Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 166
What sequence do you use?

What steps do you take to set up your GT at the camp site?

Level first and then shore power? Anyone want to share your setup sequence? On the road now for our first trip in the new GT! Want to make sure we're doing it right.
__________________

__________________
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rotorhead1250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 277
Dang, its been a looooong week, what is GT? (great trailer, grand trailer, something trailer????)
__________________

__________________
Matt & Kathie
2017 Grey Wolf 27RR
rotorhead1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
They are GT and XL Georgetowns Motorhomes. No trailers here in this area

1. Park as level as possible.
2. Plug in Shroe Power. That way house batteries are helped by charger.
3. Engine running, Brake set. I turn on levellers control panel.
4. Select Auto and don't move around until center is is solid green. Turn off panel and engine
or
Manual by lowereing front and rear so they hit ground only
Use bubble level and adjust manually as needed.
Shut off panel and engine.

5. Extend slides one at a time and delay between so not to heat up pump motor.
6. Go outside and hook up all the rest and leave the DW inside to do her stuff.
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead1250 View Post
Dang, its been a looooong week, what is GT? (great trailer, grand trailer, something trailer????)
Lol! I was just trying to be hip like others on here and abbreviate Georgetown with GT. Or thought they were!
__________________
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
They are GT and XL Georgetowns Motorhomes. No trailers here in this area

1. Park as level as possible.
2. Plug in Shroe Power. That way house batteries are helped by charger.
3. Engine running, Brake set. I turn on levellers control panel.
4. Select Auto and don't move around until center is is solid green. Turn off panel and engine
or
Manual by lowereing front and rear so they hit ground only
Use bubble level and adjust manually as needed.
Shut off panel and engine.

5. Extend slides one at a time and delay between so not to heat up pump motor.
6. Go outside and hook up all the rest and leave the DW inside to do her stuff.
Thank you! I was wondering about when to plug in shore power, before or after leveling. I like the sequence. Thank you!
__________________
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ottawa, On
Posts: 56
Thumbs up

I like that setup system Iggy, thanks

... one thing to consider, if you never load test your batteries you may not know how they will perform when needed.
I work in power plant were we have several battery backup systems, a couple of them include the same type of wet-cell batteries with the same technology as our house batteries.
I,ve found that over time, having the charger keep them topped up, they may show good voltage ( which is what our test button reads) but you could have one or several weak batteries and not know it until it's needed.
Anyway, we do testing, monitoring and the odd load test on our battery banks here at work & it has proven to be a good maintenance practice.
So whenever I get the chance I give the house batteries a bit of a run, I don't run them down to zero volts cause that's not healthy for them, but just make sure they will be there when I need them.
So going back to the setup system Iggy posted, at least once in a while give them a run by not plugging in before using your levelers and slides....Oh and be sure to check the water levels in the batteries as well & wipe them down once in a while too

Just my 2cents,

Tim
__________________
Our first motor home
GaeTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaeTim View Post
I like that setup system Iggy, thanks

... one thing to consider, if you never load test your batteries you may not know how they will perform when needed.
I work in power plant were we have several battery backup systems, a couple of them include the same type of wet-cell batteries with the same technology as our house batteries.
I,ve found that over time, having the charger keep them topped up, they may show good voltage ( which is what our test button reads) but you could have one or several weak batteries and not know it until it's needed.
Anyway, we do testing, monitoring and the odd load test on our battery banks here at work & it has proven to be a good maintenance practice.
So whenever I get the chance I give the house batteries a bit of a run, I don't run them down to zero volts cause that's not healthy for them, but just make sure they will be there when I need them.
So going back to the setup system Iggy posted, at least once in a while give them a run by not plugging in before using your levelers and slides....Oh and be sure to check the water levels in the batteries as well & wipe them down once in a while too

Just my 2cents,

Tim

Tim you are 100% right on about batteries.
The reason I started plugging in power to insure my batteries are 100% is because many people have used the hydralic pump with weak battereis and the pump pulls many anps which draws down the voltage.
This is a major issue with these hyralics DC pump motors. High amperage and low voltage prematurely make them fail early.
That is why I do this just when I setup.

Yes exercising batteries are good for the batteries.
That is why FR had installed Iteligent chargers which actually load up the battery at times to a low voltage and recharges them.
Nice little toy if I may say so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Pics 010.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	36250  
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ottawa, On
Posts: 56
Smile

Good to know Iggy, I hadn't had the chance to look over the system yet so I'll have to check it out when we're gone next weekend.
I haven't seen this unit, is it in the back compartment? It must be covered...this RV is full of surprises!

Tim
__________________
Our first motor home
GaeTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Iggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Desert SW - Arizona
Posts: 6,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaeTim View Post
Good to know Iggy, I hadn't had the chance to look over the system yet so I'll have to check it out when we're gone next weekend.
I haven't seen this unit, is it in the back compartment? It must be covered...this RV is full of surprises!

Tim
You may not have it. Mine is located in the drivers side rear where the power cable hooks up. Right hand side and up in compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April_17_2012 010.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	36266  
__________________
2012 Georgetown XL - 378TS 60,000 miles
Life is a journey, not a destination !

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #10
Anacortesians
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Anacortes, WA
Posts: 1,167
If you put the slides out before you hook up, I'll guarantee you'll bang your head on one. The corners are particularly unpleasant.

Our procedure (02 GT 325) is to level on the jacks, then hook up power, water (and sewer if we have a hook up). then we put the slides out. If the level were to change (it hasn't in three seasons), I'd tweak the levelling jack settings.

The first season, we'd put the slide out first, but after an inordinate number of minor head injuries, I changed to the above procedure. When we're "de-camping" the slides go in before I start unhooking the services.
__________________

__________________
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.