Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2018, 09:32 AM   #1

What is that noise?!?!?

Hi All,
I’m hoping someone may have had a similar situation and know the source of the noise.
I have a 2014 Georgetown 351 DS with the additional bed over the driver’s area.
I’m getting a sharp high pitches chirping noise that seems to be coming from the corner of the RV right above the driver. This only happens occasionally while driving. I’ve pushed against the windows and the cabinets but none of those seem to be the cause. Anyone had something similar?
Thanks!
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:04 AM   #2

I have a 2017 364 ts with fans in the windows and the one over driver seat vibrates and chirps
Dennis King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #3

Got a GT378 and the identical chirp and yes, very intermittent. It's not the fan and I've had the roller shade down twice to try and isolate it to no avail. I've pushed, tugged and tapped on everything in the cockpit. Your right, it is annoying when it happens.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:27 AM   #4

Just noticed it yesterday on my 335DS. Let's hope somebody finds it.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #5
Steelhorzz

Just a thought.... has anyone removed all the "detectors" and listened to them? When my batteries begin to run low they "chirp" intermittently, and not regularly. Annoying and wasn't obvious the first time.
Blue Ox Tow System / U.S. Gear Unified Tow Brake
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorzz View Post
Just a thought.... has anyone removed all the "detectors" and listened to them? When my batteries begin to run low they "chirp" intermittently, and not regularly. Annoying and wasn't obvious the first time.
it's not the smoke detector. To me it's almost like metal rubbing metal, sort of.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:18 PM   #7

i had a churp also. it turned out to be my cell phone with low battery.
jrowe0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 01:36 PM   #8

I have a 377. If you have the power shade like mine, it may be the cause. I had some success by stuffing a piece of foam pipe insulation up behind the center bracket while we’re going down the road. Th weight of the long shade causes it to flex with the bumps and squeak at the center bracket.
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #9

Going to reach out a bit on this one. Thinking about the traditional crank up antennae being square hollow tubes. If the plastic or rubber boots are missing, could this have a coke bottle whistle effect?
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:41 PM   #10

We had this annoying noise for a while on our Forester MBS 2401. Mechanic at Camping World in Garner, NC found that the screws securing the cap assembly were not tight. Either not enough of them were used and/or not installed correctly. He added screws and the chirping noise went away.
CarolinaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBlue View Post
We had this annoying noise for a while on our Forester MBS 2401. Mechanic at Camping World in Garner, NC found that the screws securing the cap assembly were not tight. Either not enough of them were used and/or not installed correctly. He added screws and the chirping noise went away.
Hope this is not it. Our cap assembly is the whole front end of our class A.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #12

I have a 30' 2017 FR3.. I had a similar (?) noise coming from the passenger side when i was doing 55-60 mph.. it sounded to me like the spring inside a shade roller vibrating .. my DW said it sounded like wind noise but couldn't locate it coming from window... after much frustration we finally gracked it down to the outside moulding around the window track.. there are slots in the bottom of the track that allow water to drain out.. I taped over the front slot and the noise disappeared !..apparently the wind flowing over the slot caused a harmonic noise... the remaining slots provide for enough drainage..I don't know if this is the same noise you're experiencing or if the moulding is similar, but it's worth looking in to ..
BILL49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:17 PM   #13

Hi @bill49, did the sound happen consistently At specific speeds? Mine very much sounds like metal on metal as @bubbles describes. I’m liking &FroggyRon’s situation but my sound is clearly in that top left corner. @froggyRon, where did it sound like your squeaking was coming from?
EricNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:26 PM   #14

Do you guys have beds in this overhead??? metal rubbing noise? heard about this in a different thread.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:30 PM   #15

Hy Eric..
From the driver's seat, it sounded to me like the noise was coming from the passenger side shade roller.. like I said, it sounded like the spring inside the roller was loose and vibrating against the roller tube (as it would be with the shade in the up position).. from my DW's perspective in the passenger seat, she said it sounded more like a wind noise against a leaking window.. we finally tracked it down to the drain slot in the bottom outside window channel... It seemed to only happen we reached a speed of 55-65 mph...If you have th same type window drain slots, it would be easy to check by simply putting a layer of black electrical tape over the slot ( the front most slot in my case) and see if the noise goes away ...Good Luck !
Old 01-03-2018, 12:01 AM   #16

Cavie...
We do have a bunk over the front seats.. service thought that was the problem and said they reset the latches, but the noise still persisted until I found the drainage slot as the culprit...
Old 01-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #17

EricNJ, The location of the squeak was hard to determine going down the road. It sometimes sounded like it was coming from the left and sometimes from behind me. My wife thought it was coming from center front and she was right. It you grab the rolled up shade and jiggle it up and down, you can definitely hear it if that’s the problem.
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #18

We have the same model and year 2014 351ds. DW and I had the same metal chirping squeak sounds. When driving sounds like came from passenger side. After much looking we figured out it was the latch and deadbolt assembly on entry door. I used some lithium grease on any parts I saw that could rub metal against metal. It stopped chirping and squeaking. Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:59 PM   #19
Senior Veteran RV Owner

I too have this chirping noise, mostly at slower speeds. I get up to highway speed and it mostly goes away. Chirping is very apparent on rough road surfaces. I thought it was coming from under the engine cover! But after reading the comments above, maybe I need to check a couple other things first. I am single, so I drive my coach alone most of the time. I don’t have a co-pilot to track the noise down while driving down the road.

Tags
noise