Old 08-12-2012, 01:18 PM   #1

What chassis is a Georgetown?

I need some info or advice about steering stabilizers for a Georgetown xl 378. Before taking possession of the unit on order I asked the dealer to give me an estimate to install the Safe T plus stabilizers on the 378 the day before we drive it home. I mentioned that Camping world had the shocks # 41 140 (the red ones) for F 53 chassis for $450-500.
He comes back and tells me that the Georgetown IS NOT mounted on a F53 but on a F650 chassis because it has 22" wheels and will require the more expensive blue stabilizers.
Can anyone please tell me what chassis the current Georgetown is built on? When did they stop using the F53? Is it true that because it has 22000lb rated axles and 22" tires they have a F650 Ford chassis?
I think he is just trying to raise the price of the steering shocks and making up nonsense about the chassis. Had to tell from the Ford site but the F650 is associated with the larger wheels.
Help me before he burns me any more than he has already with my trade in. Thanks.

Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Alan JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan JS
I need some info or advice about steering stabilizers for a Georgetown xl 378. Before taking possession of the unit on order I asked the dealer to give me an estimate to install the Safe T plus stabilizers on the 378 the day before we drive it home. I mentioned that Camping world had the shocks # 41 140 (the red ones) for F 53 chassis for $450-500.
He comes back and tells me that the Georgetown IS NOT mounted on a F53 but on a F650 chassis because it has 22" wheels and will require the more expensive blue stabilizers.
Can anyone please tell me what chassis the current Georgetown is built on? When did they stop using the F53? Is it true that because it has 22000lb rated axles and 22" tires they have a F650 Ford chassis?
I think he is just trying to raise the price of the steering shocks and making up nonsense about the chassis. Had to tell from the Ford site but the F650 is associated with the larger wheels.
Help me before he burns me any more than he has already with my trade in. Thanks.
Very interesting, mine (GT 378) was delivered as a F-53 chassis however in the paper work with the vendors instructions I found a sticker for a F-550 chassis cab greatly lengthened for a M/H. Puzzled I called Ford F-53 division for info. The customer service rep. Took my Ford vin no. and told that was a F-53 vin and a few years back the 550 line also built MH's, but they were also sold as f-53. I gess the first clue is if it doesen't look like a dump truck, it's probably a F-53. Its rating is 22,000 and combination 26,000 on subject chassis.. These weights cannot be assigned on the 19.5" rims, thus the 22.5". All this info avail on Ford truck websites.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan JS
I'd take it to another dealer gor your stabs, even Camping World!
Old 08-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #4

Honestly why do you think you need these?

I would absolutely get the alignment done - but not at the rv dealer (save those new tires!) but why not drive it for a while and see what you think? I've got 35,000 miles on our Georgetown through mountains and quite windy conditions and getting steering stabilizers is not on my list at all. It drives like our Toyota minivan - just bigger.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #5

You know you are all correct and appreciated. Our first trip is on a relatively flat road across the Florida Everglades to the Gulf coast to Riverside RV resort for fishing and swimming. The flat road should allow me to know fairly soon if their is an alignment problem.
If I can't trust the dealer to tell me the model chassis then he shouldn't be given an additional jobs except for warranty work on the coach.

I might have Ford dealer do alignment if appropriate but let me see where a Camping World is located. They have decent prices on the Safe T plus stab and likely have installed a ton.
The Ford website had all models of F53 going through 22000lb and 22 " wheels so I wonder where he got his idea of a F6-- model.
Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012
Old 08-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #6

Don't wait on the alignment!! I drove mine almost 11,000 miles and didn't realize it needed one. No excessive tire wear, but I noticed it was hard to stay on track. An alignment verified it was toed out 11/16", causing it to "road walk" as my dad used to call it. Reset it to 3/16" toed in, what a difference. I don't feel as it needs anything else, much easier to drive.

I did move the front sway bar links to the other hole, I think it helped the rock and roll. Plan on moving the back ones soon.

Happy Trails, Forrest
2011 Georgetown 378TS
2011 Ford Escape V-6 4X4
fbconsults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Susan View Post
Honestly why do you think you need these?

I would absolutely get the alignment done - but not at the rv dealer (save those new tires!) but why not drive it for a while and see what you think? I've got 35,000 miles on our Georgetown through mountains and quite windy conditions and getting steering stabilizers is not on my list at all. It drives like our Toyota minivan - just bigger.
X2..!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:30 AM   #8

I wouldn't have the rv dealer do anything with the running gear / drivetrain. That's Ford stuff. Take it to a Ford truck dealer or a truck place. The rv dealer is for the rv stuff - what is inside the box.

I agree with fbconsults - you will not be able to tell if the alignment is off - and frankly if the unit is wandering and hard to handle on the road you describe there is LOTS more wrong. It should be a piece of cake. Really. Get the alignment done as your first step. Forget about stabilizers. It works well the way it was made. On a trip this past year the rig was rocking and rolling a bit more than usual. Road surface can do this and yes it was a 2 lane older road with lots of patches. Come to find out the wind was 45mph gusting regularly to 70mph. And yes at 70mph the antenna makes a thumping sound against the roof.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
Anacortesians

My GT handles like I'd expect an 11-ton 32-ft box truck to handle, since that's really what it is. We bought it when it was 8 years old, from the original owners. It still had the '01 chassis build date tires on it.

When we replaced the tires, I had an alignment done. Frankly, I'd rather spend my recreation money on gas and campgrounds, rather than on suspension and steering mods. It will never ride like a Rolls Royce no matter what.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:52 PM   #10

I gathered I should concentrate on being sure the tires are adequately inflated and that the front end is properly aligned . Only then should I go chasing fancy stabilizers and springs.
The last person I should be asking for advice is the dealer as "of course you need expensive steering stabs" would be his predicted reply.

Not having much driving experience on maneuvering a big box in the wind is scarey enough and I wanted some help.
The Ford web site seemed to indicate that the F53 chassis has multiple configurations based on wheelbase and axle weight.

Jayco Greyhawk 31ds 2012