Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2016, 07:03 PM   #1

Windshield rubber molding

Good evening, wife and I are spending the night as I type at our GT dealer in what we may purchase. Long day so far !

I had the dealer install the Safe T plus and with two test drives today showed the unit to be pulling right the first time, along with a few other items we wanted repaired / corrected. We left for lunch and returned later and we're told the pulling issue was corrected. Great ....let's do another test drive I said. Well....now it pulls pretty good to the left ! I was on the interstate both times and tried different lanes !

They will work on that again tomorrow morning along with the AVS switch ? on the generator which they feel may be bad causing the AC' s to shut down ( ACs work without issue on shore power).

Sitting out here in the lot with nothing to do, I now notice the windshield molding appears to have pulled away from the top two corners of the windshield. I looks like an attempt was made to reseal it. Looking at another GT on the lot it also appears to have this windshield molding issue.

The model were close to buying here is the GT 335DS. Is this windshield molding a known issue ? Does have a wind type noise in the corner of windshield above passenger seat at highway speeds.

Any thoughts / info would be great !
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #2

Bump -- service dept is resealing windshield ??? As I type and readjusting Safe T Plus ! I have asked them to watch the the Safe T Plus video on how to install / adjust !

Fingers crossed things are corrected and we can be on the road soon. Camping at the dealership isn't much fun.....lol.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:31 PM   #3

On my 2013 327 my windshield sagged leaving a gap in tbe upper coners where water could leak in. At one point i could see through to the outside. Forest river agreed to have the windsield reinstalled. Long story short. After taking the windshield out several problems were found. The rubber gasket had not been cleaned prior to installation. The rubber mastic just rubbed off with finger pressure. The gasket molds are coated with a wax like substance and the gasked must be cleaned throughly prior to installation. You could still see the wax on the rubber. The sealing bead used to install the rubber to motor home was less than 1/8 inch wide on the moterhome window frame. The window repairman with 30years exp. Was amazed at both these facts. After using a 2 step cleaning and rubber prep process they applied a liberal amound of mastic to the gasket and insalled back on the motor home then doing the same to the inside track of the gasket they installed the window. I would estimate they used at least 10 to15 time the amount of mastic.. the window is very heavy 300 to 400 lbs. If not installed properly it sags. No amount of patching will correct improper installation. Make sure yours is done right. If you can lift up the edges of the rubber molding at the corners think about it.
william brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:59 AM   #4

Well NO go on this unit!

Two solid days at the dealership, (spent night in unit) and they could not correct electrical issue causing ACs to shut off while on generator. After the forth fix, our test drive lasted 100 yards before the ACs shut down and this time the refriderator also shut off !

Also, my online searching of the windshield molding issue was not good !

.......and, also after five or six attempts to adjust the Safe T Steer the techs could not adjust it to keep it in a lane!

The Fantastic fan was also not working on shore or generator and was replaced !

We really liked the unit and lay out ! We brought our over night gear hoping we we do the PDI in the morning, they would correct any small issues we found and we would spend the day, and night in the unit and head home in early AM !

Not to be ! I give them credit for trying to correct these items for two days but by 2pm yesterday I had had enough!

The Safe T Plus issue I'm sure was not the product, but the techs inexperience with the product and not wanting to watch the simple video on how to adjust it!

This is a BRAND NEW 2017 !

So....a night in a hotel...a night in the RV ........two days of standing around dealer lot, and five hour drive back home without a RV !

I give Progressive insurance credit for without question cancelling the insurance I put on the unit Thursday. Simple phone on trip home yesterday and full refund !

Very disappointed in a brand new GT having these types of major issues.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.

Tags
mold