Old 09-08-2010, 11:44 AM   #21

Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst2 View Post
I'm not going to argue the matter. I have no idea, nor do I really care, what RV Direct pays FR for the Jensen TV. I could be $325 and it could be $0 . I have the MSRP (invoice) sheet made out to Paradise RV in Red Deer Alberta from Forest River for the Georgetown I purchased. It lists the optional bedroom TV charge as $710.50. Could this dealer get FR to produce a phony MSRP/ invoice sheet just so they could mislead the customer? I suppose so but what is in it for FR other than a PO'd customer once they found out. Could the dealer, we bought from, use some creative copying techniques and reproduce a phony invoice or MSRP sheet? Of course they could. Would they? Who knows but you certainly think you know and that I am making this stuff up. Think what you wish. It is your prerogative to believe the word of your fellow forum members or call them out on it.
Lloyd
I was not questioning your integrity. I do not think you were lying only that you were mistaken by believing what you have in hand is the MSRP pricing. Not exactly the same thing, is it? Go to the RVdirect website and check out the Georgetown MSRP (RVdirect.com) pricing there and ask them for a quote you'll see what I mean as to what the dealer is paying for a unit. You may not care what the dealer is paying for a unit, but that is what controls what you will be paying for it. Because that is exactly what your dealer paid for it. When I made the deal with my dealer he had listed his own MSRP of $139,000 for a unit that had an actual MSRP of $129,000. He also made up his own prices on the options to come up with that figure. I called him out on it and he never challenged my figures. The only thing he wanted to know was where I got them. He also wanted copies, probably to complain to FR about it. I wouldn't give them to him even though I let him look at them. So, I know a dealer will do that. I don't believe FR had anything to do with it, they can't control what a dealer does. I was dealing with two other dealers when I got the RVdirect quote and after I got their figures both the other dealers matched their price after a little dickering. And, yes I think I know what your dealer did and what many other dealers do in order to make more money on the deal. Again, I am not questioning your integrity. I do believe you are mistaken.

nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by starburst2 View Post
Could this dealer get FR to produce a phony MSRP/ invoice sheet just so they could mislead the customer? I suppose so but what is in it for FR other than a PO'd customer once they found out. Could the dealer, we bought from, use some creative copying techniques and reproduce a phony invoice or MSRP sheet? Of course they could. Would they? Who knows but you certainly think you know and that I am making this stuff up. Think what you wish. It is your prerogative to believe the word of your fellow forum members or call them out on it.
Lloyd
Starburst, This is EXACTLY what many dealers do, they print their own MSRP sheets. Our local dealer tried to impart an MSRP price to the slide awnings, leveling system, DVD surround sound, compartment lights, etc etc, all items listed as "standard" by FR. The point Nemo was making is that they will show you an MSRP on an installed option of say $800 when they only pay FR $350 for that option. RVDirect shows you the MSRP that FR lists an option at and once you get your online quote you see what RVDs price is, and it isn't very much over what they pay. They don't ask the huge markups that most other dealers do. For us it was a complete eye opener and very surprising. It was also very telling of the games the local dealer was playing.

In this way dealers will show you an MSRP sheet (which is just a big lie in most cases) for example for our rig it was $149K, then offer to sell you the RV for a big discount at $135K, WOW (most people will say) they are gonna cut 14K off the price. What they don't want you to know is that they paid $102K for that rig. They just made a 33K profit on some unsuspecing buyer.

The MSRP sheet a dealer will show you ALWAYS means NOTHING!

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #23

I sent an email to FR asking about the possibility of having additional seatbelts installed at the time of manufacture. He passed on my email to a regional rep who "scolded" me for not dealing locally . I would love to deal locally and will gladly give my local dealer the opportunity to serve me but with the spread in cost I will be surprised. The rep has offered to get back to me tomorrow about the seat belts.

I am a strong supporter of the comments made by NWJeeper and nemo45.

Thanks again everyone for all the input the comments have given me some extra insight and information that can not be found anywhere else!

Mike
Old 09-21-2010, 12:51 AM   #24

I've been away for a few days but I have now followed Nemos advice about looking up the true MSRP via the RV Direct website. When I plug my options into the database they have and include delivery to Alberta and convert the cost to Canadian dollars the MSRP compares almost precicely to the "MSRP" that I got from the dealer. Therefore I have to believe that is a real to goodness Forest River MSRP. I am not privy to the actual dealer cost which must be the statement that Nemo is referring to. The dealer was asking $10,000 less than the MSRP and what we agreed on in the negotiations was even less yet so who knows what the dealer invoice is. It is not important. I am only making the point that the FR "MSRP" sheet that I have seems quite genuine. It does not appear to be just some propaganda sheet produced by the dealer. It was not on display in the coach but fell out of their file onto the desk when we were closing the deal. I ask for a copy and they gave me their original. I'm sorry guys but I believe you are incorrect in your assumptions on the validity of the dealers invoice that I was using to make my earlier point which has now become mute. I stand to be corrected but it is immaterial at this point.
Lloyd

Tags
options 350ts georgetown