Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2011, 07:49 AM   #1

Winter Use of 2011 378TS

We will be using our 378TS this winter in the very cold and know about the "artic pack" which is heat pads. Does anyone know if the coach heat has a duct into the water tank, holding tanks compartment area for heated holding tanks? Our last unit (not a Forest River) did and it kept the tanks and water lines from freezing down to Zero degrees.

It strikes me that it should as the heat pads do nothing to protect the water lines. I asked my dealer and as usual he didn't know and did not seem inclined to ask the factory.

Any information on this would be appreciated.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
A line slideouts

There should be a 1 1/2 duct there to blow heat on the holding tank! Any other questions just let me no I work at forest river building these coaches. I must point out though the thermostat running the heat through there is located in the bedroom and will only turn on when its cool enough in the bedroom. I will half to check and get back to you but I think there is a heat pad on all tanks to keep them from freezing!?
Chuck692020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #3

Winter Use of 2011 378TS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck692020 View Post
There should be a 1 1/2 duct there to blow heat on the holding tank! Any other questions just let me no I work at forest river building these coaches. I must point out though the thermostat running the heat through there is located in the bedroom and will only turn on when its cool enough in the bedroom. I will half to check and get back to you but I think there is a heat pad on all tanks to keep them from freezing!?
Thanks for the quick response, and yes there are heat pads on the tanks but that really doesn't do any good for the waterlines, that is were a heat duct comes in. My old unit had the same setup, 1 1 1/2 inch duct and it did indeed keep the water lines from freezing. When it is below 32 degrees that furnace will run a lot.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:10 PM   #4

The storage area where all the water lines run is not heated. We run ours in winter -40 below but do not put water in the system. We use antifrieeze in the holding tanks poured in through the toilet and then to use the comode we just pour water to flush until we get to a climate where we can dewinterize.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
Member-at-Large

If you're using it in the cold are you familiar with the Pirithose System? We saw them at the Hershey RV Show and I was quite intrigued by their product. It keeps the water moving and free from icing from the shore into your coach. Anyone using this system?
Adirondack Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
378ts