Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2013, 08:04 AM   #1

Which Wax/Sealant To Use

Well Georgetown Buddies the season of fun in the sun, or the shade of the trees at a beautiful campground is just about here (of course speaking of Northern clime folks). I'm sure the question of what wax/sealant you use and your reasons why have been asked in the past. But, seeing it is a new season upon us I thought I would bring it up again. On my previous rig I used Nu-Finish to good success for the spring waxing. For touch ups and on the front area which is bug prone I would use Eagle spray wax and in a pinch spray furniture polish bought at the dollar store for a buck a can. Now that my GT is almost 35ft., I am looking for an alternative choice. I've read good things about Rejex, though I don't know if it is sold in stores and the on line price of about $19.99 for a 16oz. bottle doesn't really bother me but the $10.95 and such shipping charges do. I am also considering buying an DA orbital buffer. Some folks like the Griot at about $110., I'm leaning to the Porter Cable 7424XP for $5 more, all ball bearing construction and the last buffer I would ever need. If I go the buffer route I haven't decided what polish/wax/sealant I would use. Suggestions and comments would be great!
Kia Sportage on MasterTow Dolly
sherman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #2

Save your money and take a vacation to northern Mexico and get a wash and hand paste wax job for $1 a ft. like I did a few weeks ago.
Puerto Penasco Mexico in the Del Oro Campground.

Actuallly when I have nothing lese to do for a few days I wax it myself and porotect it from Arizona high UV with this liquid.
It will not yellow and prection is outstanding. Designed for fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m6332_32ozflagshipwax.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	27000  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Mothers® California Gold® Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax

Been using Mother's for about 5 years now and it's available locally at Autozone and I believe even WalMart sells it. It's still a big job to do but it's an easy application and leaves a great shine.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post

Been using Mother's for about 5 years now and it's available locally at Autozone and I believe even WalMart sells it. It's still a big job to do but it's an easy application and leaves a great shine.
I may try that next time. You use the liquid or the paste?
Old 04-03-2013, 12:01 PM   #5

Mother's has my vote
MGOBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #6

My dad always told me to mind my Mother! I have heard or read others who highly recommend Mothers, especially the marine was used by Iggy.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #7

I've been using Meguiars NXT, but I bought some 303 Protectant to try this year.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #8

Although 303 will make your MoHo look good, it rinses off with water after a couple of good rains. I use t on my tires, dash, and decals, but use Protect-All on the glas and paint.
1984 19.5' Beachcraft i/o 5.o liter, 4-bbl (and you thought your Moho sucked gas!)
D/W Carole and Maggie the Teacup Lab (Black Chihuahua)
Freds342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freds342 View Post
Although 303 will make your MoHo look good, it rinses off with water after a couple of good rains. I use t on my tires, dash, and decals, but use Protect-All on the glas and paint.
Dang, I'd sure hope it would last longer than a couple rains. I guess I'll go back to using wax and save it for the plastics/rubber.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post

I just went to WallyWorld and bought a can of this wax. I will give it a try.
Attached Images

Old 04-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
ses

I like duragloss 101, 111, 501. 501 is a boat/rv (gel coat) sealer. IMHO, carnauba will leave a little better shine, sealer (synthetic wax) will last longer. Detailer friend of mine says to add bonding agent to above mentioned, to make it last even longer, haven't tried it yet, but will when (if) I get the honey do list caught up soon!
ses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:15 AM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I may try that next time. You use the liquid or the paste?
I use the liquid. We were at Myrtle Beach SC and a couple that owned a Cleaning, Detailing and More company were working on a couple units close to where we were set up. He stopped over and gave me a card and we talked for a few minutes. He has used the Mothers product for years and I saw firsthand how well it worked on a couple trailers and the motorhome across from me.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #13
Newbie.

Paste wax tends to stay on longer than most. Most brands are good now as opposed to a decade ago when only one or two brands would last. Marine grade products are fantastic (try to find one with Teflon in it). But no matter which one you choose, unfortunately the best way for it to stay on is to do a 3 step process (1- CLEAN - remove all previous wax and residue buildup, oftentimes a pre-wax cleaner applied and buffed off is best.....but adding a cupful of white vinegar to your wash bucket will also take most unwanted chemicals off 2- SEALANT - apply and buff with a pre-wax sealant....this fills all the tiny holes and cracks so that your wax will go on and stick much more efficiently....this is the hardest part of the buff job. 3) WAX. This will virtually eliminate any UV penetration and possibility of stain buildup. It will go on and buff off VERY smoothly after the sealant. Yes a 3 step job is a pain, BUT it is the best way to guarantee an amazing shine that will last the season AND repel almost anything.

Also, you can buy bug removal wipes (Armour All and other brands) that you can throw in your RV that can easily remove any residue quickly. (after the above mentioned wax job it comes right off)
Sorry so long winded, tried most everything with all my families vehicles, including boats, RV's, trucks, atv's, snowmobiles, etc.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #14

monte, what product do you use and do you use an electric buffer like the Griot etc. or totally by hand?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
Newbie.

For the pre-wax cleaner and Sealant I used Auto Magic products (they are distributed here in Moncton at a high end detailing shop called Auto Indulgence. Cummings Auto Indulgence vehilcle detailing centre
Mcguire's and Mother's (also Eagle One) all make similar products.
For the wax this time I used Turtle Wax paste wax (LOL only thing I had left in the garage last fall) and it worked fine. It will wear off quicker than others but the sealant is the most important step......ANY paste wax used after the sealant is applied, tends to work better than just wax alone.BUT
The best ones out there are the marine based products. The one Iggy shows above probably has Teflon in it if you look at the ingredients. If possible try to find one with it in there. My family had boats for decades here in the salt water and it was my spring and fall job as a student to wax their hulls. At one point you could actually buy TEFLON liquid wax in a bottle direct from a sales rep. It helped keep the marina crud off the bottom of the boats.
I find the orbital buffer to be too inefficient if used flat against the side of the RV. You have to angle it to get the buffer to penetrate deep enough. I use it only to apply. Great to use with the CLeaner and the Sealant......that's where you want to dig in and then fill all the pores and cracks. For removal I use 2 separate buffing towels. One to go side to side, the other to up and down. Sounds crazy but it works. Buffing the sealant is 5X's harder than the wax.
Also don't forget to clean and then add a quick dash of wax on the inside/bottom lip of your slides. Just like the doors on your cars, this is where water will always pool. It lays here in the folds and screw holes. A touch of wax here will go a long way in keep water from getting in under where it shouldn't.
I've got a new RV on it's way from Michigan and I can hardly wait to spend a day or two with this process. Nothing better than doing the 3 step process on a new unit. Keeps it new for a long time.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #16

Monte, Excellant suggestions and Thanks for the input!
Old 04-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #17

Quote:
I bought some of this today. How did it work for you?
Old 04-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
Newbie.

just found this video on Youtube. This guy does an amazing job and uses a great system for polishing up an RV that looks VERY similar to cfsoistman's Georgetown!!

How to Wash and Detail your RV with Mike Phillips - YouTube
Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #19

Quote:
I spent 4 hours yesterday waxing the TT with the Mothers Carnauba Cleaner Wax (in the can) and I can't recommend this wax if you're doing it soley by hand. It's thick like a hard bar of soap and it's pretty hard to apply. I would have Popeye arms if I had done it all by hand. I ended up breaking out the 10" Orbital Buffer and I had to use a putty knife to get the wax out of the can to spread it on the buffing pad. Using the buffer made it so much easier to apply and the results were awesome. Since it's a cleaner wax it removed all the oxidation and left a very hard shine. It should look good for a long time, but even using the buffer I'm fairly sore today
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wax.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	27422  
Old 04-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #20

Question, and maybe it's been answered and i just didn't see it? When waxing, do you need to stay away from the decals or just wax right over them? On my old tt, i waxed over them and it seemed fine, but i only had the trailer for two seasons before buying my fiver. I want to do it right, and this thread has been a huge help. Thanks to all who are contributing.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote