for the children. I added some slide under the mattress type child safety gate/rails to keep them from rolling out. One THUNK in the middle of the night made it clear it was necessary. The benefit has been that "stuff" is also held in place while moving.

What would we like different? The outlet for the kitchen area is in front of the sink. Weird location. I think I am going to add one in the corner on the underside of the cabinet. Right now to use the coffee maker you have to move the coffee maker to the fold out shelf or use an extension cord to get to the outlet.

Someone else mentioned additional outlets in the bedroom, but the one that's back there seems to be in a good location for us. I have my printer sitting on that bedside table and the little raised area between the bed and the back window is convenient for the laptop as well.

Incidently I think the model with the bunk slide outs has the most amount of storage underneath of any of the models we saw. The caution there is you could probably bring too much stuff!

I would not want the barrel chair. Seems like a waste of space to me. Oh the couch and the driver / passenger chairs are made from some weird plastic stuff called "new leather". I would much rather have been able to get real leather which would be more durable.

I would not want the electric seat adjustments. Two reasons - first something more complicated to break and secondly the weight. I rarely touch the seat adjustments in my car so I guess I don't see the need. The seats in the Georgetown are not Recarro. They are squishy.

We have the double pane windows and I can tell a big difference. I did a lot of baking this past weekend and it was cold outside. The front windshield was fogged but not the other windows. If you plan to use the unit when it's particularly hot or cold I'd go with the double pane windows.

We have the side and rear cameras. They work well and the images are surprisingly clear. Since getting a camera for my mini-van it's something I wouldn't be without. I also like how much you can hear - instructions from the "outside person" are crystal clear if they are standing behind the unit.

We have the Artic Pack. The instructions say the thermostat turns them on when the outside temp is 45 F.

I picked up a ceramic type heater with a fan and we used it for the first time this past weekend. We were at a 15 amp powered site. We didn't neet to use the propane heater at all. It fits neatly under the dinette seat when not in use.

I'm sewing covers for the dinette cushions, bunk cushions, bunk safety rails, couch and driver/passenger seats simply for the ease of being able to toss the covers into the washer. I'm also sewing a shoe caddy (pockets) to hang on the back of the dinette in the stairwell because shoes are driving me crazy.

I wish the unit had more table space. I wish the shower was the tub shower combination (because that's what you need with three munchkins who have rolled in the mud even after you have hosed them off outside).

The most surprising thing to me driving the unit is how tight the turning radius is. You do have to watch the swing - the back end of the unit behind the tires but even so it's not too bad parallel parking this critter.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 02:01 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo45 View Post
According to the MSRP that is on the RVDirect website the 19" BR TV is a $455 option not $710.50. I don't know where you got that figure unless your dealer made up his own MSRP, something they are not above doing. If you ask RVdirect for a quote you will find out that FR charges the dealer $325 for that TV which is not that far out of line. We want a larger TV than that in the BR, so i've got figure out how to get that one out and put in a 25" we already have. As far as the sewer connection, I think you could saw off the sewer pipe inside the compartment and glue a new connection on the pipe. After all its just black PVC just like the use in a house.
I'm not going to argue the matter. I have no idea, nor do I really care, what RV Direct pays FR for the Jensen TV. I could be $325 and it could be $0 . I have the MSRP (invoice) sheet made out to Paradise RV in Red Deer Alberta from Forest River for the Georgetown I purchased. It lists the optional bedroom TV charge as $710.50. Could this dealer get FR to produce a phony MSRP/ invoice sheet just so they could mislead the customer? I suppose so but what is in it for FR other than a PO'd customer once they found out. Could the dealer, we bought from, use some creative copying techniques and reproduce a phony invoice or MSRP sheet? Of course they could. Would they? Who knows but you certainly think you know and that I am making this stuff up. Think what you wish. It is your prerogative to believe the word of your fellow forum members or call them out on it.
Lloyd
Old 09-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #20
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Thanks cfsoistman for the picture. The chair looks better than I expected except I can't tell from the picture if it is leather or fabric. I really need about 8 seat belts and with the barrel chair I think that makes 7. I will have to try to add one more to the dinette which I believe has only 1 belt. I wonder if I could order the rig with extra belts directly from FR.

Mike
Our chair is fabric, but it probably is available in leather if you're interested. As for seat belts at the dinette, ours doesn't have any. We have a total of 6, driver's seat, passenger's seat, barrel chair and 3 on the sofa. There is a sticker placed at the dinette stating no one to be seated while traveling. I can only assume that's because there are no seat belts. As for whether or not they can be added, check with FR. The seats are secure so adding the belts to at least the seat facing forward shouldn't be an issue.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
options 350ts georgetown