Old 10-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #41
You've had a lot of replies so I might have missed if somebody already supplied this info. Your dolly should have surge or built in brakes of some description so your limit on weight towed is the dolly capacity. You should also check your rv's towing capacity.

We tow a manual transmission Toyota Matrix wheels down. At 2,900 lbs, it's under the 3,000 lb max you can tow without supplemental brakes here in Ontario. This varies by province. Most are 3,000 + but a couple are not, so it's best to check. The maximum also varies in the U. S. by state.

Our Forest River Windsong barely notices the Matrix on behind so I haven't added a supp. braking system but might if doing a long trip in the States.

Jim Canuck
Jim Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #42
Thanks Jim, it seems that kinda happened here...
...Our Kar Kaddy ss has surge brakes and so far it tows like a dream. Actually I've been looking at a used FJ as I always liked them however I'd have to get a drive shaft disconnect or trans oil pump if I tow it on the dolly. We have the 378 and I believe the towing capacity is 5000lb so I'm within spec with the FJ.

I also made a deal with my dad who has a 2007 Yaris with 40,000km's, I'll be taking it over when he stops driving, he's almost 85 and not driving so much any more. That little car will be perfect.

Our first motor home
GaeTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #43
I am towing a Fiat 500. Is there a need to protect the front end from road debris, etc?? Towing behind a Forester 3011DS
DennyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #44
Retired US Army CW4
I am towing a Fiat 500. Is there a need to protect the front end from road debris, etc?? Towing behind a Forester 3011DS

I used to tow a BMW 325 and it sat low enough that I started getting all kinds of little pits and dings on the front end. I looked into one of the shields that's attached to the back of the motorhome and didn't care for the way it was attached or how it looked looked. I ended up putting a bra on it and it seemed to solve the problem. I tow a lifted Jeep now so it's no longer an issue.
2014 Georgetown 329DS
Towing a 2011 Jeep Wrangler JKU w/ReadyBrake
Yorkie guard dog on the dash
Tom and Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:52 PM   #45
Tom n kat, Iggy tows a Fiat 500 behind his 378. If he hasn't seen this, PM him with your questions.
2011 Georgetown 330TS
RAV4 on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:28 PM   #46
If you are flat towing, check into the protect-a-tow. Cheap and easy.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Forest River Forums mobile app
Brian & Amy Gregory
Becca (16), Bethie (13), Nate (9)
2013 Georgetown 351ds
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited Toad with ReadyBrute Elite
Networx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:44 PM   #47
I tow a Ford Focus and my tow dolly also has surge brakes. The Focus tows easily, is fairly roomy for its size and has a nice big trunk. For your tow capacity of 5000lbs be sure to include the weight of the dolly itself to the loaded weight of the tow vehicle.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #48
You guys talk about towing all the different brands of cars with and without tow dollies. There is one car out there that is made for flat towing with an auto trans. The car is the Honda CRV. I am on my 4th CRV, towed them all , never pulled a fuze, and never had a dead battery. The CRV is so ready for towing that it even comes with an extra set of taillight bulbs for hookup to the MH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	46027  
johnnypal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #49
I have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Which is a very tow friendly vehicle and I installed a Stay-n-Play duo braking system which made it very easy. Just put the transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, and flip the braking system switch on and she is ready to tow. No keys left in the ignition and no fuses to pull. A plug and play harness for the factory brake lights was also easy to install.
I know folks who tow Honda CRVs and as johnnypal says it is also a very good toad that is easy to setup for towing.
Bubba & Chiquita + Two Vizslas (Barley and Sophie)
2008 Georgetown 315DS SE LTD
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar - SMI Stay-In-Play Duo
Do What You Like - Like What You Do!
Los Popes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:09 PM   #50
Send a message via AIM to dutch

That Honda CRV is that two drive, allwheel drive or four wheel drive?

2013 Georgetown XL 378
Toad 2012 Honda Civic
Dutch & Kathie & shitzue Buddy
US Air Force Retire SMS
dutch is offline   Reply With Quote