Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #1

Winterized

ok, I think I got it all done...

Pretty much cleaned all the food and stuff we don't want left in the RV out.

I put the pinky stuff in the water lines after draining and bypassing the water heater. filled the traps...are there traps? lol :P

I've left the RV connected to power for now as I haven't figured out if that is better or disconnecting the batteries yet. With it plugged in I can plug in some of those pest plugs in the outlets.

also managed a oil change a couple of weeks ago. put the fuel stabil in last week and this week ran the generator hoping to get some of that thru it.

The rv cover was a challenge to get on but we got that done. How in the heck was I supposed to get the radio antenna off?

Should I pull the jacks up or leave them down? I noticed just under the hydrolic pump area I have a few drops from it on the ground, not sure yet if it is sweating or I have some sort of a slow leak happening.
fullenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #2

You were thorough so you probably did, but you say you by-passed it, but did you drain the water heater? That was the hardest part of winterizing - the plug was in so tight!

As for the fluid, ours had a slow leak that Ford took care under warranty.
Jim Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #3

I did drain it and I had to hunt a socket long enough and big enough to fit it. the leak is with the hydrolic for the leveling jacks. ill keep a eye on it each time I go out to check on it.
fullenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:01 AM   #4

I would raise your hydraulic jacks. It keeps the chrome shaft from being exposed . if you store it with the jacks down to keep it level i would coat the chrome shaft with grease to protect it. Just remember to wipe the grease off in the spring.
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #5

I was reminded once the water system was winterized, to open the cold water tap to remove the pressure on the cold water. Then go outside to the city water inlet, remove the screen, and push on the check valve. Once pinky stuff comes out you are done. The video I watched said many new owners like myself are not aware of this.

2016 Camping Nights = 32
2017 Camping Nights = 14
Ripley711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #6

Don't put the jacks down. Anything on the ground allows a mouse or pest to climb.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley711 View Post
I was reminded once the water system was winterized, to open the cold water tap to remove the pressure on the cold water. Then go outside to the city water inlet, remove the screen, and push on the check valve. Once pinky stuff comes out you are done. The video I watched said many new owners like myself are not aware of this.
What's the purpose of this? Doesn't opening the low point drain get rid of the water in that line?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:24 AM   #8

This step makes sure that you have evacuated all water from the lines. It is for the same reason you open up each faucet, to make sure that it is protected. Also make sure that you are using the correct pink stuff. Alcohol based liquids are highly flammable and dry out the rubber seals.

2016 Camping Nights = 32
2017 Camping Nights = 14
Old 10-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #9

Quote:
This step makes sure that you have evacuated all water from the lines. It is for the same reason you open up each faucet, to make sure that it is protected. Also make sure that you are using the correct pink stuff. Alcohol based liquids are highly flammable and dry out the rubber seals.
I understand what you are accomplishing, that wasn't my question. I'm just confused at the need besides using more antifreeze. The city connection is higher than the low point drains so I figured the water would drain itself out from that section of hose. I guess it makes logical sense since I do every other hose, why not that one as well.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #10

travyp, I didn't mean anything negative, sorry if I came off that way. Once you push the check valve in, and you see pink you are done and not much extra antifreeze is used. It is really just a squirt. This is the link that I really found helpfull regarding the how to winterize.

I am concerned as I have 2 things working against me 1) I am a 1st time TT owner 2) I live in the NE. Have a good one.

2016 Camping Nights = 32
2017 Camping Nights = 14
Old 10-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #11

Quote:
travyp, I didn't mean anything negative, sorry if I came off that way.
Not at all. Thanks again

Tags
winter, winterize