Old 04-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
Send a message via MSN to nemo45 Send a message via Yahoo to nemo45
Originally Posted by F and E Damp View Post
I guess we're lucky in that our generator is hadrwired to a transfer relay, unlike our previous MH. As soon as the generator is up to spped, the relay automatically shuts off the mains and transfers over to the generator.

I always have all AC loads off, except for a trouble light plugged into an AC socket, when I start the genny. That eliminates the risk of damage to the various appliances from transients.

I installed a SurgeGuard automatic transfer switch (50 Amp) with surge protection. Its made by TRC and is model 41260. It was $229.98 plus shipping at It works just as described.

Don & Carol Niemeyer and Sandy
2006 Gulf Stream Tour Master Diesel Pusher
2011 Chevy Equinox Toad
nemo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #12
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post

The electrical panel that cfsoistman is referring to is usually located just above floor level in the bedroom....maybe dark brown in colour?
OH GOSH! I remember the tech guy showing that to us now. I know DO know where it is.

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:27 AM   #13
Another use of breakers within..........

There's been a number of other discussions about using another breaker for the water heater when you want to utilize the electical heating element to heat water.

Forest River puts the switch for using propane to heat water in easy reach on the control panel inside the motorhome. You would typically use this when "boondocking" and not connected to electrity for your hot water needs.

The switch for using electricity to heat water is located in the outside access panel. This can be seen as being inconvenient for some to have to go outside to activate, as opposed to being located indoors. Also, if anyone was to activate this switch from the outside, and there was no water in your hot water tank for whatever reason, you could burn out the heating element costing $$$$. By leaving the outdoor switch in the "ON" position, you can control the electrical activation of the water heater by using the breaker in the electrical panel. This is a "poor man's way" to substitute for an ON/OFF switch inside the motorhome.

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote