Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
newbie rv'r

Windshield wiper woes

I have a 2010 Georgetown and twice I have lost (blown) the wiper module, the turn signal/wiper control unit and on this last trip I lost the wiper motor also! The 30 amp fuse to protect this circuit is fine never blows (too cheap I guess). Thankfully I have Good Sam extended but that doesn't help with downtime/frustration. I think FR/GT put wiper blades that are 32" to fit the entire windshield and "look impressive" but they are too heavy and catch the wind. Wipers over extend, lock up and blow everything. Has anyone had this problem? The wiper blades are flexible and clean the first pass but any breeze and they are gone. Frustrating and costly even with Good Sam.
delinhigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #2

I believe my blades are 27" on my 2012.
Did you buy your rig new and that was the factory install?
Here is apicture of mine. They work well in rain but can pull away every once in a while when hitting some heavy wind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motorhome Home 002.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	25167  
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
newbie rv'r

New purchase and first timer. Thought about putting new arms on because loop is 1/2" wide so normal replacement blades won't fit!
Old 03-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by delinhigg View Post
I have a 2010 Georgetown and twice I have lost (blown) the wiper module, the turn signal/wiper control unit and on this last trip I lost the wiper motor also! The 30 amp fuse to protect this circuit is fine never blows (too cheap I guess). Thankfully I have Good Sam extended but that doesn't help with downtime/frustration. I think FR/GT put wiper blades that are 32" to fit the entire windshield and "look impressive" but they are too heavy and catch the wind. Wipers over extend, lock up and blow everything. Has anyone had this problem? The wiper blades are flexible and clean the first pass but any breeze and they are gone. Frustrating and costly even with Good Sam.
I met a guy in a 2010 GT378 and he had one arm (pass) blow clean off the windshield mount (drive) and was lost enroute Mich to FL. Think the message may be the shorter arm the better as long as it covers normal visibility area.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 PM   #5

I have 32" on our 2010 337F. The best alternative is to use lots of Rain X. We were camping in the rain this past weekend and I didnt have to use the wipers, the water ran off the windshield. I did order new blades off the internet but it's been 3 weeks and I haven't seen them yet.
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:49 AM   #6
newbie rv'r

Well guess what friends? Just arrived in Mesa Monday evening and had to come down through Payson in a wet snow with jack-knifed trucks and "NO" windshield wipers again. Thought problem had been resolved with 'recall replacement module' back in 2013! NOT!! unfortunately? I had not had reason to use the wipers underload until this trip. passenger wiper came across to driver side and lodged between wiper arm and windshield. Drove 32 miles in snow, ice and wind down the mountain from Holbrook. I am going to get the wipers fixed if possible because when we leave we are going south across to Dallas. Fully intend to send bill(s) to Forest River for payback.