Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #1
NXR

What model and capacity house batteries are in a late model GT5?

Of course, if there is a label the two batteries are installed so that the labels face themselves.

And also of course, the battery cables run directly across the rectangles you need to pry out to add water, assuming they are lead acid. <sigh>

I got a dealer quote for Harris AGM24 sealed batteries. This is the closest I've found on the Harris site: EV24A-A | Harris Battery | Commercial - Industrial Battery Supplier and http://www.harrisbattery.com/sites/d.../EV24A-A_0.pdf

And of course I'd rather be certain than just trust them.

Thanks,

Ray
NXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #2

Funny question.
The capacity of the batteries relate to the charger you have that charges them when camping.
Take a look and find it and it should be a 60 amp or 70 amps.
The batteries should be sized to the charger and if you get too high a capacity batteries you won't get them charged backup quickly.

I use the largest 12 volt battery at Wal-Mart that fits my space.
I think they are 875 Cold cranking amps and last about 4 to 5 years and cost me about $100 x 2 which is a lot cheaper than your AGM batteries which may also die in 4 to 5 years.
Save your cash and go to Wal-Mart.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #3

They are standard lead acid batteries. Supposed to be equivalent to the T-105 from what I was told. I believe they are made by worldwide and have no labels.

Sorry I don't have any more info.
TominVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:04 PM   #4
NXR

Thanks for the quick replies. By "capacity" I was ultimately referring to the number of amps discharge per hours of time. In other words, before they die on me, I'm trying to figure out how long I can reasonably expect them to last. If I knew what they were I could just look up the specs. Some people say they can go multiple days but they usually have four house batteries.

I've got a lot of electrical/electronic experience from my work on corporate jets where I maintained the batteries and other systems but those were almost all ni-cads in my time.

For example, for the AGM link I supplied it's supposed to be able to supply 56 amps for 57 minutes, 25 amps for 155 minutes, etc. So if I'm pulling 20 amps I could expect one battery to last three hours or two batteries could last for close to six hours depending on the imbalance between them. Yet another reason I wish it had four house batteries but whatever. (I know someone who left their GT5 inverter switch turned on overnight by accident and the next day the batteries were dead.)

I know the auto-generator start could keep them from going dead as long as it's not needed during quiet hours. I just don't like surprises, especially bad ones.

The T-105's are 6V while I think these are 12 V but I didn't look that close. Maybe these are the 12V equivalent of a T-105 then.

Ray
Old 06-01-2019, 11:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. By "capacity" I was ultimately referring to the number of amps discharge per hours of time. In other words, before they die on me, I'm trying to figure out how long I can reasonably expect them to last. If I knew what they were I could just look up the specs. Some people say they can go multiple days but they usually have four house batteries.

I've got a lot of electrical/electronic experience from my work on corporate jets where I maintained the batteries and other systems but those were almost all ni-cads in my time.

For example, for the AGM link I supplied it's supposed to be able to supply 56 amps for 57 minutes, 25 amps for 155 minutes, etc. So if I'm pulling 20 amps I could expect one battery to last three hours or two batteries could last for close to six hours depending on the imbalance between them. Yet another reason I wish it had four house batteries but whatever. (I know someone who left their GT5 inverter switch turned on overnight by accident and the next day the batteries were dead.)

I know the auto-generator start could keep them from going dead as long as it's not needed during quiet hours. I just don't like surprises, especially bad ones.

The T-105's are 6V while I think these are 12 V but I didn't look that close. Maybe these are the 12V equivalent of a T-105 then.

Ray
I knew what you meant and I stand corrected, they are 12 volt batteries. I was told that Fr gets them from Worldwide Batteries out of Indianapolis. As I said, there are no labels but there are 6 caps per battery. I sent an email to a contact at FR. I'll let you know what they say. As to the inverter, yeah, it'll drain them pretty fast. Boondocking, I turned the inverter off and they lasted the night for what that's worth... but I haven't tested them beyond the heater.
TominVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #6

This may be an over-simplification, but traditionally when judging the capacity of lead acid storage batteries, WEIGHT will be a great rule of thumb. To have more capacity, a lead acid (FLA) battery must have more plates, that requires more lead and of course, more acid. Other than that, choose the largest battery size that will fit the allocated space.

Most OEM house batteries are Group 24, and a Group 27 will generally fit nicely. Sometimes a Group 31 can be installed, but not usually...or if you have the room for two Group 27s, you probably have room for two GC2 golf cart batteries, hooked in series for 12 volts. I have used this combination in all but the first RV I owned (1970ish) and have been well satisfied. By last fifth wheel had the room and I installed two pair of them. They seem to play well with deep discharge too. (By my own rule of thumb, below 11.5 volts under load is "dead" but the golf cart batteries come back well from around 5 volts each, which is typical in actual golf carts)
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #7
NXR

Thanks. So noticeably longer life than the plain old lead-acids that were previously installed? (If I understand what you did)

Ray

Tags
batteries