Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #1

Winegard Carryout or VuQube Flex?

I've been searching the forum for reviews and information about satellites and need some help making my final decision.

so far...

I've decided not to go with a roof-mount satellite due to cost and input from others on the forum about trees being too much of an obstruction.

I'm going with Direct TV (even though it is not HD) because Dish in PA and NJ won't get all the channels and the main reason for a satellite in the first place is football tailgating at Penn State.

I do not intend to have more than 1 receiver. I gather that I plug the satellite into my cable jack in the storage area, put the receiver in the compartment over the passenger seat and that all TVs (bedroom, Living area and outdoor) will be able to watch the same channel which is my goal.

The last decision is Winegard Carryout or G2 vs VuQube Flex.

Please let me know your opinion on which satellite to purchase and also if any of my other decisions should be reconsidered (before it is too late)

Thanks
dirievi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:55 PM   #2

We had a VuCube and someone ran over it because it's so close to the ground. We then purchased a Winegard Carryout with the tripod. It's high enough to be seen. We have Dish now because that's what we have in our land house. Second reason we have Dish which just recently surfaced: we are SEC fans and currently Dish is the only carrier that will have the SEC Network. Gotta watch my Volunteers. The Carryout is the automatic so it finds the satellites while we set up. And it is portable because of the reason you mentioned - all the trees in the south.
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbryant View Post
We had a VuCube and someone ran over it because it's so close to the ground. We then purchased a Winegard Carryout with the tripod. It's high enough to be seen. We have Dish now because that's what we have in our land house. Second reason we have Dish which just recently surfaced: we are SEC fans and currently Dish is the only carrier that will have the SEC Network. Gotta watch my Volunteers. The Carryout is the automatic so it finds the satellites while we set up. And it is portable because of the reason you mentioned - all the trees in the south.
Fortunately for us Direct TV carries the BigTen network so I still think I'll go with them since I hear Dish has issues in PA and NJ. Was your VuQube the 2100 Flex automatic one? is one easier to use than the other?
Old 06-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #4

Sorry I can't tell you which model the VuCube was other than it was automatic. No I can't say one was easier to use than the other. We sit them out and by the time we're plugged in and water hooked up we have a picture. Good luck !
Sbryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirievi View Post
Fortunately for us Direct TV carries the BigTen network so I still think I'll go with them since I hear Dish has issues in PA and NJ. Was your VuQube the 2100 Flex automatic one? is one easier to use than the other?
Are you sure you would have reception issues with Dish? The Tailgater is half the price of the Carry Out or VuCube and you can watch in HD.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:45 PM   #6

I read a review of the Dish Tailgater from a Penn Stater who pointed out his difficulty in getting reception in State College. The coverage map for Dish points out that PA and NJ have limited coverage for one of the 3 needed satellites. Actually Camping World has the VuQube on sale for $470 (less if you are Good Sam member and call)
Old 06-11-2014, 01:13 PM   #7

If I an correct, the directions on the carry out said it will not work with the cable plug on your camper. It does not work with mine. Installed a dedicated line for mine. I put the antenna on the roof.
2014 RZR XP 1000
Days Camped in '18- 106
Days Camped in ‘19- 23
Tucson Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winegard