Old 09-13-2016, 10:18 PM   #1
dfp

Winegard Carryout Satellite Antenna

Does anyone have experience with the Winegard antenna that can be used for either Direct or Dish services? If so your opinion.

David
2015 GT310DS

Old 09-13-2016, 10:46 PM   #2

If you are talking about the Winegard Carryout antenna, I used it with my Direct TV service and it worked fantastic. If you need to switch to Dish its very easy per the instructions. Set up getting it operational took about 5 minutes. Only thing I not pleased about is I sold mine 3 years ago, and now I would like another one but the price is around $500

bailer6334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:28 PM   #3

I have the Carryout G2 and love it. I had the original Carryout as well and sold it to buy this one. I use it with Directv.
lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #4

They work great for picking up the Sats quick. Just keep in mind that the DirecTv signal will only be Standard and not HD.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:29 PM   #5

Have the original and it works fine if it works. Ours quit working after only about 10 uses (over 3 years--we obviously don't use it a lot) and the only place it could be repaired is with Winegard itself. It costs us $300 to get it fixed. Don't know if the original was defective or what, but didn't discover it wasn't working until after it was out of warranty, so we were SOL. If it breaks again, that will be it--won't be paying to repair it again. So far, so good, but it's only been a couple of months. Haven't seen that that is the common experience, though, so maybe we were just unlucky. I'd just recommend being careful with where you store it in your unit so it doesn't get jostled around a lot. Ours was stored in a storage unit in our motorhome and after the expensive fix, we now store inside when we travel.

Good luck with your decision.

Pat and Deb
Old 09-14-2016, 09:50 PM   #6

We have the auto portable Winegard Carryout and love it. Winegard CO has the auto and an in motion device. The pricing for each unit is different. I call the auto a marriage saver. Plug it in and by the time we are set up (about 15 minutes) the TV is picking up my Dish channels. The person above is correct, their is a dip switch for the change from Direct to Dish.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #7

I had the carryout anser and the first one quit working after the first 4 months. I had it replaced and that one quit also. I have since switched to a King tailgater which is fully automatic. No issues with it.
Old 09-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #8

I have DISH and just changed my King Dome to the new King Tailgater. It works better than the old expensive one ever did. Roof mounted it, but can make it a portable in five minutes if necessary. Had to change because DISH changed their locating signal making all older units obsolete. King Tsilgater is only $350.
Center Point suspension
2005 F-350 6.0 psd CC SRW
PullRite Super 5th
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 06:36 PM   #9

I've been using the Gen 1 Carryout sense 2012. It has been great. I started out with Dish and got disgusted with them and changed it over to Direct. Been using it ever since. Like all dish's it's sensitive to line of sight. But that's just the nature of the beast. It's true that it only works standard definition but with us, we are camping so that's no big deal. We did have to get a compatible receiver for standard definition. The one from the house would not work.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:16 PM   #10

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telstar View Post
I have DISH and just changed my King Dome to the new King Tailgater. It works better than the old expensive one ever did. Roof mounted it, but can make it a portable in five minutes if necessary. Had to change because DISH changed their locating signal making all older units obsolete. King Tsilgater is only $350.
I bought my dish back in 2011 and got it set up and then did not use it...then in 2015 I mounted it on my back ladder and have not tried it since. I do not want to pay to use it then find out it does not work.....When did they change their locating signal?? I wonder if a local dish installer would be able to work on it??

Tags
antenna, satellite, winegard