Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #1

What sequence do you use?

What steps do you take to set up your GT at the camp site?

Level first and then shore power? Anyone want to share your setup sequence? On the road now for our first trip in the new GT! Want to make sure we're doing it right.
Lvnlife1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #2

Dang, its been a looooong week, what is GT? (great trailer, grand trailer, something trailer????)
Old 07-26-2013, 04:08 PM   #3

They are GT and XL Georgetowns Motorhomes. No trailers here in this area

1. Park as level as possible.
2. Plug in Shroe Power. That way house batteries are helped by charger.
3. Engine running, Brake set. I turn on levellers control panel.
4. Select Auto and don't move around until center is is solid green. Turn off panel and engine
or
Manual by lowereing front and rear so they hit ground only
Use bubble level and adjust manually as needed.
Shut off panel and engine.

5. Extend slides one at a time and delay between so not to heat up pump motor.
6. Go outside and hook up all the rest and leave the DW inside to do her stuff.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead1250 View Post
Dang, its been a looooong week, what is GT? (great trailer, grand trailer, something trailer????)
Lol! I was just trying to be hip like others on here and abbreviate Georgetown with GT. Or thought they were!
Old 07-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
They are GT and XL Georgetowns Motorhomes. No trailers here in this area

1. Park as level as possible.
2. Plug in Shroe Power. That way house batteries are helped by charger.
3. Engine running, Brake set. I turn on levellers control panel.
4. Select Auto and don't move around until center is is solid green. Turn off panel and engine
or
Manual by lowereing front and rear so they hit ground only
Use bubble level and adjust manually as needed.
Shut off panel and engine.

5. Extend slides one at a time and delay between so not to heat up pump motor.
6. Go outside and hook up all the rest and leave the DW inside to do her stuff.
Thank you! I was wondering about when to plug in shore power, before or after leveling. I like the sequence. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #6

Thumbs up

I like that setup system Iggy, thanks

... one thing to consider, if you never load test your batteries you may not know how they will perform when needed.
I work in power plant were we have several battery backup systems, a couple of them include the same type of wet-cell batteries with the same technology as our house batteries.
I,ve found that over time, having the charger keep them topped up, they may show good voltage ( which is what our test button reads) but you could have one or several weak batteries and not know it until it's needed.
Anyway, we do testing, monitoring and the odd load test on our battery banks here at work & it has proven to be a good maintenance practice.
So whenever I get the chance I give the house batteries a bit of a run, I don't run them down to zero volts cause that's not healthy for them, but just make sure they will be there when I need them.
So going back to the setup system Iggy posted, at least once in a while give them a run by not plugging in before using your levelers and slides....Oh and be sure to check the water levels in the batteries as well & wipe them down once in a while too

Just my 2cents,

Tim
Old 07-26-2013, 06:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaeTim View Post
I like that setup system Iggy, thanks

... one thing to consider, if you never load test your batteries you may not know how they will perform when needed.
I work in power plant were we have several battery backup systems, a couple of them include the same type of wet-cell batteries with the same technology as our house batteries.
I,ve found that over time, having the charger keep them topped up, they may show good voltage ( which is what our test button reads) but you could have one or several weak batteries and not know it until it's needed.
Anyway, we do testing, monitoring and the odd load test on our battery banks here at work & it has proven to be a good maintenance practice.
So whenever I get the chance I give the house batteries a bit of a run, I don't run them down to zero volts cause that's not healthy for them, but just make sure they will be there when I need them.
So going back to the setup system Iggy posted, at least once in a while give them a run by not plugging in before using your levelers and slides....Oh and be sure to check the water levels in the batteries as well & wipe them down once in a while too

Just my 2cents,

Tim

Tim you are 100% right on about batteries.
The reason I started plugging in power to insure my batteries are 100% is because many people have used the hydralic pump with weak battereis and the pump pulls many anps which draws down the voltage.
This is a major issue with these hyralics DC pump motors. High amperage and low voltage prematurely make them fail early.
That is why I do this just when I setup.

Yes exercising batteries are good for the batteries.
That is why FR had installed Iteligent chargers which actually load up the battery at times to a low voltage and recharges them.
Nice little toy if I may say so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Pics 010.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	36250  
Old 07-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #8

Smile

Good to know Iggy, I hadn't had the chance to look over the system yet so I'll have to check it out when we're gone next weekend.
I haven't seen this unit, is it in the back compartment? It must be covered...this RV is full of surprises!

Tim
Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Good to know Iggy, I hadn't had the chance to look over the system yet so I'll have to check it out when we're gone next weekend.
I haven't seen this unit, is it in the back compartment? It must be covered...this RV is full of surprises!

Tim
You may not have it. Mine is located in the drivers side rear where the power cable hooks up. Right hand side and up in compartment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	April_17_2012 010.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	36266  
Old 07-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #10
Anacortesians

If you put the slides out before you hook up, I'll guarantee you'll bang your head on one. The corners are particularly unpleasant.

Our procedure (02 GT 325) is to level on the jacks, then hook up power, water (and sewer if we have a hook up). then we put the slides out. If the level were to change (it hasn't in three seasons), I'd tweak the levelling jack settings.

The first season, we'd put the slide out first, but after an inordinate number of minor head injuries, I changed to the above procedure. When we're "de-camping" the slides go in before I start unhooking the services.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
If you put the slides out before you hook up, I'll guarantee you'll bang your head on one. The corners are particularly unpleasant.

Our procedure (02 GT 325) is to level on the jacks, then hook up power, water (and sewer if we have a hook up). then we put the slides out. If the level were to change (it hasn't in three seasons), I'd tweak the levelling jack settings.

The first season, we'd put the slide out first, but after an inordinate number of minor head injuries, I changed to the above procedure. When we're "de-camping" the slides go in before I start unhooking the services.
X2, and for the same reasons!
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:14 PM   #12

Yep,
1. electric
2. water
3. sewer
4. level
5. slides out

Then just the reverse when breaking camp.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #13

LOL...I've come close to doing that myself but with me it's the dining room or living room cause I'm always tinkering with something and therefore looking for tools and stuff in the compartments...

Iggy, I'm going to look but I don't think I have that unit, did you order it extra with your RV?

Tim
Old 07-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #14

Quote:
LOL...I've come close to doing that myself but with me it's the dining room or living room cause I'm always tinkering with something and therefore looking for tools and stuff in the compartments...

Iggy, I'm going to look but I don't think I have that unit, did you order it extra with your RV?

Tim

I have the Georgetown XL which has a few more bells and whistles.
This charges the batteries and actually when plugged in for awhile it will load up the batteries down a few volts then high charge. The label calles it decalification of the plates which I think makes the batteries last longer.
Maybe someone else who may know more but it works so far for me.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:53 AM   #15

I may be wrong here but I believe that with the engine running, which is part of the procedure for the levellers deployment, the coach batteries may not even have to be connected. I'm thinking the reason for engine running is so the alternator can supply, or at least supplement the required power for the levellers. I pull into spot and level unit and then shut down, make all external hookups, including shore power and then deploy slides. Don't think connecting to shore power before levelling gains anything. Oh well..
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
Anacortesians

I level on battery power without running the engine, which is necessary, because there's an automatic "emergency retract all jacks" when the ignition is switched on.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
I level on battery power without running the engine, which is necessary, because there's an automatic "emergency retract all jacks" when the ignition is switched on.
That is on your 2002 model.
We are talking more recent models
Old 08-01-2013, 11:26 PM   #18
Happy Member

I have the unit that Iggy is talking about to charge my batteries. But I have one question...So when we are back at home you suggest to keep GT pluged in to the house power and batteries s/b OK?.

Also what is the water level for the batts, I just checked them and they're about an 1in below the top...is there a measure mark on the them?

I guess that was 2 questions.....and yes we also call our MH, GT for shorts....
2013 FR GT 351DFS
GT4six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #19

1. Find exactly where I want the rig parked.
2. Set parking brake, leave motor running.
3. Level, using manual, check with level in kitchen counter and bath door swing.
Shut down engine.
4. Hook up electric, water, sewer.
5. Remove what ever we need from basement storage compartments, before
opening slides to prevent head bumps.
6. And lastly...open slides.
Kirby the Old Dog, passed but still in our hearts
Max E. Dog, the new pup
Eureka the Old Cat, still hangin' on
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
2012 Georgetown 378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostdog View Post
1. Find exactly where I want the rig parked.
2. Set parking brake, leave motor running.
3. Level, using manual, check with level in kitchen counter and bath door swing.
Shut down engine.
4. Hook up electric, water, sewer.
5. Remove what ever we need from basement storage compartments, before
opening slides to prevent head bumps.
6. And lastly...open slides.

Agreed..exactly how we do it but I use the automatic mode on the leveler

Ray, Cynthia, Duncan and Bailey
2012 Georgetown 378
2006 HD Ultra
1992 Fat Boy
raycyn778 is offline   Reply With Quote