Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #1

Windshield problem

On our 2008 Georgetown 378TS the windshield has begun to pull away from the body. I only noticed it because we have a full body paint job and the white fiberglass began to show around the window. I don't know if it can be pounded back on or if I have to find a glass installer to repair it. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDR_0222.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	19547   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDR_0223.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	19548  
CVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVan View Post
On our 2008 Georgetown 378TS the windshield has begun to pull away from the body. I only noticed it because we have a full body paint job and the white fiberglass began to show around the window. I don't know if it can be pounded back on or if I have to find a glass installer to repair it. Any suggestions?
I woundn't pound it, yor'll have alot more pieces than 1. I'd call around and find a shop that can handle glass that big. Most likely the gasket is herniating from the frame due to vehicle motion. Maybe the shop can anchor the gasket when re-assembling.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #3

My friend owns a Glass shop. My windshield came away from the body and he repaired it told me that this was a common problem. In fact there was two other RV there being fixed for the same issue.PRO-AUTO GLASS SOMERSET KY. Steve Phelps owner. The guy is good ,the price is good, 30yrs in business.
trell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 AM   #4

What the repair guy found

I took our MH to a reputable glass repair shop and had it checked out. It seems that when the windshield was installed, it didn't fit properly in the first place. A bead of black butyl was applied around the inner window to seal the open seam where the window didn't meet the rubber seal. Another bead was applied around the outer edge to hide the fact that the seam was not fitting properly against the body. This installation was done by FR when the unit was made. In order to repair it, it has to be broken free from the body and re-attached. We had the window checked for leaks and at present there are none. We are considering our options as to whether we repair now or repair later.
CVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVan
I took our MH to a reputable glass repair shop and had it checked out. It seems that when the windshield was installed, it didn't fit properly in the first place. A bead of black butyl was applied around the inner window to seal the open seam where the window didn't meet the rubber seal. Another bead was applied around the outer edge to hide the fact that the seam was not fitting properly against the body. This installation was done by FR when the unit was made. In order to repair it, it has to be broken free from the body and re-attached. We had the window checked for leaks and at present there are none. We are considering our options as to whether we repair now or repair later.
Good news you didn't stess and break the glass in service.......
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote