Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #1
jcw

Winterize or not?

I live in SW Ohio and where I store my 351ds outdoors, I have a 30amp hookup. Is it practical or safe to assume that, if use my furnace, arctic packs, and even 1 of the AC units with heat strips, that I can store the tv over winter without winterizing?
jcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:03 AM   #2

I'm not sure I would want to do that. If you do not plan on using it for the whole winter I would just get it winterized. It will probably be cheaper than trying to keep it heated over the winter and you will not have to worry about running out of propane or if an ice storm comes and knocks out your power.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
I'm not sure I would want to do that. If you do not plan on using it for the whole winter I would just get it winterized. It will probably be cheaper than trying to keep it heated over the winter and you will not have to worry about running out of propane or if an ice storm comes and knocks out your power.
X2
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

I have my TT in SW Ohio in a park that offers year round hookups, and I store it there during the off season. Talking with some of the full timers there, the last few winters were pretty brutal and even their heated and insulated lines had freezing.
My 2 cents -- for the minimal time it takes to winterize a unit, it's cheap insurance. Mostly because if someting did happen to a waterline , you wouldn't know it until you turn on pressure and then you're already in trouble.
Winterize it.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #5

with such a large investment in the balance why would anyone want to take a chance on water damage and the cost of plumbing repairs.. With the way weather has been the last few years is it worth taking a chance??
RVnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxcamper View Post
My 2 cents -- for the minimal time it takes to winterize a unit, it's cheap insurance.
Agreed. Very minimal time, effort and cost.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw View Post
I live in SW Ohio and where I store my 351ds outdoors, I have a 30amp hookup. Is it practical or safe to assume that, if use my furnace, arctic packs, and even 1 of the AC units with heat strips, that I can store the tv over winter without winterizing?
THIS is a Easy answer NO! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:29 AM   #8

Don't even think about not winterizing. 12 bucks and one hour vs hundreds or more in repairs.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:40 AM   #9

Same answer here. It takes an hour at most to drain and winterize everything. Make sure you also drain the hot water tank or you will have a mess. We've had 2 winters of major SUB ZERO temps here in the Mid Atlantic region. It isn't even remotely worth it to not winterize.

As my husband likes to say, don't trip over a dollar to pick up a dime.

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #10

Same question, but in Louisiana. I'm thinking of storing it near Hammond. Do RVers out there winterize? There seem to be a couple of nights a year slightly below zero.

PaulK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulK View Post
Same question, but in Louisiana. I'm thinking of storing it near Hammond. Do RVers out there winterize? There seem to be a couple of nights a year slightly below zero.
Not the same area,but since you ask yes ,Winterize also! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:20 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
Don't even think about not winterizing. 12 bucks and one hour vs hundreds or more in repairs.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

X3

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #13
jcw

Thank you for the replies. The only reason I thought about not winterizing is an irrational fear of not flushing the lines of antifreeze enough come Spring.
jcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw View Post
Thank you for the replies. The only reason I thought about not winterizing is an irrational fear of not flushing the lines of antifreeze enough come Spring.
Just run all your lines until they are clear and you should be fine. I believe the AF is non-toxic so even if there is a microscopic amount still in there it shouldn't hurt you.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 02:33 PM   #15

If you live where you get weather in the "teens" you need to winterize. The past 2 winters in Texas have not been very nice and during our last two winter trips, we had pipes in our motorhome freeze ( our class B did not have heated tanks and pluming lines are outside/under the Van). You really don't want to take the chance as broken/leaking pipes as they can be very expensive to repair. Ask me how I know .
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi, w/air suspension
30 years RV'ing
11 different RV's
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:33 AM   #16

if you don't want to use the pink RV/marine antifreeze, you can use 80 proof vodka. it has a freezing point of just under -15 F. i learned this trick from a sailboat owner i know; he did it every year for many years. i did not want to fill the residential fridge with pink, and deal with the foaming and whatnot. so i used vodka last year for the first time, and we had an epic cold winter. did not have any issues at all. it took about $50 of vodka to get it done, bought an off brand in plastic 1.5 liter bottles, but worked great. will never go back to pink. still put pink in the traps and some for the holding tanks to be against the valve seal, and remember of course to put some compressed air through the black tank flush to keep anything from cracking in those lines. but vodka is the only way for me now.

the 80 proof stuff is not strong enough to kill bacteria or germs in the water lines; 100 proof would be on the edge of that. but 100 proof vodka is more expensive. also thought about using grain alcohol, the 151 proof stuff, but worried about that strong a concentration not being good for the rubber seals in the faucets. want to try to test that at some point.

Front & Rear Roadmaster Sway Bars
Koni Shocks
Front and Rear Sumo Springs Jounce Replacement
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by willingtonpaul View Post
if you don't want to use the pink RV/marine antifreeze, you can use 80 proof vodka. it has a freezing point of just under -15 F. i learned this trick from a sailboat owner i know; he did it every year for many years. i did not want to fill the residential fridge with pink, and deal with the foaming and whatnot. so i used vodka last year for the first time, and we had an epic cold winter. did not have any issues at all. it took about $50 of vodka to get it done, bought an off brand in plastic 1.5 liter bottles, but worked great. will never go back to pink. still put pink in the traps and some for the holding tanks to be against the valve seal, and remember of course to put some compressed air through the black tank flush to keep anything from cracking in those lines. but vodka is the only way for me now.

the 80 proof stuff is not strong enough to kill bacteria or germs in the water lines; 100 proof would be on the edge of that. but 100 proof vodka is more expensive. also thought about using grain alcohol, the 151 proof stuff, but worried about that strong a concentration not being good for the rubber seals in the faucets. want to try to test that at some point.

LOVE this idea. We have a local "shine" supplier. May try this. We are planning to head to warmer climates in Jan and need to protect the rig until we get south of the Mason Dixon... Then when it is time to use the lines I will partially fill a bottle w Orange Juice and turn on the pump to have my cocktail

We plan to blow out the lines, drain the FW and HW tanks, and pink the drains. until we get into warmer climates. All of our lines (except drains ) are inside the rig. Once we start rolling the heat will be on and we should be good to charge the lines and fill the FW and HW tanks.

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post

Good advice! $16.00 worth of RV antifreeze is a lot cheaper
Coach 350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 10:13 AM   #19

Wouldn't think twice on this, pump $60,pipes, toilet $150, water heater($ 200 to 400), taps( all$120), drain pipes, tanks ( all$ 300 to 400) all could be damage and I'm sure I have forgot something to mention. A lot of money in repairman's fee also, this could cost as much a $2000 dollars not to mention heating costs. WINTERIZE is the answer. If you use during this time it doesn't take that much time to open up and do it again when your done.
Old 10-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #20
WFD

It blows my mind when people "consider" winterizing. It really takes very little time, and the cost is next to nothing. Instead people are willing to risk broken pipes, fixtures, etc. And when talking water, when you find out something has suffered a break, it usually results in a mess and then there is the possibility the break is in a place that is hard to access or you don't even realize till there is water running everywhere. Not worth the risk! If you are in any area that drops below freezing, and that's the vast majority of us, just protect your investment and winterize it! That way if your area gets a freak storm or cold snap, and that happens more and more, you can rest assured you are protected.

Tags
winter, winterize