Old 07-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #11
I've read where KOA's have different levels for either overnight to resort sites.
We usually try to stay at state parks, with senior discounts it half price!
These days use caution, pack protection!
Safe travels....

rwatson908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #12
I will be transiting the Ohio Turnpike in late October enroute to returning my rig to the factory for some repairs. Has anyone stayed in the RV parking areas at their service plazas? I see they offer that service... wondering how they are.

As for being "cheap" - I tried booking a night at a campground but everything in the area closes for the season on 10/15 and I'll be passing through a couple weeks after that.

2016 Coachmen Pursuit 31BD
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport Toad
Nights camped in 2016: 19
pashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #13
Whatever campground I like along the way. I have a database of ones we like and ones we don't like. KOA and Good Sam Mong the tops. In some states, state parks are among the best. We have a King Dome on the roof and AT&T hot spot to use if campground doesn't have wifi.
Gary and Donna
2005 Cardinal 33TS-LX
Trail Air pin box
Center Point suspension
2005 F-350 6.0 psd CC SRW
PullRite Super 5th
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #14
For a quick over night we usually stay at a Walmart.. It usually costs us about $500 since we live out in the boonies so we fill the residential frig and freezer.. If they cut this off its their loss and will save me a bunch.. I guess its time to use Costco more.. We use to use truck stops but it is so noisy and we cant even put out a slide for fear of it being swept off the side of the MH.. Not worth the risk
364 Georgetown 2016
in Montana
RVnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #15
Over night "rest"

Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
In the last 5 years, my DW and I travel all over the US for photography. We put in over 150,000 miles on my Jeep Grand Cherokee and more than 40,000 miles on my full-size custom van. We have done many and many tent camping until now, we bought our dream home away from home and was planning to travel extensively on this baby.

That said, during transit between one destination to another, we often stay or should I say "rest" at the state's rest area without any issue. Now I have the RV, and I thought that I could do the same, but... it is a big "BUT", NOT ALL REST AREA ALLOWS OVERNIGHT RVs. Some may allow you to stay, but no more than 6 to 8 hours. Besides the rest area, there are also Walmart, and truck stops. I know that most (not all) Walmarts are welcome RVers if the city ordinance allows them to welcome RVers. But for the truck stops, would they welcome RVers too? if they do, most if not all of their space would be taken by the 18 wheelers already. If you squeeze in (assume that there is space for you), would that piss off the next trucker who will arrive later if you took their last space?

I know there are many of this discussion somewhere in this forum or elsewhere too, but none of them share much of what they did and where. So please don't hate comment me because I am doing this.

I would like to start the thread for everyone to share their experience with Walmart, Truck Stops, and Rest Area and any place that you would think that they welcome the RVers for resting along their transit between one destination to another, not for camping.

With your "hand-on" experience, I hope that I could organize and document the information that I could share with all RVers so that we could use as a baseline guide for the overnight stay. With that, I need the information of your experience such as the state or city that you travel through with good or bad experience of your overnight stay/rest.

Thanks in advance.
Have used rest areas for years; have yet to see anyone in parking area marking tires to limit stay as is done on street parking in town. Just don't put your slides out, set up grill and lawn chairs!

pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:23 PM   #16
We stay at campgrounds in our 5th wheel. We don't unhitch and do minimum hookups. Yes, its expensive, although we have seen a few parks offering special lower rates for transients, they're few and far between and difficult to find. There is a website that continuously updates a list of Walmarts, etc. that permit overnight RV parking. There's a small membership fee and members are expected to submit updates. You'll find it at if it's still in operation. We signed up when we set out on our RV adventure 6 years ago, but have yet to stay anywhere but a campground, so I haven't renewed our membership.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #17
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
We used to use truck stops but now have exclusively used Cracker Barrels. They have very large lots and almost all have RV parking and welcome RVs to stay overnight. Be dinner or breakfast from them. There are a lot more Cracker Barrels than Walmarts and they are always right at the intersection of interstates, unlike Walmarts who don't really cater to transients.
Not to be argumentative... there are 6200 Walmarts in the US and only 630 Cracker Barrels in the lower 48.
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 44
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:10 PM   #18
We typically plan to find a Walmart when we know it will take us more than one day to travel. I typically call it quits when the sun goes down and I am never quite sure where we will be. If there are signs up, we will push on to the next town.

There is an app that I have a called rvovernight - it mainly lists Walmart's and Truck Stops...haven't had to use it but I have it just in case. We stayed on the north side of Waco a couple of weeks ago on our way to Dallas with no's always surprising to see who is parked by you when you get up the next day to pull out.
Mickey Alberto
2016 Forest River Georgetown XL 350TS
Ford V-10 (5-Star Tuned)
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #19
BamaGanza FROG Promoter
Cracker Barrels are very RV friendly
A lot of Shriner lodges have RV facilities and their modest charges go to the Shriner hospitals
I am also not averse to pulling in to a rest area and parking with the trucks but then again we have a Motorhome.

For the price of a good meal, I am thinking Cracker Barrel is your best bet
Bob & Anne-Marie [BamaBob & 6 Actual]
| 2017 Berkshire XLT 43A with Ultrasteer Tag | Blue Ox Avail + KarGard II |
| SMI AF-1 Air Brake | 2016 Jeep Cherokee Overland TOAD | Pedego Bikes |
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #20
Over night stops at Walmart

We will be leaving on our trip out west in a couple of weeks and became quite concerned about the postings about no longer being able to park overnight at Walmart. So I called the corporate office in Bentonville, Ar. I spoke with Marlene in the public relations dept. The young lady was very nice and informative. She stated that she was not aware of any letter and that they have to stay on top of public relations. In some cities and towns there are city/county ordinance that do not allow overnight parking whether it be an 18 wheeler or an RV. The parking is left up to the Manager of the store as the manager is aware of any ordinance. Always check with the store manager regarding RV overnight parking. Always be a good overnight guest..

reconn is offline   Reply With Quote