Old 11-14-2012, 01:15 AM   #1

Winterization

Hello. I am sure that during this season there are many questions re: winterization procedures. I have a Georgetown XL 334DS. There is an access portal underneath the hot water heater with three valves. One is on the hot water line and another is on the cold water line. And a third valve links the two lines. I presume that during winterization, I should close the two valves on the hot and cold water lines. However, should I change the setting on the valve the connects the two lines? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:24 AM   #2

Yes. Close the hot and cold and open the one inbetween. That is the "bypass". If you use compressed air and/or RV antifreeze in the water lines that will ensure all the lines (hot and cold) get done. Also don't forget to remove the drain plug on the outside of the heater and drain it.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #3

One more question re: winterization

Thank you for the advice on the hot water heater bypass valve. One more question - How does one handle the built-in water filter? I do not see any way to bypass the filter. Should I remove it before adding antifreeze to the system? It does not seem advisable to leave the filter in the casing. I would guess that the antifreeze would damage the filter. I have a 2012 Georgetown XL 334DS. Thanks again for your help.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #4

How cold does it get where your 334 spends the winter?

We’re in N Texas and just drain the tanks and water heater, blow the lines out, throw the filter away and put antifreeze in the P traps (takes less than a gal.

Don’t forget to turn the electricity OFF at the water heater.

ab & jb
Old 11-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #5

C-o-l-d

Hello. It gets surprisingly cold in the Central Coast of CA. In the Winter, it can reach 20 degrees.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:39 PM   #6

Yes you need to take the filter out & put in a new one after you de-winterize. Some people have put golf balls in the filter holder to keep from using so much antifreeze.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #7

Yes, take the filter out. Some of us put in an empty plastic soft drink bottle -with the cap on- to take up space in the filer container. That way you do not have to fill up the container with anti-freeze.
GlacierGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #8

I have a 2010 Georgetown 378 and trying to winterize it for a trip back to the factory in Elkhart. Looking up from the ground thru the port into the water heater/tank area, I see the two shut off valves...but not a bypass valve. Does anyone know if this rig has a hot water bypass valve?
Old 11-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #9

My 2012 does. It is between the other 2 & a little closer to the outside wall. I have trouble seeing up in there so I just feel for it.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #10
Tim & Lisa Trempert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlacierGus View Post
Yes, take the filter out. Some of us put in an empty plastic soft drink bottle -with the cap on- to take up space in the filer container. That way you do not have to fill up the container with anti-freeze.
I tried the bottle trick - it didn't work. It stopped the water flow (antifreeze) from leaving the filter housing as it got sucked up to the top. Maybe I need to have the bottle upside down? I ended up just taking the bottle out and using an extra 12 ounces of antifreeze, but I'm curious what others have found out.