Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #1
Casper

Winnebago VS Georgetown

Well Camping world has offered to give me my money back on the 2015 Georgetown 328 TS if I buy a comparable Winnebago which they say is better quality. Just throwing this out for some suggestions and ideas.
They still can't fix the noise in the left front of the coach.
williamsgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

No offer to replace with like coach. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:15 AM   #3

Without knowing all the particulars.....

Sounds like a load of BS from Camping World. They'll make some more money on you, and resell your Georgetown for top dollar. They would have to be giving me one huge discount for the trouble.

As far as quality I can't comment. I know in towables Winnebago doesn't do anything for me in comparison to most others.......nothing special. MOHO's might be different, apples to oranges possibly.

Why isn't Forest River / Georgetown involved with this issue or are they?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:25 AM   #4
Casper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
No offer to replace with like coach. Later RJD
They don't have any new georgetowns on their lot in Hope Mills NC. We like our floor plan but so many problems have made us sick.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:29 AM   #5
Casper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Without knowing all the particulars.....

Sounds like a load of BS from Camping World. They'll make some more money on you, and resell your Georgetown for top dollar. They would have to be giving me one huge discount for the trouble.

As far as quality I can't comment. I know in towables Winnebago doesn't do anything for me in comparison to most others.......nothing special. MOHO's might be different, apples to oranges possibly.

Why isn't Forest River / Georgetown involved with this issue or are they?
Kevin at Forest River has been working with us and them about all the problems. Now Kevin wants us to take it to another dealer in NC called Carolina Coach near Charlotte about 4 hour drive from our house.
This is our first Georgetown and it hasn't been a good experience. I agree with the discount well just have to see next week. Tks.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #6

Having owned a Winnebago I would do the trade. Their Class A's are built to last. Just traded my 1996 Adventurer in, so that tells you of the quality. Just my opinion of course.
If I were going to purchase another MH it would be a Winnebago.

Fred n Wilma
2017 Ford F-150 EcoBoost
2015 Crusader 295RST
Fred H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:48 AM   #7

From contacts with folks over the years my take is that Georgetown gives a lot of features for the price but has more quality issues. Never owned a Winny but I have had too many nagging issues with my Georgetown. Ford V10 is solid drive train for both. Coach build quality a problem for GT. All brands have their share but GT seems to have more that are serious. Roof leaks and decaying "pleather" are two of mine. I noticed that the 2016 378 I looked at had a darker brown and tougher looking upholstery that should wear better.
BillMFl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:02 PM   #8

GT

I have owned 2 Georgetown Motorhomes and couldn't be happier with them😀
gmann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:07 PM   #9

Obviously compare the MSRP's, options, etc to make sure apples to apples. If so, Winnebago is far superior. Owned three Forest Rivers, still own one and one 2014 Winnebago, Aspect 30J, world of difference in quality and especially service. There is a reason they have been around since 1958.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 01:35 PM   #10

I have never owned a Winnebago, but from what I see and learn when checking out these RV's and especially when talking to owners, Winnebago is a better Quality than FR Georgetown. However, a similar sized Winnebago is built on the same Ford Chassis as the Georgetown!
From what you are telling us, the noise at your RV is coming from the Chassis. Is it in sync with the RPM's of the engine, the wheels, the road joints? Is it still there when you slightly brake?
Could it be that a bolt fastening the superstructure to the chassis is lose and whenever you drive over a road joint it makes that noise or when the chassis for whatever reason gets twisted? There could be many reasons and a reputable mechanic should at least be able to narrow it down. Good luck and happy camping, Andy
CamperAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 02:54 PM   #11

I loved my Winnie. Very well built interior compared to similar build models. If I were to buy a MH again it would be another Winnebago. Their trailers are just old Sunnybrook with a new name.
Old 11-22-2015, 03:44 PM   #12

You bought that model because you loved it. I'd give Kevin ONE more chance to make it right. I looked Hard at Winny Vistas before we bought ours. My conclusion was that I got less coach for my $$ with Winny but a much superior service/prts organization. Given the same underlying chassis ... I decided to go with FR...who I think is trying to improve their service org. Been very happy.
BTW...I've been to CW in Hope Mills for some minor service and was not impressed. Good luck with the decision.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsgw View Post
They don't have any new georgetowns on their lot in Hope Mills NC. We like our floor plan but so many problems have made us sick.
Tell them when another one comes in you and them have a deal.

Why settle for anything else but what you want, IMO they are trying to rush/push you into another deal.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #14

To see the difference between an d Winni, just open and close the cabinet doors. We had an 89 Chieftain we traded for or TT. The Winni MH are much better quality.
FrankMor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:53 PM   #15

We purchased a new 378 TS Georgetown XL in June. During the shopping process we looked at Winniebego, Coachman and Georgetown. In my opinion there was no comparison Georgetown was superior to everything we looked at. I tried dealing with Camping World in Indiana, who doesn't sell Goergetown but had access from another Camping World location that sold Georgetown. They tried to convert me to a Bounder which I refused to do. Went to PAUL SHERRY RV in Piqua, Ohio And got what I wanted. Not impressed with Camping World. We love our Georgetown and have 7,000 miles on it with only a few minor problem that were corrected immediately. Don't Campingworld lie to you they have access to any motor home you want through their dealership network, if they want to do the work to locate it for you. Don't let them BS you.
Wesley1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:55 PM   #16

Be careful. The main reason for the deal is for them to make more money. Trust me. The only way you can do that deal is to shop elsewhere for the comparable Winnie and get your best price and then deal with them based on that price otherwise you will not be dealing on the same level. If you can get your money back that would be the ultimate. I suspect you will be having someone fix the one you have or you will take a beating. BTW The Winnie is a far superior motor home.
2016 Coachmen Chaparral Lite 29MKS
Rvdixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:00 PM   #17

Kevin Stratton has helped me a few times when I couldn't get my dealer to take care of things. My selling dealer was horrible about warranty work. You might want to consider giving him a chance to make things right.
I knew when I purchased a Georgetown that it was not the highest quality built but it wasn't the most expensive either. You might want to check out this thread on another forum regarding the newer Winnebago's.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: What has happened to Winnebago Quality?

Charleston SC
1 Boston Terrier, 1 Frenchie, Two Siamese
Gonna miss you Toby, Sage, and Izzie. RIP
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:27 PM   #18

Winnebago VS Georgetown

Since 1985 I have owned only Winnebago (Itasca). I now have a 2014 Georgetown. I traded a 2004 Itasca Suncruiser for the Georgetown. Maybe Winnebago is a better coach, but I never was pleased with the service, even when I went back to the factory. Problems like delaminating, the HWH slide units, etc. Winnebago did little to help. I was very impressed with Forest River at the rally in Goshen this past summer.
Noralle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:21 AM   #19

05 gtwn 375 ts

I just paid $1000 to TRY to fix my rlect probs take the winnie and run I will be upgradeing to a pheaton as soon as I pretty up this one
glenn56h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #20

Winnebago vs Georgetown

Having been an RV owner for over 30 years, and worked in the RV industry for many years. I would like to ad my observations to your dilemma. First let me say that I have personally owned 7 motorhomes, 3 diesel pushers and 4 gas units, and 4 travel trailers. I have worked as a sales rep at Camping World and been sales Manager at one of the largest motorhome dealers in the world.

We currently travel in the summers with a Rockwood Windjammer 3029W pulled by a 2014 Ford F-150 Crew, EcoBoost 3.5, Max tow, Helwig rear Anti sway, Airlift 5000's, and Equalizer 4 way hitch. We full timed in a motorhome from 2006 thru 2008.

The Winnebago Motorhome is a vastly superior product to the Georgetown. The design and engineering is superior, the fabrication is better, materials used are better quality, parts availability is unmatched down the road.

They may not be as pretty and they still could use upgrades in the suspension to improve handling and drivability. (this is true of almost all motorhomes)

I can honestly say that if I were to purchase another new or used motorhome it would be a Winnebago product.
GaryHowe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgetown