Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #1

Windshield replacement

SO,

Pulled the coach out the other day for the 4th of July outing, and noticed a small 2-3"crack starting at the top center of the windshield. I already had 3 rock chips "repaired" a term I use loosely, and now a crack. by the time got to the house to load the RV the crack was about 6" long, so I called the insurance company.

They told me to get an estimate from my preferred provider, send it to them for approval, and we would go from there.
I decided to wait until after the holiday to take the coach to LazyDays since they had to replace my rear window anyway, I figured they could do the windshield at the same time.

By the time I got the coach to LazyDays Tuesday AM, the crack was now 11" long and turning left.

Today the insurance company called and said it would be $2,150.00
and to my surprise the insurance rep said that was cheaper than she expected since I had gone to a dealer vs. a "glass" company.

Luckily for me, in FL, insurance covers windshield replacements 100% with no increase in premiums and no deductible, so I am covered. but that seems like a big nut for folks that don't have the same type of coverage.

Have any of you had your windshields replaced on your Georgetowns, and how much was the bill.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:49 PM   #2

I just had mine replaced today. I have a $400 deductible. Was told that the total cost of replacement was around $3000.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Krazymace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #3

MOST, not all, glass is covered under your COMP. Most people will have a low or no deductible for that portion of the policy. My collision deductible is $1,000 ( by choice ) and comp is
$50.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I had mine done a few weeks ago 0 deductible so I have no idea the total cost.
We had a rock from a truck hit us just less then an hour before getting to the Goshen Fair Grounds where we were going for the FMCA Great Lakes Rally. We could not find anyone to replace it there until late in the following week. As we had to get home before that it had to be done in Ontario. The glass had to be shipped from the USA so I'm sure it must have cost them a lot more.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:19 PM   #5

I came to where my MH was being stored to find my kitchen window was broken. looked like a rock broke it. Not a big window by any measure so i called the storage place and they said blah blah but he did offer to pay for it. Thinking how much can a small window be right? LMAO Well i found out quickly....i went to 5 different glass places and all said no can do blah blah blah...one said they can do it but need to order it from factory...to the tune of 1000.00 i almost died right there on the spot. i mean WTH its a 24x24 inch window....16 screws wth can cost so much lol. I couldnt make the guy pay that much and decided to call my Ins comp and they connected me to a company that handles thier glass claims. seemed nice enough so i told them the dealer was the cheapest amount to fix it so they said ok lets let them handle it...three weeks and im still waiting on dealer and i get a call saying my service advisor quit and they have no paper work saying the window was ever ordered... so i call ins and they say WTH we sent them a 400.00 dollar check to order the window lmao as i sit here with a ducktaped kitchen window waiting on my dealer to get thier heads outta thier asses and get my window...i should have it fixed by spring lol total cost 550.00 for fixing it...if and when they do fix it...i MUST ADMIT A DID A GREAT JOB WITH WHITE ALL SEASON DUCKTAPE. AND I CUT A PIECE OF PLEXIGLASS TO SIZE AND ITS GOOD TO GO LOL
Lancaster NY
xman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 08:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xman123 View Post
I came to where my MH was being stored to find my kitchen window was broken. looked like a rock broke it. Not a big window by any measure so i called the storage place and they said blah blah but he did offer to pay for it. Thinking how much can a small window be right? LMAO Well i found out quickly....i went to 5 different glass places and all said no can do blah blah blah...one said they can do it but need to order it from factory...to the tune of 1000.00 i almost died right there on the spot. i mean WTH its a 24x24 inch window....16 screws wth can cost so much lol. I couldnt make the guy pay that much and decided to call my Ins comp and they connected me to a company that handles thier glass claims. seemed nice enough so i told them the dealer was the cheapest amount to fix it so they said ok lets let them handle it...three weeks and im still waiting on dealer and i get a call saying my service advisor quit and they have no paper work saying the window was ever ordered... so i call ins and they say WTH we sent them a 400.00 dollar check to order the window lmao as i sit here with a ducktaped kitchen window waiting on my dealer to get thier heads outta thier asses and get my window...i should have it fixed by spring lol total cost 550.00 for fixing it...if and when they do fix it...i MUST ADMIT A DID A GREAT JOB WITH WHITE ALL SEASON DUCKTAPE. AND I CUT A PIECE OF PLEXIGLASS TO SIZE AND ITS GOOD TO GO LOL
I have been waiting on a rear window for my coach since February. It finally arrived last week. Apparently, the side/rear windows are hard to come by and have to be shipped from FR in a special manner so they don't break. At least that is the story the dealer tells
Old 07-10-2015, 09:00 AM   #7

window

Yeah thats what i was told..They order the window i pay 50.00 just for shipping because they have to ship it in a specially built crate. then when it gets in you have to hope its not broken...eshhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbailey13 View Post
I have been waiting on a rear window for my coach since February. It finally arrived last week. Apparently, the side/rear windows are hard to come by and have to be shipped from FR in a special manner so they don't break. At least that is the story the dealer tells
Lancaster NY
xman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:28 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
Quote:
Originally Posted by xman123 View Post
Yeah thats what i was told..They order the window i pay 50.00 just for shipping because they have to ship it in a specially built crate. then when it gets in you have to hope its not broken...eshhh
That was how our windshield came in a big box. The installer brought it out to our storage lot on a trailer. It was packed on skid in a special made cardboard box.
There were three of them and it was nice to watch them put it. I just glad the insurance company was paying for it. The sad part was that they had the glass in stock in Elkhart but could not find anyone to put it in.
Protect-A-Tow
Falcon35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement