Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2017, 11:58 AM   #1

Winterization of Refrigerator in Georgetown XL

The instructions for the winterization of our Frigidaire refrigerator leaves a lot to be desired. Does anyone have a best practice for this process?
Thanks a bunch for your help !!!!!
hfitz7748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:01 AM   #2

You can buy a “winterizing water filter” on amazon.
I made on from the spent filter by cutting off the end and removing the carbon filter inside. Thus making it hollow. I used a 2 part epoxy to adhere the end back on the wrapped it with gorilla tape for extra precaution.
Making it hollow allowed the antifreeze to flow quickly through the system.

It worked perfectly for me.
Good luck
The Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #3

You can also buy a bypass filter. That is what I did. No glue needed.

Your worst issue is getting the ice maker done.
A search will show that some people can get the ice maker to cycle saving time.
My fridge has a test mode. Part of that is to cycle the ice maker. Does not work for me.

I empty the lines at the low point
Blow air through all lines
Dump the water filter
Run rv anti freeze through the pump and through all lines, take care of the washer
I then leave the fridge on and let it make pink ice with the pump on with a full bottle of antifreeze
After several cycles of pink ice I call it a day

I take almost 4 gal to do this.
Washer takes a bit and the stupid filter case is another huge slug
happywhencamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #4

I just posted a YouTube video on how I get my residential fridge ready for winter

Here is the link

https://youtu.be/L5lzSfLpc-A
veepapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #5

I have a fridgidaire residential refrigerator and I was worried about how to winterize it. it is stored in a rv lot without power so the concept of running the ice maker for several cycles to make pink ice won't work. I bought a dummy filter (the hollow canister) and put it in. then hooked up air and operated the water dispenser on the door until it was blowing air (ie all water out). then pumped rv antifreeze into the lines and again operated the water dispenser until it was outputting antifreeze. there may still be some water in the ice maker as I cannot find a way to open its valve to push any remaining water out. but I made it through last winter ok so we'll do the same this year.

I read a post somewhere about a guy that wired a remote switch to the ice maker solenoid so that he could close the remote switch and open the ice maker water solenoid is order to pump antifreeze through it also. but that requires removing the refrigerator to get to its innards and then putting it back. not the job for the casual rv owner.

there is a small valve to shut off water to the refrigerator but it is buried and not easy to get to. some people close it to keep the antifreeze from going into the refrigerator and contaminating the water filter. but the dummy filter canister solves that problem. in spring just flush the antifreeze out the same as all the other faucets. let the ice maker run a few cycles to flush out any antifreeze that may have seeped into its water supply line.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #6

I know some people will flood the ice maker with plumbers anti-freeze. But have you seen how long it takes in the spring to get rid of that stuff in your main lines it’s in the shower out side it seems for ever.
veepapa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, georgetown, winter