Old 10-07-2016, 12:38 PM   #1

Windshield wipers

It seems a common problem is the wipers blades don't properly touch the windshield. I've tried bending the arm and buying replacement long wiper blades with no luck.

I decided to try shorter blades. As an experiment I bought the cheapest 20in blades for about $4 each from Walmart. Wow, they work great. The original blades are too long to curve with windshield. The shorter blades conform better and still wipe the driver's sightline.

Give it a try!

2014 378 xl
2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Old 10-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #2

My drivers side one works fairly well but the passenger side is the one that maybe touches the windshield only 60% of the sweep. I may try this and get ones a bit longer than your 21" or 22" just to see.

I just checked my original OEM blades are 27 1/2" long. WOW

Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #3

wipers

You can also adjust or change the spring in the wiper arm for greater pressure and contact. Just did that on my 335 after 3 years of trying new / different blades. Seems to work they were supposed to now.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sullivan View Post
You can also adjust or change the spring in the wiper arm for greater pressure and contact. Just did that on my 335 after 3 years of trying new / different blades. Seems to work they were supposed to now.
How did you do that? I see the spring and the clip but have no idea how to increase the pressure with spring adjustment.
Where did you learn how to do it?

Old 10-09-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
RJJ

I'd like to know as well. My passenger side works great, but drivers side chatters. Would like to try springs and/or shorter blades. Prefer spring adjustment to keep as long a blade as I can.

2015 Georgetown 329DS
2014 Chevy Equinox
Old 10-09-2016, 08:53 PM   #6

Me too, my wipers are garbage
Old 10-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #7

What I hate is the herky jerky motion the wipers make going across the windshield. The original blade lengths "mostly" work, but then again, when moving at highway speeds most of the water runs off anyway.

As a side note, you may want to tighten down the nut that secures the whole wiper arm to the pivot/gear. Coming home last week and getting some of the rain from Matthew I had the passenger wiper get stuck straight up -- like it was giving me the middle finger. So, I had to turn off the wipers until I could pull off. Fortunately I had a socket set and just cranked it down pretty tight. It already seemed tight, but apparently using it for a long time (like 4 hours worth) and that herky jerky motion worked it just loose enough.
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:15 AM   #8

What I did was to pull the spring and clip out and move the clip 1/4 inch farther away and then had to lever with a screw driver the other end back onto its place. The clip is held in place by being wedged into the cavity at an angle. it's a real bugger to do but it brought the wiper blades tight against the windshield. I did look at installing spacers on the inside to bring the mounting shaft lower but looked harder than what I did. Have no idea what Jim Sullivan is referring to.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
What I did was to pull the spring and clip out and move the clip 1/4 inch farther away and then had to lever with a screw driver the other end back onto its place. The clip is held in place by being wedged into the cavity at an angle. it's a real bugger to do but it brought the wiper blades tight against the windshield. I did look at installing spacers on the inside to bring the mounting shaft lower but looked harder than what I did. Have no idea what Jim Sullivan is referring to.
I understand about the spring. Did you remove the whole arm first?

Old 10-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #10

Of course. Worked on it in the garage. Just a hex nut and the water line.