Old 11-15-2010, 09:51 PM   #1

Winter use of Georgetown

We are expecting delivery of our 2011 350 TS in a couple of weeks. This is our first motorhome and outside of owning a travel trailer for 8 years I don't know what to expect. I do know that winter use will have it's challenges.

We are thinking of doing a couple of ski weekends over the winter. Can we fully utilize all the facilities of the motorhome or should we forgo the use of the water based amenities during the winter. It sure would be nice to have a hot shower after a day on the slopes. Does the furnace keep everything important from freezing? How long can I expect the propane to last heating the MH in sub-zero weather? I would appreciate any advice or experience others can offer.

Mike

Old 11-18-2010, 09:29 AM   #2

When you ordered your new MH I hope you informed the dealer of your intent to use it during winter months. The MH needs an Artic Package to keep tanks and water lines from Freezing. Also double pane windows will be a plus. Your propane will last at least a week heating and cooking. I had to live in my MH last winter for a week and had no problem, used about 1/4 tank of propane.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370xl View Post
When you ordered your new MH I hope you informed the dealer of your intent to use it during winter months. The MH needs an Artic Package to keep tanks and water lines from Freezing. Also double pane windows will be a plus. Your propane will last at least a week heating and cooking. I had to live in my MH last winter for a week and had no problem, used about 1/4 tank of propane.
In addition to what 370XI said above, you will have to keep heat in the motorhome when not in use or blow out the lines and add antifreeze in the lines. They will freeze and bust with water left in them in freezing weather. Those water lines are tested for 60-90 lbs but I don't go over 40 lbs air pressure. I assume the artic package includes the heat blankets below the tanks. when we ordered our 2008, all that was standard in the XL model. the double pane windows were extra that we added.

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #4

Our new motorhome was ordered with both the Arctic package and double pane windows mostly because of what I learned from knowledgeable forum contributors. It helps to know that 370xl got through a week of winter with less than a full tank of gas for heating and cooking. I had no idea how long a tank of propane might last heating a MH.

I ordered our last travel trailer with heated tanks as well but once I seen the setup I realized that the heating pads would only help to drain the tanks as the tanks hung from the bottom of the trailer but would not likely prevent the tanks from actually freezing in really cold weather. The waterlines in the trailer also ran in areas which though enclosed ran through areas of the trailer where there was little or no active heating. As a consequence I never took the trailer skiing as I had hoped to.

That is my main concern with the Georgetown. I was made to understand that if the furnace is on that there is no worry of freezing. I have been programmed to worry and always find that the experience and knowledge of people with "on the ground" experience trumps almost everything else. I know that I can use the toilet if I flush it manually but I would really like to be able to use the galley sink and shower as well.

Any other wisdom will be greatly appreciated,

Mike
Old 11-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #5

Exclamation Winter Use

MikeA: If you are going to winter RV I would buy a small portable air compressor so that when you break camp you can blow the water lines out. Also drain the low water lines. Winter rving all depends on the temps outside. Below 0 temps are going to be tricky. Also I would buy an anoid rod with the built in pet cock so you can drain the water heater without removing the rod.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #6

370xl - Those are both great ideas. Is the anode rod/drain cock an easy item to find?

I have a very light Dewalt oil-less compressor that would suit the job just fine. I might even try to rig it up to be permanent part of the rig which would allow me to blow out the lines at a moments notice. I would just have to install the air line with a check valve at the appropriate spot with a switch to operate the compressor.

I am not a great believer in using RV antifreeze as I find it difficult to rinse the taste out of the lines. The RV antifreeze around here is ethyl alcohol based and is the worst tasting stuff you can imagine. The MH is "offline" next week and hopefully will see it before the end of the month.

Mike
Old 11-19-2010, 08:37 AM   #7

MikeA, you got the idea. Just make sure you tap the air line into the city fill so you don't pressurize the water tank. Also make the hookup to allow for the compressor to be used for other things like bike tires etc. I am pretty sure your coach will have a house water filter. You will have to drain that manually each time. In addition locate your fresh water pump, it should be above the propane tank, there is a small bowel type filter on the pump inlet side which you may have to empty also. Check it on your first blow through to see if it has water in it, you don't want it to freeze. Just trying to help you out on things that nobody told me!
The anoid rod with the drain is available through Camping World on line I believe. If you are not a member of CW it is worth joining cause they have stores everywhere and great deals.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:36 PM   #8

370xl Sounds like you have though this through. When I researched the anode/drain cock people suggest that they are prone to plugging giving a false indication of a drained tank. One post showed a split tank as a result. I might try to rig up a drain from the cold water fill inlet. It may not drain 100% of the water from the tank but I don't think that will be a problem due to the large expansion space left inside the tank for the freezing water. It will also be another low point drain.

I had a filter jar freeze on my last trailer for just the reason you stated. The dealer (RVW) had neglected to remove it after the PDI. I picked up the trailer in February.
I would most likely fill the water tank from our municipal water supply and forgo the use of the filter during the winter.

If the MH is delivered soon I should be able to do the mods before there is significant snow on the ground. I don't have anywhere I can pull the unit indoors to work on it.

Mike