Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
Airboss

Winterizing

Getting ready to winterize my 08 Gtown 373.
I have found my freshwater tank bypass valve and my hot water tank inlet valve but cannot find the hot water tank outlet valve.
Anyone know where it is?
Old 10-28-2018, 12:05 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboss View Post
I have found my freshwater tank bypass valve and my hot water tank inlet valve but cannot find the hot water tank outlet valve.
Anyone know where it is?
You may have the two valve system where the bypass valve is also the hot outlet valve or you could have a check valve in the hot outlet.

There are several ways to bypass.
Not all rigs are the same.

A photo might help.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
Airboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
You may have the two valve system where the bypass valve is also the hot outlet valve or you could have a check valve in the hot outlet.

There are several ways to bypass.
Not all rigs are the same.

A photo might help.
Thanks,
Check valve makes sense as I suspect if there was an outflow bypass valve it would be within reach or readily visible near the inflow valve.

A picture would be problematic as access is through one of those 4 inch diameter ports and under the coach.

I guess i'll find out if I start to winterize and pink stuff comes out the hot water tank drainplug.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:04 AM   #4

Quote:
Thanks,
Check valve makes sense as I suspect if there was an outflow bypass valve it would be within reach or readily visible near the inflow valve.

A picture would be problematic as access is through one of those 4 inch diameter ports and under the coach.

I guess i'll find out if I start to winterize and pink stuff comes out the hot water tank drainplug.
Do a search at the top of this page. There are 3 different systems used to bypass a water heater. 1,2, or 3 valves. Also, do not put antifreeze into you FW tank. Remember to open your low point drains.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #5

Here's a great thread that describes the different common qater heater bypass set ups:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...st-103381.html

I suggest that you do you're best to confirm what set up you have. Not getting pink stuff out of my water heater would leave too many unknowns for me. Maybe you can get your phone in that 4 inch hole you described to take a video or get some pics. Good luck!
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 12:50 PM   #6

Not exactly what u are looking for, but water is drained from the water heater by removing the 15/16 plug on the front of the heater near the bottom. You open the pressure valve and remove the nut on the bottom.
Jim G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #7

One of the first things I did was to remove those decorative panels with the small access hatches. Doesn't serve any useful purpose since that compartment already has a door.

Just remove the screws around the perimeter of the opening, and the panel can be completely removed. Install it again later if you so choose, but WAY easier to work on and inspect with it removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4836m.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	317.2 KB
ID:	190568   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4842m.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	340.2 KB
ID:	190569  
https://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:18 PM   #8

Compartment partitions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manytoyz View Post
One of the first things I did was to remove those decorative panels with the small access hatches. Doesn't serve any useful purpose since that compartment already has a door.
The panels aren't decorative. They're part of the "Arctic Pack" that help hold warm air in those compartments to prevent freezing of the water lines and tanks. I've removed the ones on my coach too, but I don't use it in freezing weather. I'll pass them on if I sell the coach.

Mark
my10539isok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:01 AM   #9

Airboss I have a 08 373ds and there's only the one it's underneath. It seems you already found it.
scooter313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 06:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Anyone know where it is?
Please explain "Freshwater tank bypass valve". Seems to me another RV world made up description. Never heard it before.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter313 View Post
Airboss I have a 08 373ds and there's only the one it's underneath. It seems you already found it.
What have you found underneath? FW Drain? FW overflow/vent? One of the Low point drains? Enquiring minds want to know.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:13 AM   #12
Airboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
What have you found underneath? FW Drain? FW overflow/vent? One of the Low point drains? Enquiring minds want to know.

Our hot water heater tanks are fully enclosed for the arctic pak. No "decorative panel" to remove. Easy access to the drain plug to drain it but to get to the inlet and outlet lines you have to go through a 4" screw in port in the bottom of the unit under the motor home.

You can readily see the inlet line going into the hot water tank. Just before entry it Ts to a line straight up. At this T is a valve that either allows water into the tank or diverts it straight up. It appears the "straight up" line is what bypasses the inlet line from the water tank to distribute to the motor home directly from the pump.

With some difficulty I can see the straight up line T into a line that goes into the top of the water tank in one direction and off into the motorhome in the other direction. This has to be the outlet from the hot water tank. There is no valve here. It cannot be reached by hand because of the size of the access panel so a manual valve here would be useless from a practical standpoint. The only thing that makes sense would be a check valve that prevents backflow into the hot water tank when bypassing the inlet line.

On our units there are 2 low point drains under the forward aspect of the propane compartment, the freshwater tank bypass valve and winterizing siphon hose are "Once again" behind 2 incredibly small 4" screw in access panels above the propane tank. Thankfully the panel above the propane tank is decorative and comes out after removing 3 screws, allowing easy access.

The hot water tank drain is in the side of the hot water tank compartment and easily accessible.

If my guess above about the check valve is wrong, I expect I will, very quickly after starting to siphon antifreeze through the pump, see pink stuff draining out of the hotn water tank deain plug hole

That is what we found. I'll post more after I start pumping pink stuff.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:47 PM   #13

Instead of pumping pink stuff why don't you just pump water first to see if it comes out the water heater. Does sound like you have the 2 valve/check valve setup. First I've heard for a GT but maybe that's the way it was done for your year GT.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:50 PM   #14
Airboss

Did the winterization today. Went quicker and easier than I expected.

I indeed have a 2 valve system plus a check valve. Took 3&1/2 gallons of antifreeze including filling the traps.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #15
Airboss

Quote:
Please explain "Freshwater tank bypass valve". Seems to me another RV world made up description. Never heard it before.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
It's the valve that lets you suck antifreeze through the pump with a siphon hose without sucking water or air from the fresh water tank.
The pdf file attached was pulled from someone else's post here on the forum, sorry I can't remember who.

Winterizing.pdf